A 13-14 ft 7 or 8 wt. thats good for scandi? - Page 2 - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Rods
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Speyladdie

A 13-14 ft 7 or 8 wt. thats good for scandi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenburn Drift View Post
I can't believe no one has mentioned this rod. It is a little pricy but hands down the best 7/8 Scandi throwing spey rod on the planet is the Winston BIIX 7/8 13'3. The two best scandi heads for it are the Rio AFS 7/8 floating line right out of the box and the Vision Ace Scandi Head customized by Deschutes Angler specially for this rod. Both use polyleaders, 10' for the Rio and 14' for the Vision Ace. Weighted or floating polyleaders per your needs.

For a sinking line I use an Airflo 570 g Compact Skagit or NW Skagit 7/8.

The AFS S3 and S4 sinking shooting heads are not for steelhead as they are impossible to mend but I understand they do work for Atlantic Salmon.

Just so other guys looking for similar set ups dont get mixed up here.
The Guideline S3 and the S4 are perfect for swinging on rivers such as the Mo.
Pete H and myself started using those 2 specific lines about 3/4 years back and now dont use anything else when the water is a little high or indeed running at normal levels when you need to get your flys down a little deeper.
No,you cant mend them to the same degree as floating lines but you can still mend them if you do so right after you have made the cast.
When we use these lines,the cast is made at approx. 60 degrees,make a litttle upstream mend if required and let em swing.
We have caught enough fish on this system to say it definately works.
Speyladdie.
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2008, 12:47 AM

full sinkers

they rule, and although you can mend them, there is very often no need to mend - talk about slow and low....

not sure if Glenburn Drift know of what he speaks...that full sinkers (specifically AFS) aren't for steelhead?

quite the contrary in my experience.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:11 AM

I totally agree that you can fish for any species with a full sinker. Really what's the difference between a full sinking shootinghead and a Teeny TS that seems to be a legendary steelhead and salmon line?
Old 10-14-2008, 01:46 PM

I second Voodoo's recommendation-Meiser's "hybrid" rods rocks with a scandi head. I have the 13' 7/9 with a improved AFS line. Easiest casting set up I have ever fished with.

-Zack
Old 10-14-2008, 03:29 PM

A 13-14 ft 7 or 8 wt. thats good for scandi?

All Burkheimers in that range are beautiful with the"scandi" style of casting.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Mount Shasta Paranormal

Particularly the Burkie 8143, which would be my second choice to the Winston BIIx 7/8 13'3" rod as a sweet scandi rod. The third is the T&T 1307/3.

As for "not knowing of what I speak" regarding the Rio AFS S4 sinking shooting head for STEELHEAD, you are probably right. For west coast summer and fall steelies in the rivers I fish, (Deschutes, N. Umpqua, Trinity, Klamath)the fish are looking up and the water depths I fish are usually 4-6 feet deep so getting down 1' to 2' in depth is usually plenty this time of the year.

I found it less than satifisfying to have to go through the histrionics of a three step cast (roll cast to get it up, a short cast to get direction and load and then a third cast to shoot the line) to cast the AFS S4 line I couldn't see to mend (the line is black) after it hit the water. Why not cut to the chase and use a skagit line that I can single spey up in one movement and then forward cast? Then I can mend it if necessary, why not indeed.

For me it's about the fishing, not the casting. And casting beyond 60 to 70 feet is rarely required on the rivers I mentioned. The right tools for the job for my limited ability is skandi for floating and intermediate lines for flies in sizes 2-12 and Skagit for Sinking lines and fly sizes 2/0 to 6 as it applies to the SEVEN weight spey rods I own, the winston BIIx 7/8, the sage 7136 IIIe and the T&T 1307.

For the guy that asked the original question about 7/8 weight rods for scandi, my experience with the sinking scandi lines was not good. I let them go in favor of the above system for fishing west coast native steelhead in the above rivers mentioned.

To each his own of course!

DH
Old 10-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Hooked4life

DH

There's so much in your post to reply to that it's hard to know where to begin. Using three casts to toss a full sinker is totally unnecessary. I use just an Underhand cast (Single Spey) even with S3/4 lines on a little 7/8, applying a change of direction beyond 90 degrees at times. You need to get out with someone who knows how to lift and cast these things.

If you're worried about mending the line on landing, next time use a full sinker with a coloured belly section that you can see.

Managing a full sinker on the swing does not rely on mending, rather it's a matter of rod position and line tension. If you're relying solely on mending for line management, you really need to get out with someone who knows how to fish these things.

With a full sinker, it's possible to get to fish in tough water that a sinktip system has no hope of reaching, plus it's capable of very slow presentations. Being able to fish both line types instead of just one, adds to your capabilities.
Pro Staff Airflo, Simms, The Canadian Tube Fly Company

ww.hooked4life.ca
(add a "w" to make the link work)
Old 10-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Mount Shasta Paranormal

Thanks for the tips!
Old 10-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Scandit sublima virtus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastern spey View Post
I second Voodoo's recommendation-Meiser's "hybrid" rods rocks with a scandi head. I have the 13' 7/9 with a improved AFS line. Easiest casting set up I have ever fished with.

-Zack
me three-
I have a Meiser Hybrid 13' 5/6/7, ooh hoo does it like short heads!
I also have a Deer Creek 7/8, the MKS taper is really powerful, but relaxing too...a different world from those scary fast Skandi rods, and a lot easier to keep your timing lasered while casting through a long day.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:59 AM

Cortland Endurance Spey

For money ~$200 and travelling I like my Cortland Endurance Spey 12'6'' 8wt 5pc. It shoots 11.3m 34g (37' 525gr) Vision Ace head easily to 80'. No complaints of components, cork or finish. I have taped the joints as I read someone had trouble with loosening and so far no damage on lacquer. The blank is green but it reflects like waves. The tube is triangle with "pockets".

Somewhat difficult with longer lines but my skill is not too good. There is not much information in the i-net but some others have also found them a bit too fast for traditional Spey casts. There are 13' 9wt and 12' 6wt models too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: