Cheap shanks - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Fishing Forums > Hooks, Feathers and Floss
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 05:06 PM

Cheap shanks

I'm trying to source some cheap shanks with an upturn eye and return loop. They are for trailer flies and my design won't allow for waddingtons or cotter pins so it has to be a chopped hook. The best fit I've found so far is the Mustad 36890. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 05:21 PM
loco alto!

a regular double-Waddington can be cut to yield 2 return-eye single-shanks, and you can use pliers to make the rear-side return upturned if you like. The 2-for-1 deal you get with Waddingtons makes their price similar (or better) than cutting up single hooks
Old 02-22-2011, 07:06 PM

I think I've heard of people using piano wire and just cut and bent to the desired eye shape and length?....also the wire used for tying up spinners...basically the same thing.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Released to spawn

Half made for you, straight wire hairpins, 3" long

at about 1.5c per pin - 60 per dollar!

Mike

Take only photographs, retain only memories, leave only a good impression of yourself, perhaps just footprints.

Your lines, your rivers, your way!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:12 PM

stainless welding wire

I've been building my own with stainless welding wire (similar to piano wire) its about $30 for a 2lbs spool. It works great. Just get the bend started by hand then put it in the jaws of your vice with the free end below where the jaws clamp together (between the jaws but not clamped in) and use a pair of pliers to pinch them together then wrap some thread and whip it off to keep the 2 ends together. If you want an up turned eye just take the pliers and get a good grip on the loop you just made and turn it till you get the eye shape you want.

--Koa
Old 02-22-2011, 08:14 PM

cheap shanks

cheapest I have found are spinner bait shafts available from a number of lure component manufacturers. they come in a number of different shapes. i bought some from jannsnetcraft.com

if thee don't have what you are looking for as a standard shape, you may find it economical to buy the wire and a bender and make what you want.

HTH
Old 02-23-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthman View Post
cheapest I have found are spinner bait shafts available from a number of lure component manufacturers. they come in a number of different shapes. i bought some from jannsnetcraft.com

if thee don't have what you are looking for as a standard shape, you may find it economical to buy the wire and a bender and make what you want.

HTH
would you mind posting a pic of the ones you got? just wondering what gauge of wire you purchased, and if the eye is too big?

thx
Old 02-24-2011, 11:09 AM

cheapys

The best bet is to scour for those mustads, i find they are not a graet hook for holding a point anyways. I picked up a couple 50 packs in the fall for 5.99 each at Gone fishing in Courtenay. I could lone you a few.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookespey View Post
The best bet is to scour for those mustads, i find they are not a graet hook for holding a point anyways. I picked up a couple 50 packs in the fall for 5.99 each at Gone fishing in Courtenay. I could lone you a few.
I think I found a good (local) source for the Mustads, let me know if you want some more. Some neat ideas about alternatives, I like the hair pins. I'll have to dig through her drawer of hair stuff.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:49 PM

very kool dingle....very kool. Im gonna have to bite that idea.......

http://www.mistergreenclean.net
Old 02-24-2011, 06:55 PM

Interesting. Do you not have issues with the pigtail flexing when mounted in a vise and applying torque as you would when you're tying? Working with lock wire on helicopters I find it quite flexible. I'll make my pig tails and then tuck them away with my fingers.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:15 PM

Cotter pins ......... Cutem Weigh im.. If you want to.... And Tie.. Been doin that for years..No heavy eyes. no big cost. Low profile. Sinks fast,, You don't cry when you loose a waddington....
Old 02-26-2011, 01:52 AM

Just a question, but don't the eyes of the cotter pin cut the line? they look kinda square. do you file 'em.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:39 PM
JD

cotter pins

Yes, since the wire is half round, they will cut your tippet ,,,,,if you tie them on the normal way. Don't do that. Instead, bend the eye, up, down, however you look at it. Run the tippet through the eye, thread on a short piece of junction tubing, tie on the hook and push the junction tubing over the back end of the cotter pin. Ala tube fly.

I found some fine wire pins in a craft store, various lengths, ring eye, cheap. Prefer cotter pins though.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:20 AM
Released to spawn

Hairpins plus.....

Cheap Shanks for Intruders

further to the above, straight coated steel hairpins, 3" long, doubled and with protective ends, are available in bulk packs:

a few out of the pack

simple tools to modify the bend at the end to an 'eye'

careful crimping creates the eye

and then the eye is bent up to the desired angle - any irregularities as seen are in the plastic coating, and not the metal - but be careful not to damage the eye where your leader will be attached.

the completed set

completed set in full view

as these doubled pins still measure 3", they can be clipped or trimmed to the desired length for the shank you want to tie on.

Mike

Take only photographs, retain only memories, leave only a good impression of yourself, perhaps just footprints.

Your lines, your rivers, your way!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: