SA Sharkskin Flyline report - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Tackle
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2007, 12:47 PM

SA Sharkskin Flyline report

Anyone here test cast this line yet? I test casted it on a 5wt, and then immediately bought the WF6 for my Sage 6110-4 XP. It shoots farther, casts smoother, and seems to require less effort to cast the same distance. Other than sounding like wearing a pair of corduroy jeans when the line zings through the guides and the high cost, it's definitely nice. I fished it in Michigan over Thanksgiving for stream trout and it performed pretty well (I think an indicator taper might be better for this rod though for indicator fishing), but I want to use it for other purposes as well. I'll give it a shot for steelhead in Michigan this X-mas and maybe Pennsylvania in the spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2007, 12:56 PM

I purchased a Sharkskin WF4F for my 490-4XP, it is excellent. Weighted nymphs, emergers and weighted streamers (small) were all cast very comfortably. The noise goes away after using the line for a short time, either I did not pay attention or the wet line is less noisy compared with the dry lawn at the fly shop.

If the life factor is correct compared to other premium lines, the $99 retail price is a bargain.

Regards,
FK
Old 12-04-2007, 01:02 PM

I am kind hesitating on this cause I worry about picking up dirt and other crud off the water. Since it not really smooth line and does it clean well and are you able to get all dirt off easily?
Old 12-05-2007, 01:19 PM

With the new coating technology the line does not attract dirt like the earlier fly lines. It floats very nicely and picks up from the water very smoothly, an improvement over existing high end lines.

After 2 or 3 uses, I wash the line in warm water / Ivory liquid and wet cloth, rinse in cold water and dry. This will eliminate the gunk that eventually accumulates on any line.

I also wipe down the rod blank with a silicone cloth, found in any gun dept. and used for wiping down firearms. This helps casting with a slick line and smooth rod blank.

Regards,
FK

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: