3 WT spey or switch rod. - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Rods
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 09:22 PM

Question 3 WT spey or switch rod.

Rogue's lower that heck so as odd as it may seem, a THREE WEIGHT, spey/switch rod may be the right answer (I'll not get into the spring kings that are now moving into the upper river.). Upper river is also "ALIVE, I SAY, ALIVE!!" with trout . At an out flow of 700 cfs you could walk across a several sections of the river .. well, not me at a sniff short of 68. I've already taken my share of dunkings trying that none sense.

All that aside, Suggestions?

Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2010, 11:59 AM

Fred,
Gary has a really sweet 11'9" 3 wt spey I have had my eye on for awhile. I am trying to sell a few things so I can get it in time for the Klamath and my trip to the Grand Ronde next fall!!
Old 05-08-2010, 03:26 PM

Fred,

I have the ACR 11'9" 3 wt spey and love it for bigger trout and grayling. I use it with an Elixer 295 and recently also with the CND GPS 4/5.
A friend of mine is using the Decho 12´2" 5 wt for the same purpose. This is a bit faster then the ACR but not by much.
Recently I bought a Scierra HM2 11´8" 8 wt which actually throws the same lines as the ACR, but is much different in action.
Also look at the LOOP GASS6120-4A, although a bit expensive.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:41 PM

Bigger might be better

Fred,

For the past 3 years I've done about 80% of my trout fishing with some kind of a double-hander. I started down the same path as you're talking about. I got one of the smallest rods I could (I settled on one of Meiser's 4 wt switches). Since that time I've figured out a few things.

1. A switch rod is no substitute for packing a short single hander for dead drift dry flies. It can be done but, its not the right tool for the job.

2. On most trout streams I fish on you'll catch more fish if you can hit the other bank. Trout tend to hold the banks even tighter than steelhead. Other than big wide tail outs you'll catch 90% of your fish with in 10 feet of either bank. If you can't hit the other bank you're missing about half of your fish.

3. There is no need to throw super light tippet swinging soft hackles, stripping streamers, or skating bombers so, a softer rod is not needed to protect tippet.

4. Fighting fish even with my little meiser is in no way comparable fighting fish on a single hand 3 or 4 wt. Its all about the take after that it tends to be anti-climactic.

5. Its a real PITA to find a variety of lines for anything less than a 5 wt. You can take you pick from a scandi or a skagit. I know you can fish a long single hand line but, those lines are so light per foot that they can be very hard to get proper anchor placement if there is any kind of breeze at all.

The morel I took away from these observations is that one of the new 12'-ish 5 wts. is the perfect trout rod. I ended up settling on the 5 wt. decho.

I have 3 or 4 lines that work well on that rod but, about 75% of the time I have an airflo tactical steel head line on there. Its short enough to stay out of the bushes but long enough to throw T&G type casts well. Plus, you can throw light tips on there (t-7 or t-8).

The rest of the time the rivers are either very cold and I want to put the fly right on the bottom or the water is big and muddy and big streamers are the ticket. In this case I throw a skagit with 4 - 10 ft chunks of t-10 to 12. Shorter tips allow you to throw more grains per foot which turns over big streamers much better.

Keep us posted on what you decide. I'm really curious what other people come up with for trout rigs and tactics.

Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

--Koa
Old 05-08-2010, 07:31 PM

Gary Anderson's 3 and 4 wt. spey rods are perfect for what you're planning to do. They come with a matched head, so no need to search around for the right line. Around 270 gr. short scandi for the 3 wt., 300 gr. for the 4 wt. and the CND 4/5 as a longer belly for either one and you would have a great trout/light steelhead outfit.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:02 AM

Lightbulb Super information Fellows, just Super!

Keep it coming!
Fred
Old 05-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Scandit sublima virtus

Fred,
I caught two nice steelhead of about 9# each and a pile of searun cutts last season on my 12'6" 3/4/5 Meiser in Classic action. What a hoot!

the rod is also available as an "S" rod, which I think gives me reason to see the grass as greener over there. Good luck in your quest, ultralight options are numerous and attractive.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Keep it coming!
Fred
Fred,
I've been using an Echo 4 weight switch lately. I line it with a Wolf Ambush 7 weight or a SGS 260 compact scandi. Lots of fun swinging streamers or indi nymphing for trout 12' -20" on the Truckee. The SGS works good on dry fly presentations too.

I will be in your area on July 12 to pick up a Meiz ( i hope anyway as he is super busy and backed up with orders ) so if you want we can go and try both rods and some lines then you can see if you they work for you.

Pete
Old 05-09-2010, 10:49 AM

Accepting I couldn't afford a 3/4/5 Meiz or ACR this year after an exy trip to Europe I settled for a cheaper alternative & it is a HOOT!

I grabbed a Amundson Spey Trouter 3/4. I've been catching 4-6 inch cutties on it & it is alot of fun. Even these tiny fish put a bend in it.

It is a fun little rod that is very nice to cast. I'm using a 295gr elixir on it. Can recommend it for sure as a cheaper alternative with as good warranty.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:33 AM

Koa's right in bringing along a single hander for some situations, but I find when I do, it rarely leaves the tube. There's just something about two hand casting that is more rewarding.

The string I use on my Meiser 3/4 switch with is, generally, an Airlfo Scandi from 270 to 300 gr. Don't be fooled by the "3/4" designation. the rod has some spine and would work a summer steelhead just fine.

Re the Echo: A friend let me cast his Echo 5wt last week and it is a great little rod, particularly for the price. (Although the consensus among the casting cogniscenti at the LB Casting Club, was that the recommended line was not ideal for the rod.) I can't remember the grain weight that made it sing, but it was an Airflo Scandi. If interested, I will find out for you.
Have fun.

FFF - CI / THCI
Nextcast PRO STAFF
Old 05-09-2010, 04:25 PM

Fred, there is currently a Decho 5 wt offered in the classifieds.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:10 PM

For a trout rod, a 5 wt. spey, in my experience, is serious overkill. I've landed Atlantics of 15+ lbs. on my 5 wt. with no problem. I've also landed 15" trout that fought mostly against the weight of the shooting head and didn't have a chance against that same rod. A 5 wt. spey that throws a 300+ gr. head just isn't the same kind of rod as a single handed trout rod that's matched with 140 gr., casting styles aside.

Rods like Anderson and Meiser 3 and 4 wts. are more suited to trout, but still plenty capable of throwing out to 80' with the right lines.
I have an Anderson 3 wt. "trout spey" that's great for trout on most streamers and softhackles and will even throw some big heavy flies with a Skagit head. It's fun to cast and the right size for the fish and flies.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Fishes with Wolves

Line weight designations?

There has been some serious discrepancies in these rods as far as line wts.
As mentioned above a 5wt throwing 300 grains is not a 5wt, it's somewhere between a 10 & 11 wt. That ought to make those 14 inchers a kick in the ass!

I went down this road several years ago - trying to find a true 3 or 4wt trout two hander. My brother-in-law works at Sportco and after listening to my desires managed to put a 5wt TFO prototype in my hands. I don't remember what it was...a Lefty Kreh something or other. As he handed it to me he mentioned that it threw a DT8 real well......I guess he wasn't listening after all. And as he said, it threw a DT8 real well, but so does my RPL8100...

I could see that I was going to have to try and build what I wanted. I started with a Five Rivers blank from Dan Craft. One of the 10' 3wts was ordered and put together. The advertised grain window was 100-200 grains. As you might guess, it throws a DT5 or DT6 real well. Not exactly what I was looking for but at least I was getting closer. My friend liked it so much I built him one too.

I kept hunting for another blank and eventually found a 10' 3wt from Dorber Group. When I got my hands on it I put the sections together and gave it a wiggle. At last! Here was a true 3wt ten footer! I added 9 more inches under the handle and wrapped it up for a total length of 10'-9" It throws a Wulff TT4 like a dream.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:11 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Nooksack Mac
WW, I like the look of that rear grip, so much more practical than the truncated stub typically found on switch rods. Is the front grip long enough? I guess it depends on your casting style.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:25 PM

Weather I have the new toy or no, sounds like a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laskier View Post
Fred,
I've been using an Echo 4 weight switch lately. I line it with a Wolf Ambush 7 weight or a SGS 260 compact scandi. Lots of fun swinging streamers or indi nymphing for trout 12' -20" on the Truckee. The SGS works good on dry fly presentations too.

I will be in your area on July 12 to pick up a Meiz ( i hope anyway as he is super busy and backed up with orders ) so if you want we can go and try both rods and some lines then you can see if you they work for you.

Pete
Be sure to follow the fish reports over Gold Ray dam for fishing for Spring Kings. The Corp of Eng's are only running water out of Wm Jess dam (and the air temperatures are staying waaaaay cool) doubt they're going to run that up for a few weeks. This will hold the fish in the mid-upper river, and at some point they're going to come up en-mass. This will require (in all likelihood) a 'meat stick' with a good collection of sink tips for bottom dredging. Flies will be on longish leaders and just a ball of red chenille over a green ball. Can't get less exotic than that? The key thing is being able to get down to the bottom of the river and stay there as long as possible.

At that time, the river below Grants Pass should be holding quite a few summer run Steelhead too. Choices, soooo many choices.

fae

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: