skagit vs scandi - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Tackle
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 01:39 AM

skagit vs scandi

As all my spey experience goes... I been fishing skagit short lines on my switch rods. Dont have full sized spey rod, but deff getting one soon.

As far my switch setup goes.

11' 6wt lined up with RIO skagit short 375gr for med MOW tip use
11' 8wt lined up with RIO skagit short 475gr for heavy MOW work

So far I have only fished 7.5' and 10' sink MOW's on these rods and catch winter fish.

Those that I haven't tested are 5', 2.5' sink and full floater, MOW tips. And summer fishing is our prime fishing time here on St Joe for summer run skamania steelhead. Im planning on using Glasso’s Style flies for upcoming dry line season and need a good line to do so.

Say, for greased line summer fishing, do I need to get scandi head or just fish a floating MOW tip on my same skagit line that I use for heavy fly use? Note, same rod/line lining for heavy and light flies. Do I need lighter skagit head to do summer fishing?
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 02:42 AM

I'd try throwing the 375gr. Skagit head with 10' MOW floating tip on your 8 wt.
and see how that works for you. Should work pretty good.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:04 AM
Junkyard Spey

Toolman nailed it. If you want to smooth it out a bit more I'd add a 10' floating Spey Versi leader on the end of your MOW floating tip.

How you get the line out and fishing is personal preference so as long as it works and is easy no one should care but the caster. MSB
Old 02-09-2011, 03:36 AM

are the floating mow tips tapered or just thinner bits of level floating line?
Old 02-09-2011, 09:09 AM

So, basicly im looking at scandinavian line grain range when lining a floating skagit to a specific rod?
Old 02-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Plastic line aerialist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozswitch View Post
are the floating mow tips tapered or just thinner bits of level floating line?
Yes the floating 10' section of the MOW kit is tapered.I was just out the other day casting my 390 grn. skagit head off of my Decho 5122-4 with the 10' floating tip from the T-8 set of MOW tips, and about 14' of leader and tippet...magnificent casting and delicate landing and presentation.With a skagit head and MOW set you really do have it all covered in one line system.

Cheers,Wild Bill.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Junkyard Spey

Toolman has nailed it...

Here's the way a skagit jedi I know figures it. Your XYZ rod casts a 500grn skagit head nicely with your sinktips and flies of choice.

You decide you want to fish it as a floating line and your floating tip weighs 100grns. You would then choose a 400grn skagit head for the floating line setup.
Some line cranks will even figure the weight of the leader into the equation and some others will just stick a floating tip on the original 500grn head and have at it. Only some on the water testing will tell one which of these different combos will work for a given person.

How you get the line out and fishing is personal preference so as long as it works and is easy no one should care but the caster. MSB
Old 02-09-2011, 12:56 PM

Don't leave your heavy tips at home. Once those skams get in the system for a bit and the temps come up, those things can sulk at the bottom of deeper holes like the coldest winter fish
Old 02-09-2011, 04:23 PM

thank you so much guys!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC View Post
Here's the way a skagit jedi I know figures it. Your XYZ rod casts a 500grn skagit head nicely with your sinktips and flies of choice.

You decide you want to fish it as a floating line and your floating tip weighs 100grns. You would then choose a 400grn skagit head for the floating line setup.
Some line cranks will even figure the weight of the leader into the equation and some others will just stick a floating tip on the original 500grn head and have at it. Only some on the water testing will tell one which of these different combos will work for a given person.
I agree totally with the Popmiester. His posts kind of puts it in perspective. I am amazed at the vast differences in peoples line choices. So much of it comes down to personal taste and preference, personality, and goals.

The only thing I would say is sometimes its a lot less work and funner fishing with a light scandi line if your not throwing much junk in the summer and its also super easy to cast if you back off. Or you could go with as light of a Skagit head as you can stand- use the floating MOW on it for a scandi type line - and then go back to the super light Skagit without the floater for all but the heaviest and nastiest junk. Kind of a Scandit scenario.

One of my personal preferences for fun is to underline as much as I can for a more ultralight feel- and if I overline- I use a really really short, fat head -to go with heavy tips and weighted flys. But...another thing, with a heavier Skagit head with a floater, you can really zing it out there a mile, which is also a blast...Just sayin'....
Old 02-11-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
Yes the floating 10' section of the MOW kit is tapered.I was just out the other day casting my 390 grn. skagit head off of my Decho 5122-4 with the 10' floating tip from the T-8 set of MOW tips, and about 14' of leader and tippet...magnificent casting and delicate landing and presentation.With a skagit head and MOW set you really do have it all covered in one line system.

Cheers,Wild Bill.
Cheers, makes sense really, would make it very much effortless to cast dry with skagit, ill add on my recent nz trip i did throw a 310 skagit with a home made floating tip (front 12ft of a Rio gold 6wt line) and with 12ft of leader and tippet handled a size 12 caddis really easily , of course it also handled a foam behemoth (i think thats how to spell it) that was about 4 inch long to , even had a 8inch rainbow smack the Hell out of it to half a dozen times before it gave up.
I reckon i could blast a 6inch bobs banger a 1/4 mile with it to if it didnt want to bite into the surface on the dloop set
Old 02-11-2011, 12:30 PM

now you got me thinking about light MOW tips This whole spey thing gets seriously expensive...
Old 02-12-2011, 12:33 AM
Scandit sublima virtus

Like I always say, if you want a new rod, just strap on a new line. If you want to Skandit, take a skagit head 50+ gr lighter than your favorite big junk tosser, add a floating tip, back off the gas, and enjoy. For many rods, that's just how simple it is. You can still carry a light sinktip, but you can also do a slo-mo scandi cast with ease. Every rod and caster is different though.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:08 AM

but what you say is that skandit is still a type of sustained anchor cast just slo mo and higher/slower sweep or it can do touch'n'go thing preaty well too? I might have way too many questions as of now, because I dont find myself on the river as much to test out those theories
Old 02-12-2011, 02:26 AM

Yes, you can do both. Here is a cool video of Mike Kinney doing all kinds of cool casting with a Skagit line.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: