Spey Pages banner

UK or Korean??

5K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  grinr 
#1 ·
In the process of purchasing a Hardy Salmon 2 reel and was wondering how to tell if it is UK made or Korean. Are there any markings or serial numbers that indicate its origin? Thanks in advance, SH.

#2 ·
Id say with that particular reel.id say the only difference would be older and newer.time and care would tell for the ware in the reel.older says "english made." Korean made sticker in the foot.ive read comments on the rivets.but id imagine with the way the reels made they would go bad over time.nice reel tho

#9 ·
Honestly, I don't really know

Right now, I would say most of the difference is in the nostalgia of a British-made Marquis (and I still call any of them "Mar-Kee"). Time will tell if the K-mades hold up as well, but we may have to wait a long time.

I like the idea that machined is better than cast, stronger, I guess. So K+1. I'm not so hot on screws versus pins or rivets. Never saw a screw that didn't work loose. So K-1. The rim on the outside of the spool frame to keep the leader from getting behind the spool is an OK idea, but I've never had much trouble with that on this series. So K=B. I do like the bigger handle on the K-made. So K+1.

By my score, K wins by 1. Holding the price down is another factor that K has going for it. I'd rather have a Hardy designed and engineered reel made in K than about any other reel, except a Speyco. And, I won't have to pay an arm and a leg for it.

#10 ·
Hardy Reels

Moving factories to low-cost producers is not unique to Hardy. All the factors you list are design changes ragardless of where the reels are manufactured. In Hardy's case, I believe the parts are actually manufactured in England and assembled in Korea but would need to confirm.

Also, overseas assembly plants are very capable (in some cases more capable) of producing the parts. What is unique with Hardy is the prestige or cache it has built with it's brand. Many companies leverage this brand cache and move manufacturing overseas to reduce labour costs and increase profit margins. In Hardy's case, they have also released a lower cost product line for the rest of us fishing hacks which I appreciate.

#11 ·
For me this will be my first vintage reel. It is my understanding that in the (unlikely) event that I end up selling it, the UK models have better resale value. The other posts on this thread have offered up plenty of unexpected insight into my purchase so thanks to all!

#12 ·
There is a "tell"

The new Korean-made Salmon 2s (Kardys, I call them) have a slotted reel handle post. Looks like a screw head. The handle posts on UK made reels have a flat surface. There are other differences not obvious in a photo. The UK reels have a bushing in the bore of the spool that also sets the amount of end-play, which should be nil on a reel in good condition. The Kardys have no bushing, apparently relying on “superior machining” to accomplish the good fit. My personal experience has been that the fit she is not so good, resulting in me returning my Kardy spool purchases to Hardy USA for replacement with new old stock UK-made spools. My reels, Salmon 1s and 2s, are from the first run of Marquis fitted with the dual spring and pawl check. So they are indeed old. NO rivet problems at all. The only problem I have encountered is that the ribbed brass feet of the 2s don’t always fit in a US made reel seat. So several years ago I sent one of the reels back to Hardy UK to have an aluminum foot fitted for these rods. I have a spare spring and pawl set for each reel, but I haven’t used them yet, forty years later. That is a comment on quality of build and longevity. My reels work for a living, and they show the marks, but there hasn’t ever been a problem with quality or mechanics. More than I can say about Kardys.

#14 ·
I once made a nice 10'6" rod for centerpin fishing. I had just purchased a beautiful new Hardy Silex intending to use it on this rod. After the rod was built, I discovered that the heavy,ribbed brass reel foot on the Hardy would not fit the reel seat I had put on the rod. Only two things to do, grind down the reel feet, or make another rod. I didn't want to damage or change the Reel, so I made another rod with the appropriate reel seat.

I learned my lesson. I never make a rod without seeing if the reel will fit the intended reel seat. Now I have two great rods, one with a spinning reel and one with the Hardy Silex for centerpin fishing.

#15 ·
If you look on a New Hardy reel there will be a code no, usually on the reel foot area beginning with an A prefix.This denotes made in Alnwick.No code no. then its a far eastern produced item.Now one thing to observe is a reel may well have the A prefix,but the parts are sourced outside the UK and merely assembled in Alnwick.If you go on the Hardy on line website you can identify which of the new reels and rods are PRODUCED in the UK as opposed to assembled there or sourced outwit the UK.It's usually the high end rods n reels that are produced in Alnwick(Artisan rod,Fortuna reels)the others are assembled UK with parts sourced outwith and the newer budget ranges all sourced outwith the UK.Not sure of exact dates when all this occurred and when certain models of reels had production switched etc or what models are affected.Sat here looking at My Viscount L.A. and its obviously far eastern, looking at my collection or Marquis 3's and its obvious there all Alnwick(but they're all getting on a bit).My Angel,Swift and ULDLA's are all coded A prefix,but have all suffered seizure of the one way bearing that is the drag system,assembled in the UK with far eastern sourced parts I believe.
Its not uncommon nowadays to get home with your much lusted after Hardy purchase and see a made in Korea sticker somewhere about it.Sign of the times folks.Yorkie.

#16 ·
David1123

I have 3 SA System fly reels, which I purchased new. All the spools have rattled since day one. I recently purchased a Korean Marquis Salmon 1, no rattles, extremely close tolerances, better design, much better reel. Its not that the Koreans do better work, they don't, its because its made on a CNC machine. It dose the same process perfectly over and over again. However I wish they were still made in England. Big mistake on Hardy's part. Just my opinion.

#17 ·
I have 3 SA System fly reels, which I purchased new. All the spools have rattled since day one. I recently purchased a Korean Marquis Salmon 1, no rattles, extremely close tolerances, better design, much better reel. Its not that the Koreans do better work, they don't, its because its made on a CNC machine. It dose the same process perfectly over and over again. However I wish they were still made in England. Big mistake on Hardy's part. Just my opinion.
In this day & age companies need to be competitive & cost effective to the consumer, even a well established name like Hardy

All patents with quality controls is up to the Hardy brass in keeping tight tolerances, from I gather the hard guts are still made in England but the same machines as back in the day, but the CNC parts are made offshore. I am not so sure in the final reel assembly?

In my opinion anything machined out of bar stock with the proper tolerances is far better & stronger than a part cast in sand, yes the nostalgic vintage reels brings more collector value but those reels are mostly subjected to the show case instead of the hard core uses that a reel is made for. but if the vintage is used there is more care in the reel than fishing :razz:

I do praise Hardy in bringing back the old school reels in today's upgraded manufacturing processes, a testament to that is the new parts interchange & works better attached to the old

Sorry to get off track to OP but I feel that offshore outsourcing will always be the norm in cost effectiveness with the proper quality control

I know cuz this is what is killing my business in north America

Gb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.