running line choice - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Tackle
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2009, 11:13 AM

running line choice

I have been using a Skagit casting outfit consisting of a Meiser MKS 13' 9/10 wt. rod, Rio 650 gr. Skagit head and 10-15 ft. sinktips. Last year I tried a Airlow ridge running line and after 20-30 casts I had so much twisting and tangling that it was not usable. I am wondering if my experience is unusual ? Any suggestions for another running line choice for this outfit? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009, 12:23 PM

I think it is pretty unusal as I have a ridge line as well and mine has never done what you speak of in the season I fished with it. I would take it off and re-spool it, but be sure that you have it streched out and straight so as to not induce any twist during the re-winding.

Many people here like the ridge line and feel it is a top tier running line. You might also consider the Monic GSP as there are a number of Monic-lovers here as well.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to beau purvis
what diameter are you using...30 less likely to do that
Old 09-01-2009, 12:38 PM

If you use the SEARCH function you'll find there was a fairly long thread on this very issue recently. I use a bunch of different running lines and have to admit that I like each of them for specific uses. If you're absolutely finished with the Airflo, try the Monic running line in 0.030". It's now the one I use more than anything else for most speyfishing.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:38 PM

I had a similar experience with the Ridge, but it was more like a couple hundred casts. I could very well be that I did not keep it clean enough. It is still on one of my reels, so a good cleaning is next.

I have also used the Monic GSP. The Monic fished great out of the box, but later began to become very sticky. I would compare it to that residue that athletic tape leaves behind. Eventually, the coating failed and there was core separation.

The Rio Powerflex shooting line is a good all round line that I have never had any complaints about. But, for some reason it doesn't knock my socks off in terms of shootability.

I have had very positive experiences with Miracle Braid and Amnesia. When comparing the price to performance ratio, I think Amnesia is in a league of its own.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Plastic line aerialist

Thumbs up Ridge running line....

I run the Airflo 30# ridge running line on my 14'5" 9wt Berkie when casting a 650 grain skagit head and tips of T-14 of varying lengths,and have had no such problems as you describe.I also run the ridge running line 20# on my 5wt in conjunction with skagit and scando heads....again no problems....after many,many,many,MANY hours of casting-fishing.

Wild Bill
Old 09-01-2009, 07:08 PM

I fished a bunch with the sharkskin shooting line in freezing and below freezing temps here in Calgary last winter, and never had a tangle or twisting problem. I was fairly impressed, no problems what so ever.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:47 AM

Thanks to all for the input. I was using the 30#. I have ordered a Monic GSP to try something different.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:45 PM
Scandit sublima virtus

also, suggestion-
take a look at how you're stripping in and handling the line, you may be helping it twist rather than helping it untwist.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:19 PM

Question Running line

Has anyone used the Guideline "Shooter" running line? I have a spool of it but have not put it on the reel yet as it seems to be extremely stiff and springy. Will this straighten out with use?
Old 09-08-2009, 12:54 AM

Running Line

Some of my friends use Ridge Running line and its ok. I have Guideline Compline #30 on all my reels though. I have not had a problem even during winter with compline. Monic is ok I have used it and another friend of mine uses it for summer fishing. As for the twisting problem you have mentioned... you can have that problem with all running lines. TO PREVENT that problem when you spool the running line on your reel; the running line Must go off the spool the SAME way it goes on your reel, both spools must rotate in the same direction. When you reel one way and the running line comes off its spool in a differant way you are pooting a twist in it right out of the starting gate before you get it wet. Hope this helps.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:20 AM

Location: British Columbia, Canada fishing the West Kootenays mighty Columbia, Dean, and the Clearwater
GB...how did you reel it onto your reel? Did you happen to lay the spool on the floor and let it play off of the spool sideways, instead of reeling it directly from the spool with some form of axle.

If you laid it up on the reel by laying the spool down on the floor , you introduced a half twist on each revolution of the reel. Just thought that might be the problem.

Eumer Tube Fly Prostaff

Nor-Vise Prostaff

Daiichi hooks Prostaff

Airflo Fly lines Prostaff
Old 09-08-2009, 12:23 PM

Suggest what's been mentioned including letting your ridge line fully out so it can untwist and give it another go. Have it happily on nearly all my spools except a few integreated lines (it's with any head combo at minimum that I run).
Old 09-08-2009, 01:03 PM

I did, in fact, put the spool of running line on the floor and reeled it up from there. I will try the suggestions about using some sort of axle and reeling it up directly. Thanks for the help gentlemen.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:33 PM

Location: British Columbia, Canada fishing the West Kootenays mighty Columbia, Dean, and the Clearwater
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrenowitz View Post
I did, in fact, put the spool of running line on the floor and reeled it up from there. I will try the suggestions about using some sort of axle and reeling it up directly. Thanks for the help gentlemen.

That is what happened then. If you tie flies, you will see what I mean. Wrap thread around the hook shank for it's entire length...then let the bobbin go and it will twirl around counter clockwise for quite some time.

You should strip it off the reel now and lay it in a pile. Take a damp towel and pull the running line through it. All the while gripping the line fairly tight. You will see it wanting to untwist. Have someone REEL the straightened line onto another reel so it doesn't retwist again. You will have to untangle the mess on the floor once in a while as the twists will get quite tight as you pull the line through the towel.

Another way is to anchor one end to a nail on a fence post and pull it all from the reel.. Wrap a DAMP ( otherwise it will burn the line) towel around the line at the anchor point and walk down the line....SLOWLY you don't want to burn it. You will see the line jumping around as the twists come out from the pressure of the towel , Then wind it back onto the reel while laying on ground...this way it will go on untwisted.

Eumer Tube Fly Prostaff

Nor-Vise Prostaff

Daiichi hooks Prostaff

Airflo Fly lines Prostaff

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: