Replacing Spring and Pawl for Hardy Fly Reels - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Tackle
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 07:31 PM

Replacing Spring and Pawl for Hardy Fly Reels

I have purchased several older Hardy fly reels over the years, St. Aidan, Marquis Mult 8/9, Marquis 6 and Marquis 10. The drags on all of them appear worn as when I adjust the drag there is no difference.

I have located a source of replacement parts on the internet. Is replacing the spring and pawl on these reels something that anyone can do?

Thanks.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 10:28 PM

It`s pretty simple and straightforward to replace springs and pawls . You might find the springs a little more fidgety than the pawls , but nothing to stress over .
Old 03-12-2009, 10:38 AM

You absolutely can do it yourself. Just becareful not to scratch the reel while removing the spring with pliers. I use rubber coated needled nose pliers. Gotta love the simplicity of those Hardys!

-Zack
Old 03-12-2009, 11:15 AM

I greatly appreciate the replies. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:31 PM

Being in central PA.. the new Hardy US headquarters is in Lancaster (my hometown). Look them up if you haven't already ordered the parts - they will likely have to order them in from the UK but they are very reasonably priced.

I've heard of people using a wooden chopstick to push the springs in and out. Seems like a good tip and will avoid scratching anything. I did mine by hand but they can be stubborn so I can see where a tool of some kind would help.

Eric
Old 03-12-2009, 01:39 PM

Location: R Eden, Border Esk and Annan- plus Dee, Spey and Tweed
Duplicated check

Given that the reels have a duplicated check mechanism, I wonder whether you need new parts? It might be worth reversing the spring(s) and swapping over the pawls and seeing whether it makes a difference. I'm not sure on all of the reels whether there is a huge drag range, anyway. I note that the new Marquis reels have been redesigned slightly to increase the drag range. I had a Marquis #1 some years ago that simply would not produce much drag and almost overran when my fly was taken by a very cross 5 lb sea trout on a river in SW England.

Incidentally Hardy used to do a "comfort pack" (no jokes please!) containing some spare parts for specific reel models. They sometimes come up on eBay but I can't remember exactly what they contained.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:31 PM

Dave I don't mean to steal your thread but I have a similar issue on a jw young 4" wide, I don't seem to get much increase in the drag adjustment... I have been wondering if a guy couldn't get ahold of some good spring steel and use your old spring as a template to bend new ones? Question is where to find good spring steel?
john

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: