Spey Pages banner

New DVD: "Spey to Z"

17K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  spey_bubba 
#1 ·
Topher Browne, Greg Pearson, and I are pleased to introduce a new instructional casting DVD: “Spey to Z: Understanding Traditional, Scandinavian & Skagit Style Spey Casting with a Single and Double-Handed Rod.”

Topher conceived and organized the project nearly two years ago as a unified presentation of all the major Spey casting styles. The DVD itself has been in the works for more than 18 months, and we spent nearly a year working out the script and teaching points in order to take maximum advantage of the unique capabilities of the DVD format.

From a teaching standpoint we wanted to convey that all fly casting, including Spey casting, is governed by the same fundamental principles. Differences between the three primary styles of Spey casting (Traditional, Scandinavian, and Skagit) simply reflect the adaptation of mechanics to suit specific equipment, which, in turn, reflect specific fishing applications. Because Topher, Greg, and I really enjoy fishing with single-handed rods, we placed single-handed Spey casting up front and center; our goal is to make the transition from a single-handed rod to a double-handed rod as easy as possible.

“Spey to Z” combines much of what we have learned over the years casting, fishing, teaching and demonstrating. We put our own individual spin on what we have learned from all the folks in the U.S. and from abroad that have taught us and inspired us. We hope that an understanding of these principles and how they relate to all fly casts can help anyone improve their casting by recognizing faults and implementing cures based on a solid grounding in fundamental mechanics.

The DVD was entirely filmed on the Deschutes River in November of 2005, and is sponsored by 3M/Scientific Anglers, Scott Fly Rods, Simms Fishing Products, Maui Jim, and Filson. Jeff Pill (the Art of Spey Casting, Joan Wulff’s Dynamics of Fly Casting) directed the DVD, and Dave Drum was the Director of Photography. Sean Glenn (History Channel, Discovery Channel) and Eddie Howells provided additional camera work. Tom Eichler (History Channel, Discovery Channel) provided the sound, and Steve Lovejoy (Art of Spey Casting, numerous TV shows) edited the DVD. Richard Allen from Track Design provided the DVD authoring.

Proceeds from the sale of the DVD will be donated to various charitable and conservation groups, including the BC Steelhead Society, the Atlantic Salmon Federation, Trout Unlimited, the Native Fish Society, and FFF Youth Casting Programs.

The project will officially “debut” at the Fly Tackle Retailer show in Denver later this month, but is available at $39.95 per copy via the internet at www.thebookmailer.com.

We hope you enjoy the DVD as much as we enjoyed making it!

Sincerely,

Topher Browne
Greg Pearson
and

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks Bruce and Bob: We'd be really interested in what you think. We've got over 200 in the UK, and Knut and Trond want somewhere between 3-400 of the things, and Masa is making noises about Japan. Scott and 3M/SA will have them in their catalogues. Just had a great chat with the folks at the Native Fish Society. Things are looking good for everyone (including the fish!).

#8 ·
Hello Way.
I did get an order in at the Bookmailer.
I received a very nice e-mail back from them explaining they didnt have it at the time of ordering but would have it the next day and include it in my oder.Great service.
Looking forward to seeing your DVD.
Cheers mate.
Speyladdie:smokin:

#15 ·
Hi Greg
Things were a little slow . . . I think I only landed 4 or 5 fish this year, but I saw all the takes. I had 3 other fish slash at dries without being hooked. The only one on a wet fly was to a plastic tube sunray that was only an inch below the surface. I saw the whole rise. All the rest were on dries . . . and although "you can't take fish on the Bonnie with a skated fly", I took an 18 lb hen on a size 10 tube skated (hitched via hole under the tube).
BTW, I like the beer truck analogy. I head to NB in about 2 weeks . . . there's one stretch of water where it might come in handy.
Best,
Bill

#16 ·
excellant explanations

Just got to watch this great DVD over the weekend while it was raining. I really liked the fact that the purpose of the some of the different casts was discussed. I now see a reason to learn the Perry Poke to help get my heavy saltwater flies up and out. Excellant job.
Joe

#20 ·
Hi Max,

"Spey to Z" is a 'region-free' DVD, and should work in any modern DVD player. If you have purchased DVDs from either North America or Europe (and they play Down Under), our DVD should work for you, too.

I don't think we've got any distribution in Oz yet. Fly shops may order the DVD at wholesale from Angler's Book Supply here in the States. Individual copies may be ordered through www.thebookmailer.com; their service is superb.

I was sorry to hear about Steve Irwin. I really liked that guy, and he was very popular here in the States. Good on ya' Croc Hunter.

Cheers, tb

G
#21 ·
Yeah, OK on the DVD. On Steve Irwin, he was certainly well liked internationally. He had a lot of wildlife taped but you stretch your rubber band long enough it breaks.He certainly stretched his rubber band on everything. I thought some of the things he did were bloody ridiculous, too risky.
But we have one to go, so far Steve then Peter Brock, our most revered car racer, who also stretched the band in a Rally. There are usually 3 in a row, dunno who the next one will be, but it will be someone up on top of the hill.
Maybe in a week or two, in the Bathurst 1000 motor race. They stretch the band in that too.
I'm staying inside, out of harms way. BIG GRIN. MaxG

#22 ·
The DVD is fantastic from a new spey casters prospective. It really helps me re-find my stroke when things break down. After taking a clinic from Simone, Greg, and Juro in spring of '05, it is the perfect refresher course! Spey casting isn't as popular out east to have a lot of mentors around. Thanks...Jeff

#24 ·
spey_bubba said:
Thanks Bruce and Bob: We'd be really interested in what you think. We've got over 200 in the UK, and Knut and Trond want somewhere between 3-400 of the things, and Masa is making noises about Japan. Scott and 3M/SA will have them in their catalogues. Just had a great chat with the folks at the Native Fish Society. Things are looking good for everyone (including the fish!).

Is NFS going to be selling this direct from their website? Just curious, as they're at the head of the line for getting my dough

#26 ·
Hello Steve:

An update on our international distribution - Wellard and Scott are our UK distributors, Maverick Fly Fishing will be our Japanese distributors, Tundra Oudoors will be our Norwegian distributors, and in BC, Redl Sports.

Been in intermittent contact with Tom Derry from NFS - we're still trying to hook up in Maupin this fall. Tom has expressed interest in selling the DVD through their site.

Thanks fellas for the kind remarks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.