Redington CPX switch rods - Page 2 - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Rods
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderfly View Post
Just got my new CPX 6wt switch last week and have been using it to death. I love these rods, the price can't be beat and the feel is awesome. Caught a 10lb hen on the rogue and it handled the fish with ease. I also have the 8wt 13'3" spey CPX and that's just as nice. Both rods have the new reels to go with it, the CDL and they are as nice.

Borderfly
Well it is about the cost of the deer creek switches (a smidgeon higher I believe), so assume these are noticably better than the deer creek?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2009, 02:34 PM

Bump, for the last question.

I'm curious about the 5wt CPX Switch myself. What's recommended for overhead work?
Old 07-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Bill_I

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Bump, for the last question.

I'm curious about the 5wt CPX Switch myself. What's recommended for overhead work?
on mine i prefer the rio afs for overhead as well as spey.

steelhead/salmon single hand tapers, two up also work well for dual spey and overhead work.

the sa gpx and rio grand single hand wf-f in 6 wt work well for over head dry fly large water trout single or double hand. this would also work well for thoughs looking to nymph. the con is they don't spey & roll cast as well as others.

i have been playing around with 3 cpx switches for about 6 months now non stop. for myself and my waters here i have concluded it is a great benefit to also be able to smoothly over head, two hand cast with any switch on rivers here. their shorter length (quicker in the hand) lends themselves to this very well as compared to 12' + two handers. if there is room why not?

hope this helps your quest. just my .2 cents
Old 07-20-2009, 03:27 PM

Bill, I do appreciate the relevant advice. You mentioned using the AFS for spey casting as well. Are you using it with skagit techniques and weighted tips, or more just trad spey work?

I'm asking because I currently have a Rio Saltwater WF7F on a Sage 1680 reel that looks to be a fairly similar taper to the AFS, and I would love have a Switch rod option without having to buy a new line/line system and reel. There'd be some coiling issues in cold water, but I can deal with that.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Bill_I

Cliff - P.M. sent.

Bill

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: