Spey Pages banner

cheap spey rods

23K views 37 replies 28 participants last post by  NS Carl 
#1 ·
can I properly learn to cast different spey techniques using cheap spey rods ?

#5 ·
cheap, and affordable are very different things. I would say there are an abunanace of good rods priced under $350 on the market. ECHO, TFO, Reddington all come to mind. you absolutely can learn to spey cast with these rods and frankly I doubt most spey casters could tell teh difference between a top of the line rod and a more affordable rod in a blind test

#7 ·
Many of the lower priced rods are actually easier to learn with as they are a bit less critical of timing errors due to slightly slower recovery rates. It's a bit like driving, a Nascar racer will outperform a family saloon every time, but which would be easier to learn to drive with?
Anyway a lot of the cheaper rods are previously expensive older models 're-badged' with less expensive components & a lower price, these are usually well proven, thoroughly tested & will do the job reliably whereas the latest cutting edge very expensive technology can be a bit unreliable - anyone remember the breakage rate with the Hardy Angle Mk 1 rods when they first came out? - the price at the time was breath taking, luckily they replaced the ones that blew up but there were a lot of upset anglers, a case of rushing the product to market too quickly. This won't be a problem if you pick a lower cost model that's been around for 5 or 6 years & is known to be reliable.

Regards, Tyke.

#10 ·
Boy Oh Boy, did that bring back a memory.

... these are usually well proven, thoroughly tested & will do the job reliably whereas the latest cutting edge very expensive technology can be a bit unreliable - anyone remember the breakage rate with the Hardy Angle Mk 1 rods when they first came out? - the price at the time was breath taking, luckily they replaced the ones that blew up but there were a lot of upset anglers, a case of rushing the product to market too quickly.

Regards, Tyke.
All too well Tyke, all too well. One of their 'entry points' was a early Sandy River Spey Clave. This was back when a Meiz/Anderson/Sage/et al rod would have cost $400-$500 max .... the Hardy Mk 1? TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!!:eek:

I choked when I saw the price tag hanging off one of the guides. I can't say for sure, but I think it was Steve Choate who blew the rod apart down at the river. Gather it sounded like a rifle shot going off when it popped into extra bits.

fae

#8 ·
If you really want to save some money, build it yourself. You can put together a Batson Forecast based rod for less than $140 for the entire kit. They come in 5/6, 7/8, 8/10. Their switch rod offering (Rainshadow line) can be had for slightly less. Check out the online auction site. Make a simple jig out of scrap wood and 4 or 5 hours later you have a rod.

Quinn

#11 ·
The Angler's Roost rods are arguably the best rod out there under $100. No warranty and not the prettiest thing out there, but they DO cast quite well.

The TFO Deer Creek and Echo DH and TR rods are definately a step up, but you get a lifetime warranty and more asthetically pleasing end result. Great way to spend ~$300.

#12 ·
I was reading about the Echo Solo, does anyone know if going with that rod over the DH or the TR sacrifices significant quality? Not trying to be to cheap here, just need to work within a tight budget but at the same time don't want to get a product that I won't have a good time learning on or be happy with?

#24 ·
Solo

I have fished all three of those rods and own at least one of each and can say honestly that my favorite is the Solo. The differences in quality is marginal at best and prefer the moderate progressive action of the Solo the best. I also like the fact that there is no composite cork on the Solo vs the TR.

#13 ·
Originally posted by Fred:

''I choked when I saw the price tag hanging off one of the guides. I can't say for sure, but I think it was Steve Choate who blew the rod apart down at the river. Gather it sounded like a rifle shot going off when it popped into extra bits.''

I bet it did, I was fishing the Tweed in November & one of the other rods on the beat had a new 15 footer. Ok it was cold with big water so full sinkers & heavy[ish] brass tubes, but he broke it on the Tuesday [as you say it was like a .222 going off]; suitably pissed off he drove to Hardys factory in Alnwick [about an hour away] & it was replaced. Unfortunately we had a headwind on Thursday & he blew that one up as well [by this time I couldn't stop myself laughing out loud!]. He had a fine command of ''Anglo-Saxon English'' & let rip in fine style, but refused to waste fishing time swapping it then - he was saving that pleasure for the trip home, & dug out his old & indestructable Hardy 'delux' which had no problems dealing with whatever was hung off the end of it [but did weigh about twice as much].

I'm still grinning at the memories of his tantrum when No. 2 ''let go''....

Regards, Tyke.

#15 ·
redington cpx 12'9" 7 wt. a light 7 wt not too long not to short, i learned with a scandi line on this rod, throws skagit lines great too, still fish it a bunch with the scandi. great cheap fast action rod. still like it way better than z axis, helios or b2x and lots of other pricier rods. my opinion, stay away from switch rods at first.

#16 ·
Don't forget the Echo Solo @ $229.95. It also has a bag, tube, and no BS lifetime warranty.

12'6"-6/7
12'9"-7/8
13'0"-8/9

#17 ·
cheap rods

I am tired of listening to this debate over high end rods versus price point. My guess is that when you get to the high end price you are paying for USA made or just fancy trimmings. In the end the best casting rod is the rod that is built to do what you need it to when you need it. And before everyone starts defending their 1200 dollar rod the bottom line is people catch all kinds of fish on the 300 dollar rods so they work and there is no denying that one.

I want to put out a request to the top rod companies. Lets do a blank cast off. Build a rod from a couple categories, say light, medium and switch. For example each brand builds say a 13ft 7wt in black, black guides and a basic cork/reel seat. No branding at all. Mark them with a simple letter to keep track. Put them in the hands of a range of casters and have them pick their favorite. It would be awesome to see the results. I bet it would be a mix for sure.

#19 ·
i remember a mate talking up his new glx loomis (when they were brand new) and on its maiden voyage blew up in 3 spots on the 2nd cast, my heavier fenwick had been dropped on rocks by accident, bent out of shape on several occasions (when i was still a hack) and never once skipped a beat.

#21 ·
Iv'e had several Anglers Roost Enterprises 89$ spey rods and mid $ range Redingtons - Rainshadow switch along with several high end - Z Axis - T&T- and I have an Anderson Custom on order.

I enjoy them all and fish the 89$ and the $800 the same day for a change of pace- with satisfaction. I do love the high quality T&T for sure- But I am comforted by the fact that if money got super tight and I had to sell them off and just keep one cheapo rod- I could be very satisfied and cover my fishing needs. Although, a Rainshadow switch thrown in for good measure would help.:hihi:

#25 ·
BC Bound,

Get ahold of one of the Solo rods and give it a test drive. I think you will be pleased.

#27 ·
Rods "can" blow up but it's not something that happens often and it's not something I would loose any sleep over. In the big scheme of things it's a non issue.

#28 ·
If a rod blows up on you soon after purchase it's usually a blank defect (that's what I ran into, but it is a very rare thing). Poppy's right, today that rarely happens unless you put a gouge in your blank, then it was the user's fault (think hitting your rod with a lead-eyed fly).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.