Swinging Basics - Page 2 - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Spey Basics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letEMgo View Post
This video helped me a lot with understanding different mends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq2TrQu0SGU
Very glad this was posted. I would have thought that the broadside cast he demonstrates was awful form from what I previously thought I knew. Big bowed out belly, lots of drag, etc. Very interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2013, 09:37 PM

there is not near the drag you think is occurring - by leading with the rod you are actually taking drag off the drift and allowing it to sink at least early in the swing

Last edited by Rick J; 10-13-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick J View Post
there is not near the drag you think is occurring - by leading with the rod your are actually taking drag off the drift and allowing it to sink at least early in the swing
Thanks Rick,

What is keeping the fly broadside to the current (and moving faster across the bucket) if not drag?

Also, is he initially pulling the Fly backwards on his pull back mend? It looks like he is.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:47 AM

your initial set up and positioning of the line keeps it broadside as you are essentially casting 90 degrees then dropping the rod tip downstream to maintain this line position for as long as possible - certainly once it comes under tension it will start to swing across and you will then lose the broadside position of the fly. But before it comes under tension, the entire system is floating downstream essentially at current speed
Old 10-13-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick J View Post
your initial set up and positioning of the line keeps it broadside as you are essentially casting 90 degrees then dropping the rod tip downstream to maintain this line position for as long as possible - certainly once it comes under tension it will start to swing across and you will then lose the broadside position of the fly. But before it comes under tension, the entire system is floating downstream essentially at current speed
So broadside before the swing, tail downstream during the swing? I am not seeing why he would feel that would be a faster presentation during the swing.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:27 PM

There should be a few pages of things like "What do fish do" like where they fit into the water system, what they see and why they actually do it. In fresh water systems, fish are pretty critical about their feeding habits, where they sit to wait for tucker to come swimming by, and in those shallow creeks, lakes and streams, they have to see the edible stuff.
After all, its the fish you are aiming at, not a water hole for casting practise, and those insects, like your flies, are actually food.
I wouldn't fish freshwater in a fit, it isn't my kind of thing, but the end result is a fish and whether they are fresh water types or salties, they ALL have fixed habits.
Like before you fish a system, have a walk along the edges and look at the places where fish might hang out, and the easiest spots to fish, and where certain styles of casts fit.
With salt water estuaries and flats its best to walk around the things at low tide and look at places where the fish might sit waiting for tucker to appear.

Maxg
Old 10-13-2013, 02:43 PM

During the swing it does speed up compared to the down and across as the belly will speed up with the broadside presentation compared to trying to slow the swing across - but both methods help get the fly relatively deep initially - one by incorporating a pull back mend and the other by trying to put slack in with rod tip position - you can actually put in a pull back on the broadside approach as well.

In both methods by stepping down after the cast, you can impart even more sinking time.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:24 PM

great vid

letEMgo, Thanks for posting the vid, that made everything crystal.

Thanks everyone else for posting tips and videos, I am truly impressed with the amount of support I've gotten on here, now I gotta get back out and practice!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:16 AM

Here's a good article on swinging flies:

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-f...hing-or-is-it/

Randy
Old 10-22-2013, 03:34 PM

Success!

Thanks again everyone for your help,

I started doing the pull back cast on my last excurision on the Saugeen and managed to catch me my first Steelhead on the fly!

A special thanks to MarkyZ for meeting up with me and giving me some personal one on one instruction. I will send a nice bottle of scotch your way sometime soon!

bent13rod, thanks for the advice on the black fly, the fish was caught on a 3inch black rabbit leech pattern.

Wealth of information this forum, you guys are all class acts!

Pierre
Old 10-22-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfducha View Post
Thanks again everyone for your help,

I started doing the pull back cast on my last excurision on the Saugeen and managed to catch me my first Steelhead on the fly!

A special thanks to MarkyZ for meeting up with me and giving me some personal one on one instruction. I will send a nice bottle of scotch your way sometime soon!

bent13rod, thanks for the advice on the black fly, the fish was caught on a 3inch black rabbit leech pattern.

Wealth of information this forum, you guys are all class acts!

Pierre
Glad to do it Pierre, thanks in advance for the scotch!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:57 PM

Way to go Pierre.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:49 PM

Nice going on your first!! I can just imagine how you feel. I'm still pumped for a week after getting one now. To tell you the truth, I have caught them on orange flies, pink flies, purple flies, and of course black flies with contrasting colours. As long as you have confidence in what you swing, you will have success sooner or later. See you on the river.
B13R

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: