Spey Pages banner

Help with converted rod?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  MJC 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 10'8" TFO Pro 9wt 3 pc switch rod that was made from a 14' TFO Pro 9wt 4 pc. and would like to know if I should use the same lines that are recommended by rio for the 14 ft rod.

I made this rod by doing away with the bottom section of rod.

Recommendations by rio are
Skagit 600 to 650
Scandi 510 to 550

Has anyone done a conversion of this kind?

Dan

#2 ·
I have made 7ft 3pc single hand rods from 9ft 4pc SH rods and I like to use one wt-class lighter line.

I think you should use shorter head length and perhaps one wt class lighter as well.

If you build a shooting head and test cast a line which is too long when it "feels good" note that the section of line which you keep inside rod loads rod as well so you need to cut first two feet longer what you have out of rod tip. Then tie it to cheap mono line just stripping away 1/2'' of coating and then fold back the core and tie Allbright knot over line and naked core. Then test cast again. Perhaps you need to shorten head more but this way it is easier than adding weight.

#3 ·
I haven't done a conversion like that but I've gone the other way with the "junkyard spey", 8.5' single hander (8wt) to a 12' double hander. Two line sizes up worked out quite well for spey casting.

Put the scandi head on there and start short. In 5 minutes you'll have an answer to your question.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.