Line for switch rod - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Rods
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2010, 09:30 AM

Line for switch rod

I am thinking of buying the St. Croix Imperial switch rod in a 7 or 8 weight for fishing Atlantic Salmon . Would appreciate hearing if a standard weight forward line will do well with this rod or if not any recommendations would be welcomed . Thanks........Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codroyriver View Post
I am thinking of buying the St. Croix Imperial switch rod in a 7 or 8 weight for fishing Atlantic Salmon . Would appreciate hearing if a standard weight forward line will do well with this rod or if not any recommendations would be welcomed . Thanks........Frank
You'll want to over weight your rod by at least two line weights.

I use a Deer Creek 11' 9 wt. switch rod from my skiff in tidewater for salmon, lined with a 12 wt. Rio Outbound overhead intermediate line (this is a fairly powerful rod hence the 3 size over weight). This line allows me to throw a roll cast at the end of the retrieve to straighten it out, then just pick it up and shoot a two handed cast of 60' easily and efficiently.

And I use an Echo 10'10" SR 7 wt. switch rod lined with a Rio 9 weight Steelhead and Atlantic Salmon (SAS) line when wading small steelhead rivers where I really don't need my longer spey rods, for either swinging sub surface or drifting nymphs down narrow channels. This is a great line to either OH cast or single spey cast, and also roll cast and mends well.

So would suggest up-weighting by two line sizes or more, definitely weight forward, and go with the Rio SAS line, or something similar that is made for both OH and single spey casting...

And before you buy the St. Croix, you might want to look at the new line of switch rods Beulah has come out, specifically made for east coast beach casting to atlantic salmon, stripers, etc..it's so new it's not even on their web site yet, so best to give them a call about it. I just talked to their reps at the Corvallis fly tying show, and they are very excited about this new rod..
Old 03-17-2010, 12:28 AM

I have the 11' 7wt imperial. The lines i use for it is 375gr skagit, 8wt Royal Wulffs Ambush and Royal Wulffs 8wt triangle taper steelhead line. I feel the rod is a little soft to overline it times 2...... My 2 cents......Good Luck
Old 03-17-2010, 03:01 AM

Location: (Alaska) Kenai R., Russian R., Willow Ck., Ship Ck.
Hey Irish.
How do you like that rod? How does it stack up against the others in your opinion or any others you may have cast?

I am toying with the idea of getting one, maybe a 6wt, but not sure.

Here is another post with some good info. I posted grain weights in it for all the Imperial switch rods.
http://speypages.com/speyclave/showt...mperial+switch
Old 03-17-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meigsrock View Post
Hey Irish.
How do you like that rod? How does it stack up against the others in your opinion or any others you may have cast?

I am toying with the idea of getting one, maybe a 6wt, but not sure.

Here is another post with some good info. I posted grain weights in it for all the Imperial switch rods.
http://speypages.com/speyclave/showt...mperial+switch

I'm pretty much a newbie, and I really don't have any rods to compare it to. I did have a chance to try a Beulah 7/8 switch 2 weekends ago, and if I was to put them side by side. I would have to say, for the money, you can't go wrong with St Croix. Don't get me wrong, I like the Beulah stix a lot. In fact I purchased 2 of them on Monday. The 13'2 7wt platinum and a 7/8 switch for smaller rivers. A person that can give a better comparison would be Doug aka Woodlander. He gave it a go ( as he would say ) and seemed to like the St Croix. Another head I got to try out on it was the Elixir 7/8 switch. I felt ( in my opinion ) that was a great line for that rod. If you were thinking of using a 6wt for summer runs, that rod may a little light. But, it would be great for big rainbows and smallmouth bass. Again my 2 cents.

Last edited by irishfisherman; 03-17-2010 at 08:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: