Meiser switch rod - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Rods
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Chromer Roamer

Meiser switch rod

I resently got my first switch rod: An 11' 4/5 wt meiser switch rod. I was going to get a heavier rod, but bob claims that the 4/5 wt is the equivilent of an 8 wt normal rod. Is this true? Also, does anyone have an idea of what reel I should get to go with this rod?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Carp aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadMaster View Post
but bob claims that the 4/5 wt is the equivilent of an 8 wt normal rod. Is this true? Also, does anyone have an idea of what reel I should get to go with this rod?

Maybe he's trying to pull the wool over your eyes

Bob probably knows more about rods than anybody you've ever met /talked to/ or even heard about. Especially his own rods.

I have a 5110 deer creek that a hardy zenith balances perfectly. just over 6 oz.

Fly fishing is a remarkably religious-like endeavor in that it requires absolute faith if one is to expect any just rewards. - Bill McMillan
Old 11-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Jack Cook

Perfect

A 3 7/8 or 3 3/4 Narrow Perfect would be sweet
Mackenzie DTX
Speyco Reels
McNett
http://www.steelheadanglers.com
http://www.toltriveranglers.com
http://www.speyman.com

"keep your eyes open, slow down and keep in tune with the river", Harry Lemire
Old 11-04-2010, 09:03 PM

Meiser switch

SteelheadMaster~

I finished building a 11' 4/5 Meiser this summer. Bob knows his stuff and hooked me up with a great trouting rod and line. I love my Meiser, so much so that I am scheeming to get another in the near future. I use my rod on the Deschutes and my "secret" river. Its perfect for both sizes of fish I catch on these rivers. Bob told me I could use this rod for both steelhead and trout on the Deschutes. I have not fished this rod for steelhead, but after catching some hefty trout (5-8lbs) this fall, I am hesitant about using it for steelhead. Could be a lot of fun catching a steelhead on this rod. I am scared because I put so much love, time and energy into my rod, that I would be crushed if I broke it on a big steelie. So, I use my 13'6'' Z-Axis for steelies and keep my Meiser specific for trout. With all that being said, I think this rod can handle smaller steelies, but if you get a 28"+ fish on, it will be a "ride" for sure. Just if you were wondering, Bob is "the man" and you will love the set-up he sends you. He does a great job matching rods and lines specific to the fishermans desires. Plus, his rods are gorgeous and cast like butter!

I have a Ross CLA-4 on my rod. Great reel, and balances it out when the head is out. A little heavy in my opinion. My brother has the same rod and suited his up with a Lamson Velocity 3X which balances the rod out as well, and has a lighter overall feel.(I like my brothers better )

SL2
Old 11-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Chromer Roamer

How do you thik my rod would handle, say, a 12 lb steelhead? Will it be up to the task?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:22 PM

I second the Hardy Zenith - I have one on a DC 11' 4wt and the combination is really nice. A Hardy St. Aiden has a larger diameter and faster pick up, but probably holds a little less line.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Carp aficionado

Quote:
How do you thik my rod would handle, say, a 12 lb steelhead? Will it be up to the task?
According to Bob's website 12 lbs. is the top end of that rod. Biggest fish I've got on my 5 wt. switch is a 10lb carp. Not quite the fighting style of a steelie, but still a strong fish, and the rod handled it beautifully.

Fly fishing is a remarkably religious-like endeavor in that it requires absolute faith if one is to expect any just rewards. - Bill McMillan
Old 11-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Banned

If you want the rod which can handle 2-12 lb fish, 11'5" 4/5/6 Burkheimer ( 330-360 gr Scandinavian head) would be an ideal with ultra smooth action.

However if you expect to land 10-12 lb fish rather regularly, go with 5/6/7 rod of your choice.

Zb
Old 11-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Scandit sublima virtus

Quote:
I resently got my first switch rod: An 11' 4/5 wt meiser switch rod. I was going to get a heavier rod, but bob claims that the 4/5 wt is the equivilent of an 8 wt normal rod. Is this true? Also, does anyone have an idea of what reel I should get to go with this rod?
congratulations on the acquisition of your new concubine

...try a meiser reel in 7/9 or a Lamson Litespeed 3 or Velocity 3, or something similar.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:47 AM

Switch Rod

Quote:
If its the right guy behind the rod, I think it can be done. If I'm behind the rod, I would want something a little heavier. But, really what we are talking about is personal preference. Some guys love to use lighter rods and some like a little heavier rod for fighting fish. I am not sure what your preference is? Find your "sweet spot" and roll with it. One thing I can tell you, is you will not be disappointed in how your new rods casts. Its amazing!

SL2
Old 11-05-2010, 11:37 AM

Adequate in the proper hands

Quote:
The real question is will this rod allow you to hook, play and RELEASE a 12lb fish without killing it. In other words get it to hand in a reasonable amount of time. If your answer is "well, I'm going to have to practice on a few of 'em" then maybe you need to make another purchase. All too often the fish's condition is not a part of the equation.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:41 PM

David1123

I have a custom Meiser 4/5 switch rod in Dark Autumn. The reel I use is a Ross CLA 4 in copper. The color of the wraps the reel match beautifully, and it fishes as good as it looks. One day I was fishing for Smallmouth Bass and I caught a carp. I had no problem landing it, and it was a strong 10+ pound fish in swift water. I think this rod could handle just about any fish up to 12 pounds.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:07 PM

I think Sixrivers has the right question. I've landed large AK rainbows on a Meiser 12,6 4/5/6 and it is up for that task. I don't think I'd choose the 4/5 switch rod for steelhead. Just isn't worth it to stress the fish that much.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:39 AM

I also agree with sixrivers. I will say though, that imo it isn't so much the size of the fish but the situation and the temperment of the fish that would be the big question mark. 10lb fish that is a bit more on the lethargic side, in softer water, probably no problem with someone who knows how and when to pull on the fish. At the same time, a 4-6lb fish right in from the salt and in heavy current could prove to be way too much for 4/5wt imo, never mind a 12-15lb fish.

Lots of factors to consider, but in order to keep it simple it makes much more sense to have a rod that is sized to handle a fairly broad range of conditions. Always best to err on the stout side if in doubt; I'd hate to have to break off the few really hot fish that I do manage to hook, and I would NEVER want to have to play them to death just because my rod was a bit too light.
JB
Old 12-12-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
That is a good big rainbow rod, not a steehead rod. I'm pretty sure that any fish bigger than 7-8 lbs, on that rod, you will be running down the riverbank with your reel a hummin'. Here in the PNW, a 7wt is pretty standard, with most opting for an 8wt for winter steel.

I use an Orvis Access 11' 7wt, and it is perfect for steelhead, but I would not want to go any lower.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: