Sink Tip Question - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Tackle
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 01:01 AM

Sink Tip Question

I am fairly new to the two handed game and I have been using home made sink tips for a little over a year now. Which leads to my question, how do you guys and gals connect your leader to you sink tip? I have been using nail knots and have ran into a couple problems with this connection. So I tried putting braided loops on and I may be over analyzing everything but with 3-5 feet of leader would the fish not see this? I have been tying double over hand knots in some old tips I have and doing somewhat of a breaking strength study with the double over hand and nail knot. So far so good but I have not floated them yet to see if the knot causes any turbulence in the water. Thank you for your answers in advance and if I am just over thinking everything just tell me that(I am a big boy and can handle critiquing). -Matt-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 01:20 AM

for my tips i stripped off the outer coating (very carefully with an electricians multi-gauge wire stripper) to expose the mono-core. I strip the coating off a couple of inches and then tie a perfection loop. Then connect my leader.I have had the same knot in my "go-to" tip for 4 months now. It has handled many fish with no breaks....

http://www.mistergreenclean.net
Old 01-09-2011, 02:52 AM

This seems like a really good idea, never thought of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmatt View Post
for my tips i stripped off the outer coating (very carefully with an electricians multi-gauge wire stripper) to expose the mono-core. I strip the coating off a couple of inches and then tie a perfection loop. Then connect my leader.I have had the same knot in my "go-to" tip for 4 months now. It has handled many fish with no breaks....
Old 01-09-2011, 03:15 AM
Junkyard Spey

The Perfection loop works great in sinktips with mono cores. On sinktips with a braided core I double the tip back an inch or so and tie a nail knot over the doubled tip, then before setting the knot I slid it up so there is a tiny hole left and stick the 12" tag through then tighten the knot. I use 30# Maxima Chameleon for this butt section. I learned this knot from reading here: http://www.deneki.com/2008/12/dec-hogans-king-rig/

How you get the line out and fishing is personal preference so as long as it works and is easy no one should care but the caster. MSB
Old 01-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Registered Potamophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC View Post
On sinktips with a braided core I double the tip back an inch or so and tie a nail knot over the doubled tip, then before setting the knot I slid it up so there is a tiny hole left and stick the 12" tag through then tighten the knot.
Or use an Albright Special. No tools required.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:17 AM

flatheadmatt,MJC,and Bret thank you for your responses. I am using the Rio T material and it looks to have a mono-core. May be one of you could confirm this for me,never the less I will be striping some of the outer material off of some old tips and trying some knots in it.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:25 PM

steel

All of the T material has a mono core.

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin
Old 01-09-2011, 10:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Nooksack Mac
I usually double the tip over, perhaps stripping the coating, perhaps not; then whip-finish an inch or so of the end with tying thread and a whirling fly bobbin (the same way I make a loop on some floating spey line tips), then coat the thread. Almost as fast as two nail knots, strong and very compact.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_richerzhagen View Post
All of the T material has a mono core.
I realized after I posted that, I thought he said braided core.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Scandit sublima virtus

the best part is, you can make this as hard and involved as you like. The sinktip-leader joint is an OCD love connection.
I fold the T-14, tiefast it, and handhake loop my tippet
Old 01-10-2011, 01:39 AM
Pullin' Thread

I simply double the end of the sinktip and tie a nail knot of 25# or 30# Maxima over the doubled end. I then put either a Perfection Loop or Double Surgeon's Knot in the other end of the leader butt to which a very short leader (a section of 15# Maxima and either 12# or 10# tippet). It is very secure, won't slip off due to the "bubble" that forms from the doubled end of sinktip when the nail knot is pulled tight, and it is very easy and fast to tie.

An Albright knot is another one that uses the doubled sinktip end and it is also very easy and fast to tie while being secure and nonslip.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:52 AM

Thank You all for your responses. I ended up stripping the T-material away to show the mono-core and tied a loop in the end(I used the nail knot with about 6-10 inches left over and just pulled it down the sink tip to expose the mono core). I do have one final question, for you folks that double the T-material over do you ever have a problem with the butt section cutting into the t-material?-Matt-
Old 01-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Junkyard Spey

Quote:
or you folks that double the T-material over do you ever have a problem with the butt section cutting into the t-material?
When it's tied right it doesn't cut into the T-line material and it doesn't come off.

How you get the line out and fishing is personal preference so as long as it works and is easy no one should care but the caster. MSB
Old 01-10-2011, 09:33 PM

Poppy, what are the benefit of this set up ? vs. say the regular nail knot of 30lb "shock" section on the sink tip blood knotted to the tippet ??
Old 01-11-2011, 01:08 PM

If I'm reading your question right, the coating can be stripped off by the nail knot. The coating seems to stay on for a while, then at the worst time it goes.
I use Dec's method of doubling the end then tying your nail knot (as others have already mentioned).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: