Spey Pages banner

Hungry for Umba Whoppers? New Movie!

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Smolt 
#1 ·
Yet another short movie from Salmon Junkies which we hope you will enjoy! This is actually part 2 of Umba Summer Karma, the first summer movie we shot in May/June in Umba. This “movie” was shot while preparing for the 2011 season in Krivetz in between cleaning the tracks and just before the first guest arrived, lots of sweat and lots of fish.

Our first two weeks in June 2011 produced a real good number of fish and a very high number of Umba Whoppers (large fish) so we are very excited about this coming season and for all of you going, you will have a blast!

Watch here:

Hope you enjoy:)

All the best

Kåre

#3 ·
Hey Retriver - The fishing starts in late may when the usual spring flood is running of and the white polar nights normally create a euphoric and exhausting fishing trance among our guests. As may moves into June we see a period that must be considered prime time. If wind and weather also plays along these are weeks where the salmon-ceiling is popped of like corks from our Russian champagne.
Most fishing today is carried out with modern double hand rods between 12 ½ and 14 feet for line 8 -10 – Regarding reel. Please remember to bring some reliable reels that won’t let you down when your + 30lbs salmon take off. Reel for double handled rod should contain minimum 200 meters backing – Single handed reel minimum 150 meters backing. (Buy the best available gear to avoid any failure – Cheap gear will always let you down) Lines: Early season sinking line Floating – Intermediate and sink tips. Important: Bring some fast sinking lines if you are fishing May / June – Leaders: 20 – 24 – 30 lbs braking strength.
As June moves into July the summer will manifest itself with high-pressure weather and sunshine sometimes 24 hours pr. Day. Needles to say that these conditions will can affect the fishing, but you may be astonished to hear that it sometimes can improve catches. Dry fly tactics is very worthwhile and it can be absolutely essential in July. Here we recommend singled handled rods 8 – 9 ½ feet for line 7 – 9. By middle of August we are back again into the more rock-solid Spey rods.:smokin:

#4 ·
Steffen,
Many thanks for the answer and the time it took to do it.
I am in Eastern Europe almost every year for business or personal matters. I am not sure that I will have much time this July but you never know.
Would I look strange on that river with Guideline LeCie 14'8" in 10 wt, Intermediate belly (head) and set of tips, leaders for reasonable coverage.
You can send me private message so we do not inconvenience other readers with our private chat.
Thank you again.

#8 ·
Hi Steffen,
Ok, let's be a bit more specific about the season beeing a "Short spey cast" away...from today it's ...45 days until my take off to Varzuga ;-))
Next weekend I will start a big tying session!
Cheers
David
PS: It will be legen.........dary!
PPS: On the other hand it's 142 days until take off to Umba:-((

#9 ·
Hey David
You have a great season in front of you – Look forward to fish and film with you in Grand Varzuga in June and of course in Umba in September – We will have a blast out there :smokin::smokin: See you next week here in Denmark. Lot of very big salmon in the rivers this season :Eyecrazy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.