Spey Pages banner

What do you do for a living?

42K views 293 replies 240 participants last post by  Oregon-Jet 
#1 ·
Thought this might be an interesting thread
As i have just finished school, careers are on my mind ha

so....i was curious as to what do all you spey junkies do for a living?
or if your in school then what are you studying?

#166 ·
Supply chain and sourcing analyst for 15 years, but got bored and now I teach numeracy and literacy skills to at-risk kids in a public high school. Also work part time in a grocery store and as a private tutor. Not bored anymore :hihi:.

#167 ·
Interesting Thread

This post really has shown quite the cross section of the Spey Pages membership. The membership certainly shows that we have many different jobs, trades and professions. A 167 posts and still growing. Well done Chris spey for the great idea for this post.

Tight Lines.

#172 · (Edited)
Career

Have been in sales most of my working life. Spent a few years as a skydiving jumpmaster / videographer / rigger / pilot...incredibly fun few years...and currently cover MT, WY & the Dakotas as a DSM / Manufacture's Rep. All of my free time is spent with my family and doing my best to plant the outdoor bug in my twin 12 year old sons and 10 year old daughter.

#176 ·
As a young boy I wanted to become a sailor, to experience faraway places and cultures. But when young boy’s dreams meet reality in the form of family traditions and the will of grownups, young boy’s dreams don’t amount to much. Spend 5 years on a master degree in physics before I decided to become a MD. I ended up as a Pediatrician specializing in pediatric intensive care, love it and every day for 20 years I’ve been happy with my choice, and whenever I get onboard my old sailboat, my childhood dream springs to mind and I get a tinkling sensation in my stomach and can’t help thinking, what if ? But hey that’s life . . . you live it in a forward way and understand it looking back.

Johncke ;)

#178 ·
Family Doc

I was a science jock in high school ... came from a family of Construction Engineers. My best friend wanted to be a physician and he and I went to register for college. Boeing was laying off engineers at the time ("will the last person to leave Seattle please turn out the lights?") and so when he registered for pre-med ... I asked what the difference was between that and engineering in the first two years ... "biology" was the answer. Having never taken biology I signed up for pre-med and never looked back ... Loved it. As a Family physician it has been a privilege to be part of people’s lives in a unique way. Fortunately, I work with great folks.. 2 of whom are also avid steelheaders with spey rods. (makes it tough for all three of us to take off and fish together though).

#179 ·
Fascinating thread.

When deciding on career I was torn between something to do with the environment or business. I ended up studying both but by circumstance ended up down the latter path.

I've worked in the wireless telecommunications industry for the past 10 years in the product development area for a wireless operator.

It's a fast paced industry at the leading edge of technology. I see the latest gadgets a year before they're released to the public.

...still I'd rather be spey fishing full time if I had the choice....

#188 ·
I've been a winemaker for 30+ years. I'm gainfully employed by a larger winery in California's Central Coast. Most of the wine I make goes into Mark West pinot noir. I also have my own micro-boutique label; La Filice Winery(FB), and craft Rhone-style wines. I'm a reformed powder-hound that got hit hard by the "swinging for steelhead, and 2-hand rod" bug several years ago. Damn near all I think about. Oh yeah, I tie as well; Dragginflys.com. Beyond help, I'm afraid.:smokin:
Best.
Ed Filice
Templeton,CA

#190 ·
Work

I'm a newb here on the Spey Clave and also a newb with a spey rod. I work for the State of AK division of Agriculture. My job is promoting/developing small scale farms in rural Alaska. I get to travel in bush planes all over the state to remote communities and help them grow stuff. While in the bush I always find somewhere to fish, and often they are pristine fisheries.

#192 ·
Lawyer. Sole practitioner for over 20 years, doing criminal and family litigation. Nothing sweeter than finishing court in Terrace at noon and sliding out to the local rivers to spey fish for a few hours. I try to plan my court appearances around when the steelhead are in the rivers I want to fish, so I'm in Terrace a lot in the fall. I'm pretty damn lucky.

Tight lines, my friends.

#195 ·
Went off to college in 1967 to become an architect. Discovered the Age of Aquarius and sex, drugs, and rock & roll. When the haze finally cleared in the mid-70s I discovered I had learned to fly cast and was a fisheries biologist instead. Shaved, got a haircut and have been a semi-respectable member of society ever since.

#196 ·
Reading all the great responses, I feel like fessing up a little more history than "retired museum director." Started Automotive Technology college curriculum in 1968. 1969 I switched schools and into Liberal Arts English. Hair starting to grow.

1971, dropped out, hooked up with a Trans-Am racing team and opened my own restoration shop, doing mostly Ferraris and Rolls. Fast forward, 1977, I'm fishing more than working...decide to go back to school. Get AAS, BS and Grad Degrees in Wildlife Ecology.

Never used any of the degrees. Hooked right up as regional director for National Wild Turkey Federation. Stayed about 10 years, ending up as national director of development.

Resigned to become exec. director of American Museum of Fly Fishing. Lasted almost 7 years, longest serving e.d. they've had. Resigned to become a cabinetmaker/carpenter. Much more satisfying than dealing with rich white men all day.

That's about it.
Gary

Oh, I got my first social security check last week.

#198 ·
Found this thread very interesting. I may have had the greatest number of jobs. Graduated from Colorado A&M (Colorado State University) with a degree in Poultry Husbandry (Avian Science). Was a chain-man on a survey crew for the Santa FE RR waiting to be drafted. Classified 4F. Bought into a livestock auction, realized it would not support two families. Joined my family's auto body repair business as a painter. Moved to animal products sales with Eli Lilly. Moved to corporate as Personnel Representative and Sales Trainer. Became Sales Manager for a regional feed manufacture. Purchased a bicycle shop. Became manager of training and development for national food distribution corp. Joined Saab Automobiles USA as trainer. Spent last 17 years before retirement as a contract trainer in the retail auto industry. Been retired since 1998. Life is good.

Rich

#199 ·
Started owned and operated a fly shop/guide service/travel business. Sold it to a sort of large corporation that wanted it way more than I did while in my 40's and retired other than a little guiding for long time clients and friends. Basically I have been traveling and fishing for the last 14 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.