Spey Pages banner

TFO Deer Creek 13' 6/7 line recomendations...

8K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  J.James 
#1 · (Edited)
This is partly a question for my own benefit, as I own this rod and am curious what others are using. But I've also noticed that, unless I'm missing it, there isn't that much info out there on it and thought a thread might be a good reference for someone in the future. Even TFO's own Deer Creek line recommendation page skips the 6/7 for some strange reason.

There is a thread from last year where the general scandi suggestion is in the 330-360 range with comments that you could pretty easily expand that to 300-390 if you wanted to.

Extrapolating from between the 5/6 and 7/8 recommendations on the TFO page would give you 450-500 skagit and ~400 scandi. But that's just guesswork.

I myself am using a 480 compact skagit on my DC 6/7 and like it fine (though my casting skills are pretty limited compared to most here). I think a 450 would have worked just fine as well. I've got a 370 versitip scandi coming for a different rod and am curious about using it on the DC 6/7 as well. I would have thought that the 425 might have been a better choice, but the videos and posts on the thread I linked to above would indicate that there is a pretty wide range for scandi lines on this rod. I'm very limited in my knowledge about scandi setups, so I can't add much to that discussion.

I am interested in hearing what others with this rod are using for their line setup.

EDIT: 2015 update, just noticed that TFO's page does now list recommendations for the 13' 6/7 - 425-480 skagit and 420-440 scandi.

http://www.tforods.com/support-and-resources/resources/deer-creek-line-recs.html

See less See more
#8 ·
Have you thought about purchasing one of Steve Godshall's lines? I would highly recommend doing so for this rod. He can build you a "scandit" line, specific to this rod, that would give you year-round fishing capabilities.

I have the 5/6 DC and used to fish the 420gr airflo skagit before switching over to Steve's custom lines. The rod threw the 420gr. well, but there's no comparison to his custom scandit line - sweeeeeeet.

You're right about the lack of information on the 6/7 DC. I contacted the TFO rep. in the NW, prior to the end of the year, and feedback from casters was very limited. It's hard to get specific information on the rod with so little info. Nice to see some info. starting to trickle in.

Did you know that it actually weighs more than the 7/8 according to the specs? Here in the PNW, for my rivers, the 5/6 DC is a great summer rod (i use it year-round actually) and the 7/8 is a great winter stick. The 6/7 might be an ideal all-arounder, but it's hard to identify the differences between the 6/7 and 7/8.

#9 ·
Did you know that it actually weighs more than the 7/8 according to the specs? Here in the PNW, for my rivers, the 5/6 DC is a great summer rod (i use it year-round actually) and the 7/8 is a great winter stick. The 6/7 might be an ideal all-arounder, but it's hard to identify the differences between the 6/7 and 7/8.
I was aiming for an "all arounder" when I bought it. But I agree, the specs are a little odd and the lack of info a bit frustrating. Particularly on the 6/7 and 7/8 comparisons.

#10 ·
the specs are a little odd and the lack of info a bit frustrating
I'm curious as to what kind of info you're searching for? In post #7 you listed the line recs for that rod from Kiene's shop. In reading that info it would seem there is plenty of info there to get one in to a good line match up. Am I missing something here?

#11 ·
I was referring both the the general lack of chatter about the rod and what lines people are using, and the fact that the TFO line page ignores the 6/7 completely and nobody seems to have any info on why the 6/7 weighs more than the 7/8 according to the specs. I guess the weight thing isnt that important, I just find it odd.

Now of course there isn't going to be chatter about every rod on earth. But the DCs are a pretty popular rod series, so I find it surprising. And yes, the Kiene's listing seems to be a fine place to start (and one that I hadn't seen when I started the thread). But there also isn't any replacement for actual user feedback in my book.

#12 ·
IMHO do not rely completely on users recommendations, including my own.

It all depends upon you individual casting stye, the line weights discussed are a guide to get started. My group of casters likes lighter weight lines in general, we use an agressive lower hand pull at the very end of the casting stroke. This gives nice line speeds and tight loops. Your style may differ and a heavier line would be more suitable.

The TFO catalog and web site have some typo errors on line weight recommendations, check out the rod blank and it is different.
My personal casting experience also differs from the TFO labels.

Regards,
FK

#13 ·
Yes, of course. I suppose I could have been more clear.

User opinions and manufacturers recommendations and shop suggestions and even "impartial" magazine reviews are all both useful and useless in looking for advice on most anything, from cameras to cars to spey lines. I think very few of us put 100% faith in any one random source of information.

#14 ·
The Deer Creek 6/7 wasn't one of the original line up which is why there is no info on the TFO website. I'm not sure why TFO hasn't bothered to upgrade their website.

I found some good info with a quick Spey Pages search. You have already seen it, but maybe not.

Here's an opinion on lines for this rod you may not have seen. http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=57775&highlight=Deer+Creek+13'-6/7

Here's some info on this rod right from the man himself, Mr. Meiser, one of the Deer Creek series designers.

The grain window for the Deer Creek 13'0" 6/7 is 400 to 600+ grains.

Skagit shooting heads: 450-500 grains <> Tips to 150 +-

Scandi shooting heads: 400-450 grains

Classic Speys to 550 +- grains

Speed of recovery: Fast/Medium fast

Flex: Uniform progressive

Suitable for all game fish from 5 to 15 pounds+

She is very similar in flex and speed of recovery to the Deer Creek 13'0" 7/8 but down grained by net 100.

The rod is a delight to cast <> A hard working, caster friendly, durable mid power rod.

#18 ·
There isn't a bad rod in the Deer Creek series

The 4/5 is a dream
The 5/6 is a true 5w and a pleasure.
The 6/7 shoot line effortlessly

I've owned them all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.