Classic Spey Sized Reels - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Tackle
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2006, 09:10 PM
Recently Spey'd

Classic Spey Sized Reels

I was wondering if anybody had experiences with classic style reels in spey sizes...4 - 4 1/4" diameters.
Reels I'm interested in are Godfreys, Kineyas, Saraciones, Bogdans and to a lesser extent Peerless etc. Basically S handle reels.
I was wondering about fit & finish, value. Real world fishing situations in the fall/winter attached to a spey rod fighting Salmon/Steelhead.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Rookiespey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2006, 03:09 AM

pfluger medalist baby, all the click pawl sound you'll ever need and they come recommended by trey combs!!! Although I've heard good things about kineyas, starving college students can barely affor to eat, let alone buy boutique reels.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainforestspey
pfluger medalist baby ....
Exactly. Used these for years; only had one 'fail' on me over 30-40'ish years. And I was hauling on King Salmon ... the 1595 .... perhaps a tad "under kill" for the size of the fish involved. Only one they built that was a complete 'dud' was the 'Supreme' line; calling them 'that' is an oxymoron.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:39 PM

Classic S handled reels

Having used Vom Hofe, Zwarg and Walker (the Walker was a loner belonging to a trusting friend) classics I would say that these reels - along with the Hardy Perfect as a normal style reel, are as good as it gets. The only modern reels of this type which I have used - and still use almost to the exclusion of others - are Wurm reels, which are a total knock-off of the Bogdans. The quality of these is variable in the bigger sizes, though the materials used are if anything higher than those of the Bogdan. I also have some Knock-offs made for me in the UK which are excellent. Another which I have is a Guideline "Alta" - again a Bogdan copy but although the workmanship is good, the anodising is too thin and the frame seems a little softer tahn the others.

Back to the real classics - IF you can find a nice 4/0 Vom Hofe or Zwarg or Walker ( it will cost a lot!!) then buy it...there are no nicer reels to use.
Good luck,
Tweedside
Old 01-05-2007, 06:59 PM
Recently Spey'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedside
Another which I have is a Guideline "Alta" - again a Bogdan copy but although the workmanship is good, the anodising is too thin and the frame seems a little softer tahn the others.

Back to the real classics - IF you can find a nice 4/0 Vom Hofe or Zwarg or Walker ( it will cost a lot!!) then buy it...there are no nicer reels to use.
Good luck,
Tweedside

Tweedside.
The Guideline Alta had caught my attention in the past. Are they still available & if so, how much would I be looking at spending? How would I go about ordering one?
Thanks for any info.

Rookiespey
Old 01-05-2007, 07:15 PM

If you are interested in Bogdan, call Steve Bogdan . I have ordered the 300 reel around Christmas 2005 and received it in May 2006.
It was a gift for good friend of mine. Great collectible, great quality but not necessarily very practical reels.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Recently Spey'd

Hi Sazan.
In what way is the reel not very practical?
Is it not durable enough to fish?
I have Loops & they look classic but just aren't the same. I have a Saracione that I fish the most of my Spey reels but it matches only shorter rods & i am looking for something larger.

Rookiespey

Last edited by Rookiespey; 02-24-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:38 PM

It's not a "S" handle but how about a Hardy Mark IV Salmon Bougle? It's definitely a classic reel that's 4" incher. Sweet sounding drag too. Also, it's cheaper than Peerless, Bogden, VomHoff, etc. Unfortunately it's out of production but you can still find new ones with a little effort and luck.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Recently Spey'd

Great reel but no more Hardys for this fisherman.
Based on principle more than anything else. Long story I don't want to get into.
If I wasn't going to lose so much money on my Cascapedia 4/0...that would be on it's way out the door too.

Rookiespey
Old 01-05-2007, 08:08 PM

Gotcha...don't ask, don't tell Check out the reels by Maurice Noel in Quebec. Also, the Megoff Classic 10/12 AR. This is an aluminum Megoff reel designed to be a speyreel in anti-reverse. It has the classic S-handle design that has rim control. It has two grips, both of which are impregnated wood. 4.3"x1.5" and 11oz. It has a mid-arbor design and would hold a WF12F and 300yds of 30#, but more importantly should hold a 9/10/11 Windcutter and 150+yds of 30#. This is a anti-reverse speyreel which you don't see everyday and probably isn't easy to find but you might be able to.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Recently Spey'd

Great info Steve.
Are the Maurice Noel reels available either used or new. Or are they difficult to come by?

Rookiespey
Old 01-05-2007, 08:36 PM

Guideline Alta

Hi Rookie
The Alta was a limited edition reel, though not numbered as such. I bought mine from a dealer in Germany. I spoke with Guideline and there are o more of them. I have seen one or two on Ebay over the past two or three years.

If you ever buy a Hardy reel make absolutely sure that it is an old one...preferably an old Perfect. I know others who have had problems with modern Hardy reels - and the same goes for (some) rods. Lines are nice though.
Tweedside
Old 01-05-2007, 08:42 PM

Maurice Noels reels are definitely not cheap. Always remember, "Nothing good lasts forever and nothing lasts forever if it's any good." So, they are probably not easy to find. Try just-reels.com for new and used reels. If you just want a functional, durable, heay duty, not gonna fall apart spey reel check out the Abel X-Stream spey reels. It's not a very pretty looking reel and didn't sell well so Abel is discontinuing them in 2007 so they are limited too BUT you can probably still get one at Abel's web site for about $300 or Buffalo Outfitters cattaraugusflyshop.com may have them but not at the closeout prices of course. Good luck

Last edited by sinktip; 01-07-2007 at 10:46 AM. Reason: removal of non-sponsor URL per site guidelines
Old 01-06-2007, 12:48 AM

Talking Bummer Steve.

(No) Thanks for reminding me of the 'just reels' web site. I'd "forgotten" just how much money you could spend on one of those things!

Wowza!
Old 01-06-2007, 09:38 AM

Rookiespey

Bogdan reels requires minor maintenance, which includes lining and cleaning. My friend who got it from me as a gift is very careful with his reel. Not because of its value.... He also owns and use Bogdan 200 since 2001.
You rather should avoid dunking the reel in murky water and specially salty water!
Beyond that performance is superb.

Martin

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: