Spey Pages banner

Spey for Sandy River/Oxbow

6K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  harley 
#1 ·
I'm looking into getting a spey setup and the closest water to me is the Sandy River (and an occasional trip to the Deschutes). In particular Oxbow State park. I plan to fish often this winter and into spring. Can someone recommend a good beginner's spey setup (rod, line, tippet, flies) for the kind of fish I will encounter?

Thanks!
Russ

#3 ·
Check out the TFO deer creek set ups. I have one of their set ups in a 6 wt and like it. I would recommend a 7wt if you are interested in winter steelhead. PM me. I live in your area and wouldnt mind helping you get started a little bit. I am no pro but it always helps to have a pair of eyes on your form. Forgive me though if it takes a while for me to respond since I am not on this forum as much during this part of the year. It is hunting season after all.

#6 ·
If you want to do it both (Deschutes and Sandy) I'd go with a 7 wt as an 8 is a bit overkill on the Deschutes ... and a 7 can handle the sandy.
I know a guide who prefers to fish the Sandy with a 7wt 13 ft Dec Hogan.
Most people on this board swing flies. Some do both. I've only swung on the Sandy. Lots of 7 wt choices ...

Steve Egge

#7 ·
a 7wt tfo or echo would be good to start ,most people swing on the sandy ,and people might look at you funny with a two hander with an indicator there though it can be done ,I will recommend that you spend money on the reel if you dont like spey fishing a good reel will always sell ,dont go cheap on the reel if you can ,
I did and regret it all the time ,pay atleast 300 for a good reel ,do your research

#9 ·
I will jump in here with my 2 cents. I have fished the sandy a lot the last few years and it has all been swinging with a spey rod. I have fished, sage, echo, burke, TFO and G Loomis. To be perfectly honest I think they all fished great so if price is the issue go with a Echo or TFO. If you want the made in USA and the brands with a little more flair go with the others. I might get some backlash for saying this but in my eyes that is the only difference between Echo/TFO and everything else, made in USA versus Made outside the usa. Do not get me wrong I want to and love to support local rod builders and made in the USA but when it comes to fishing the rod, real and line matched to the two hands holding it makes the only real difference.

As for the reel I agree that getting a good one is key however I would disagree that it must be 300+. Get a used CLA if you can or a Lamson. Or buy them new because Ross or Lamson have reels for well under 300. Or buy a Okuma SLV for 60 if you are really budget restricted and have no other option, it will get you fishing and you will have a blast. Actually you can get a Pflueger Medalist off Ebay for like 10-20 dollars and in the larger sizes you are set. They are no hardy but does it really matter? They work good if they are an older made in the USA model.

7wt or 8wt in the 13-14 foot range and you are golden. If you really want to toss heavy tips and very large heavy flies go with the 8wt.

#14 ·
sink tips will be your only option on the Sandy. I am sure taking a fish on a floating line is possible but most do not even try in the winter. Everyone on here has their own personal taste in what tip and length they fish most but they all agree that you will have a tip on the end of your line in the winter. This might be a little too much info right now but when it comes to tips it makes more sense to buy the 30foot coil in the type you want and make the tips yourself. You can get three tips out of one coil and it saves a lot of money. I really can not say what tip weight you will want because a lot is based off the conditions and location on the river.

The red shed packages are a steel at 425 and I have heard great things about the TFO prism reel. I know the guys in Welches will sell you the same set up for around that price range and they stand behind it.

If you can try the two options before buying. They are both good rods but they really are designed for two different types of casters. You really can not go wrong with either option you just need to know what style best fits you.

Get one of those and start practicing casting and you are on your way.

#15 ·
one more thing. If you are totally new to spey casting then both rods will probably work fine. I am not sure if this is true but it seams like the people I know cast in a way that goes along with the rod they first learned on. This is not science at all just something to think about. If you do not know how to spey cast and learn on the DH or TR then maybe that will dictate how you cast and what rod you like. This might just be a hunch, I am not a spey instructor. I would not over think it if I was you, heck get the rod that you like the look of the most since you will be looking at it a lot, you will be able to cast it after some practice.

#17 ·
there are 2 different Dec Hogan rods being mentioned in this thread

The "guide" rod Steve Egge mentions is the newer Echo. The rod Harley mentions is the older Fly Logic. The newer Echo is a stronger rod, more of a true 7 wt (loads deep with skagit 540/550 head, and some prefer as light as 450 grains). The Fly Logic is a 6/7 wt (loads deep with skagit 500/510, and some prefer as light as 400 grains). Different rods, with different suitability for winter fishing.

For winter fishing on medium sized rivers like the Sandy, which has a mix of small and big water, I will restate what others have said - get a true 7 wt, 7/8 wt, or 8 wt. I find the step from 6/7 wt to true 7 wt is the most critical, transitioning from "somewhat matched" to "fully matched" for winter conditions (big tips, flies, and fish). That little bit of extra power makes a noticeable difference. Stepping to an 8 wt is a "safety play" for a dedicated winter rod that will see tough conditions on a regular basis, but is not essential for day-to-day winter fishing unless you always plan to fish the biggest flies and heaviest tips on big water.

a 13' ish 7 wt or 7/8 wt is a fine rod for fishing most any river in Oregon, any time of the year

#18 ·
Guide Trip

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but taking a day on the water with a local guide will really help to jump start your journey.

Just one day on the water with a guide can really help solve some of the puzzles for a beginner including your rod/line dilemma. It will greatly shorten your learning curve on casting, reading water, fly choice, getting good swings, etc.

If you're on a tight budget, a guide trip certainly does not seam cheap but I assure you, it's worth it. Looking back on all the time and money I spent taking trips to steelhead country while I was still learning everything, I wish I had spent a few more bucks and taken a guide trip.

Enjoy the process.

Mark

#19 ·
@Mark I'm definitely budgeting for a guide or casting class. When I got into fly fishing I took an all day class and it's probably one of the reasons I'm still doing it. It cut out a lot of the frustration.

So yes, one of the reasons I'm trying to buy on the cheap is so I can afford a guide or class!

bikefisher

G
#20 ·
You might see if you can ...

get a hold of Marty Sheppard @ (503) 944-9165 or Travis Johnson @ 1-541-395-0995. Both are good friends, great people and have a TON of Sandy experience. I'm sure they'd have some advice for you.

kc

#21 ·
Yes the "Guide" rod was the Echo 7130 and it was Marty Sheppards.
Great point made about getting a true 7 weight.
Not familiar with the older Fly Logic rods.
I fished the Grande Rhonde with a pair of 6's on my last trip there and felt a little under gunned as the river was higher and really needed some longer casts in some places ... so I used my Sage IIIe 6126-3 which is a strong 6 ....
On my recent trip to the John Day where the river was higher and we needed bigger tips than usual on the JD ... I was so happy to have a pair of 7's with me ... I know I got some fish that I wouldn't have if I had gone lighter. First trip with the Beulah Platinum 7. To me it has the same sort of full flexing action as the Decho 7 but a tad more upscale in finish. Couldn't have been more pleased.

Steve

#22 ·
shopping for spey gear

Russ
No offense to Poppy, he sounds like an amazing, straight-up stand-up guy, but you have access to what is probably the premier steelhead fly shop in the world right here in Welches Oregon. It is an advantage to have a personal relationship with your gear provider. You could ride your bike to his front door, walk in and throw different rod/reel/line combos before you purchase at the Flyfishing Shop. All the people in there are experts; founts of information for novices like you, and I as well. I cannot speak highly enough about this place. I love them and their store. You should find a copy, as well, of the Sandy River Journal, written some years ago by Mark Bachmann, co-owner with his wife Patty of the shop. He is a writer of remarkable perception and sensitivity. He also runs a guide business on the river. Give them a bash, you won't regret it.

#23 ·
fly shops

I would never ever call down a person`s place of business. I quite simply would not deal there. I have been fishing for 62 years and buying and selling gear for a good portion of that time. Usually us guy anglers are like women at a makeup counter. Most of us simply cannot make up our mind. AND a short time down the road the quite expensive gear that we bought has been replaced by something better so the circle starts all over again. In my humble experience there is not anyone like POPPY at REDSHED. He will give you skilled advice, you can talk to him about anything,his prices are in line and you can be assured of getting what you pay for.""QUICKLY". I receive items faster from Poppy than from Ontario with our screwed up POSTAL system in this country in CANADA. I totally agree that you should brag about and shop where you want. As will I. I will never leave The REDSHED--it is quite simply where I go when I need some gear. Namely two handed needs.

Regards,
Harley (WAYNE)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.