Spey Pages banner

Best cheap spey destination in the east?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  QuebecSporting 
#1 ·
Where is some good spey water in the East of North america that is not a shoulder-to-shoulder Salmon River nightmare.

Canada is fine. The cheaper the better- I don't like guides and want to wade and perhaps float me yak. If you know of a REASONABLE all-inclusive or something like that, cool too.

Thoughts? Hopefully this can help others too...

Thanks in advance-

Joe west

#2 ·
brooklynangler said:
Where is some good spey water in the East of North america that is not a shoulder-to-shoulder Salmon River nightmare.
Not one that is likely to be publicized on an open forum :)

If you're willing to hike a ways, you can usually find low-density water on the Salmon, and that's true of other eastern waters as well.

#4 ·
Hey Joe,
Andrew at Tight Lines Flyfishing in Pine Brook, NJ ( 973-244-5990) runs good trips to Newfoundland, I've stayed at the lodge they use, good spot. Guides are required, but generally just get you to the good water and leave you alone. Andrew talks 'spey', so you might want to give him a shout.

Chute Pool Lodge on the Pinware in Labrador is on beautiful spey water. My friend and guide works for them sometimes. Again, guide required, but not a problem (to me). I fish there every year, but don't do the lodge thing.

I agree with Greg on the Salmon R.- I fished it all winter, and usually fished without another angler in sight. Right now would be an excellent time to catch the tail-end of the drop-back steelies.

'Course, as they say , "never leave fish to find fish"- sounds like the bight's waking up!

john

#5 ·
Jump over to the Gaspe thread. You can do Gaspe on a budget if you're willing to stay at a gite` or camp. The fly water is beautiful and there's plenty of room to stretch your spey arm on the lower sections of each river.

The Grand in Ontario is really nice from what little I saw of it during last years clave. I have seen pictures of the Georgian Bay rivers that look like perfect spey water. Perhaps someone else could speak to those.

#6 · (Edited)
Gaspé Fishing

Good Evening BrooklynAngler.

Here is some information about a few of the Gaspé rivers..

"Spey" tacular Fishing!! in June.

I would recommend the following rivers ( well they are the ones I know best)

York River

Sectors: 1-2-3-4-5-6 ( June 1 to June 15), though I would go snoop in Sector 7 ( but don't tell anyone)
Sectors 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 (June 15 to June 30)

Rates for 1 angler / day:
$ 55.00 USD to $85.00USD ( depending on sector you fish)

Dartmouth River

Sectors: 1-2 ( June 1 to June 20),
Then Sector 1-3-4-5 ( June 20 and on)

$ 55.00 USD to $95.00USD ( depending on sector you fish)

St-Jean River

Sectors: 1-2 ( June 1 to June 30),

$ 55.00 USD to $95.00USD ( depending on sector you fish)

Fish start entering our rivers by mid-May..
The first runs are the "Trophy Fish!".

I know for a fact there are still a few excellent openings in early June, and to fish later then it's through a 48 hr draw or you fish open waters ( but, believe me.the open waters are excellent at that time)

Open waters on York: 1-3-5-7
Open waters on Dartmouth: 1-3-5
None on the St-Jean
* open waters means you need no reservations....!
As for lodging:
Motels iin town are $ 60.00 CAD and more...

June 8, 2003 York River

Cheers!

Ann

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.