Hardy Mach spey lines - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Tackle
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2013, 03:42 PM

Hardy Mach spey lines

Hoping to hear from anyone who has cast Hardy's Mach speylines. They call them Mid lines but they are short belly integrated lines. Seems to me the specs look real good and the multi-tip version belly sounds similar to nextcast WA45. They also offer a fully integrated intermediate sinktip line along with varying sinking heads. Hoping someone has cast any of these and would be willing to post there comments. Looks like they might be made by Airflo. Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Specs, all integrated: http://fly.hardyfishing.com/en-gb/pr...ch-spey-lines/

Specs, multi-tip: http://fly.hardyfishing.com/en-gb/pr...ch-multi-spey/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Internet Scientist

I have a Hardy Mach spey-9-F and use it on my sage 9140 giiie. It's an integrated line with a 55ft head, but I cut off slightly under 3ft from the tip to give it a little more turnover power with polys. I mostly use it with a 10ft floating poly for T&G casting, but have used it with up to a slow sinking poly and T&G casts (and/or double speys). One of my favorite lines, it resides permanently on my speyco reel that Tim built to 17.4oz empty to balance the 9140 on the swing. I like the running line on this better than the delta's, not as thick and a little slicker. That's about all I know, HTH.
The Spey cast is chiefly remarkable for two distinct facts: (l) That in transit, the line pays a brief visit to the water ; (2) That the cast is entertaining to some, exasperating to others, yet the idol of all. Tips, George M. Kelson

The salmon fly is, after all, a very artificial thing. What it might represent to the salmon is largely conjectural. The Evolution of the Salmon Fly, T.E. Pryce-Tannatt
Old 12-20-2013, 04:11 PM
''Speydo-masochist''

I have the #11wt, 65ft head version with the clear intermediate sinking tip (it's about 14 or 15 ft long I believe) & it is a bit of a rocket. As mentioned above the running line is quite hard & slick & it really does shoot well.

My friend uses the 55 ft head versions on his 14 footer, floater, intermediate & type 2 sinker - they all go well.

The only downside is that the very slick running line can be hard to hang on to with wet hands on a really cold day, particularly when you are trying to really wind one up to cover a distant lie; but the ease of shooting more than compensates for this.

Regards, Tyke.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:52 PM

Are we confusing the Hardy Mach lines both Mach II and Mach 55 with the new Hardy Mach Spey lines?
I have found the new Mach Spey lines to be generally much heavier than the stated weights. For example I found the Hardy Mach Spey 9/10 to be far too heavy for my Greys XF2 14T #9.
However, the same rod is perfectly balanced with the older Hardy Mach II or Hardy Mach 55 10 weight lines, each of which as a 55' head.
H
Old 12-20-2013, 05:10 PM
''Speydo-masochist''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibernicus View Post
Are we confusing the Hardy Mach lines both Mach II and Mach 55 with the new Hardy Mach Spey lines?
I have found the new Mach Spey lines to be generally much heavier than the stated weights. For example I found the Hardy Mach Spey 9/10 to be far too heavy for my Greys XF2 14T #9.
However, the same rod is perfectly balanced with the older Hardy Mach II or Hardy Mach 55 10 weight lines, each of which as a 55' head.
H
You're right, I just read the specs on the new ones & realised I was commenting on the older range.

Apologies, Tyke.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
H
Thanks for bringing that up. I was hoping to hear about the newest lines currently available.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
H
Agreed, 100%.

I have found the same, and had to return lines for that reason.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:24 AM

Multi-tip version

Thanks, it's good to know if a line might be heavier than expected. Since I like the belly lengths in the specs I'd make another query. Has anyone cast the multi-tip version? The belly's are shorter and might work nicely with alot of different tip options. Has anyone cast a multi-tip version? I'm all ears
Old 12-23-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klickrolf View Post
Thanks, it's good to know if a line might be heavier than expected. Since I like the belly lengths in the specs I'd make another query. Has anyone cast the multi-tip version? The belly's are shorter and might work nicely with alot of different tip options. Has anyone cast a multi-tip version? I'm all ears
Hi,

I bought the Hardy 9/10 multi-tip for use on the Zenith 14' 6". The line is very smooth and supple with little memory and has an integrated running line which has a relatively large diameter. It has small neat high quality loops and from memory, the head weight was fairly accurate, perhaps just marginally overweight.

In terms of performance, I found it ok but it certainly didn't have any wow factor. If the running line was of smaller diameter, I suspect it may have had much more appeal for me. It seems to be a cross between a shooting head and a short spey. I was tempted to replace it's running line but sold it instead and purchased a Mackenzie multi-tip shooting head which simply flies off the rod tip, maintains stability and requires little effort.

I passed the Hardy multi-tip to a few other anglers for evaluation. While no one said it was a bad line, equally no one was particularly excited by it.

Regards,

Clobemonman

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: