Spey Pages banner

New TFO DC 13' 6/7 & Pandion 12'9" 6wt

8K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  FKrow 
#1 ·
New TFO DC 13' 6/7 -- grain window 425-700gr - on rod blank.

New TFO Pandion 12'9" 6wt -- grain window 400-500gr - on rod blank.

I rec'd these new rods today and did a quick test cast/comparison.

Both are outstanding rods, tried Scandi 360gr and 390gr. The rods both liked the 390gr line.

The DC is slightly stiffer and heavier in swing weight.

The Pandion is softer and constructed with TFO Axiom lay up technology (Kevlar material in the graphite blank).

This Sat and Sun we will cast with Rio and Airflo Scandi and Skagit lines along with new Airflo Rage and possibly other lines.

I also rec'd the Pandion in 13'3" 8wt and will compare it with the TFO DC 13'6" 8/9.

Regards,
FK

See less See more
#4 ·
are you casting these rods with spey tech? or overhead?

i messed with a demo at the IFTD show with a Scandi head in a casting pool
thought it was nice

but from what i understand, these are geared more towards the surf overhead crowd... so i wonder how that action will translate into sustained anchor skagit casts...

#5 ·
are you casting these rods with spey tech? or overhead?

but from what i understand, these are geared more towards the surf overhead crowd... so i wonder how that action will translate into sustained anchor skagit casts...
All of my casting is spey technique.

That was my initial impression, and it was reinforced by the TFO 2012 catalog illlustrating Nick C. overhead surf casting in SF Bay. Then I learned he has devoted considerable time with the Golden Gate Casting Club members,,,,,,the Pandion is indeed a sweet rod for spey casting. It has a traditional strong tip with initial flex into the middle of the blank.

I will test cast some Skagit lines this weekend.

Most of the dedicated TH overhead rods I have owned,,,,Loomis 11'3" Cross Current, TFO 12x12, CND 11'1" Oceana,,,, (T&T 12x12 cast only) have more flexible tips and strong progressive flex similar to the single hand salt water rods.

Regards,
FK

#7 ·
Two days of casting the new rods: We had a total of 6 people test cast the rods.

My initial impression was not correct. Side by side comparison of flex shows very clearly the DC is much softer than the Pandion. The flex curve of the Pandion gives the impression it loads deeper but the rod does take more grain weight to cast smoothly than the DC. The DC has a slightly stiffer tip.
The Pandion has a swing weight feel that is lighter than the DC.

Scandi Lines
TFO DC 360gr-390gr, ( AFS 350gr was excellent)
Pandion 420gr

Rage lines (with 60gr Versi Leader floating)
TFO DC 390gr
Pandion 420gr

The TFO DC has a much wider window of line weights for efficient casting.
The Pandion is rather narrow in acceptable lines however, it is very smooth casting when the caster's preference is determined.

I do not have a favorite,,,,,, both rods are very nice casting. It all depends upon your individual style.
The fast agressive casters liked the DC and the slower finess casters liked the Pandion.

We did not have time to test cast any Skagit lines with tips.

Regards,
FK

#8 ·
thrilled to hear it is a light 6/7

going to order one today

I really like the sub 400grains lines, they feel more intuitive and easy to manage

#11 ·
My wife picked up the DC 6/7 spey today

I should get on the water tomorrow or the next day with it. Very excited!! I will report back. The weather has been spectacular here so I might even get a nibble or two :)

#12 ·
FKrow & J. James -

Thank you for the rod review. I've been very curious as to the differences between the two rods. J. James - I look forward to your feedback; hope you made it out on the water.

I have the DC 5/6, which I really like as a summer rod. After the first of the year, I was going to get the 6/7 or the 7/8 DC. According to the line specs for the two rods, they seem to be about the same, which means there is a considerable difference between the 5/6 and the 6/7 or 7/8. If you had to pick a winter rod, would you pick the 6/7 or 7/8? I am looking to throw a 500-510 skagit with a sink tip between 150 and 190 grains. It seems like either the 6/7 or 7/8 would do this well with the 6/7 being lighter in the hand. Your feedback is much appreciated.

#13 ·
My FF partner and I have both the 7130 DC and 6130 DC,, for the Skagit head and tips you list,,, I would choose the 7130 DC rod.
With that rod, we fish the Rio Skagit Flight 525gr and any tip you wish to cast.

I believe the line specs in TFO catalog are in error or a typo on the 6130 DC.

Regards,
FK

#15 ·
Thanks for the reply, 1 More Cast.

Your set-up sounds like just what I'm looking for. I look forward to getting clarification on the line specs. for the new 6/7 DC and the 7/8 DC. According to all the specs. that I've seen, the grain window for both rods is exactly the same; it even looks like the 7/8 DC is a bit lighter in weight - just by a hair. There is a local TFO rep. in the area, but I would much rather get feedback from guys on this board that are actually "testing" the rods.
Thanks again.

#22 ·
Mark,

Let me know when you want to head back to the Pemi

A few gents went up there the week prior to last and caught some real nice rainbows on a smaller river close to where you went last time

#23 ·
I stumbled upon the opportunity to give a brief test cast to the 8wt Pandion and I was duly impressed. It was smooth but super powerful and would make a great big river winter type rod or a big King Salmon rod.

The one thing that needs to be taken in to account is that the grain weights listed for the Pandion series is for overhead casting so they do not apply to spey casting. The setup I cast was a 660 compact skagit with a 5' cheater and 5' of T-14, one would assume that this is too heavy for an 8wt but once the butt of the rod kicked in the rig went out butter smooth and was a joy to cast.

Thank,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.