Islander gear and pawl reel - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Tackle
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 09:55 PM

Islander gear and pawl reel

Well I've been looking and buying up reels trying to find a reel for my 12'6" 6wt rods....I have a taupe that arch. made a stronger spring for that I use the most...but that sucker goes sub sonic when you get a fish...(for you guys that think loud clickers attract bears..this one attracts eagles, screeches)

What I've found with most is the gear or click if you prefer is just too weak for my liking...since I won't see my baby olson till I retire probably...I've been on the hunt....I have a kingpin lost somewhere in the mail....So I've been looking at the new Islander...

The boys at waters west sent me one that I got today....I got it with the #6 spool and it's lined up and ready to go....

My thoughts on this reel is it's one big mother...bigger then I expected but since it takes three different spools I see the reasoning behind that....it's also not the blingiest reel i've ever seen...pretty plain jane in fact....but for once someone got the spring right....You tighten it down and it's got some stones...

Balances my rod Ok, a little heavy but not enough to cause any problems...but I gotta say again, they got the spring right...the settings can be dialed in to whatever your preference might be..and for me it's strong enough finally...

Would sure like to see them make a 3 3/4 frame....still think these companies (exception of abels switch reel size) are missing a market as rods come down in size and weight....

If anyone else is in the same boat, I'd recommend taking a look at the Islander...FYI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 01:50 AM

There have been some nice click and pawl reels coming out lately. I have the Abel Spey and Switch and like them a lot, but I've been eyeing the Kingpin and the Islander. I noticed that the Islander has a non-caged frame design. I'd be interested to hear how that works out for you. I like that they have some heft to them.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:58 AM
Corvus Ossifragus

Hi Paul-

Post a photo of the guts if you don't mind. I really like the smaller IR series of Islanders except for the plastic gear. I was hoping they put a steel gear in the spey sized reel.

T.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:23 PM

A year or two ago there were some pictures of a prototype posted on flybc, and a couple of guys had gotten their hands on the actual reel. One of the major observations was how easily it would backlash when pulling line off it hard. A couple weeks ago I got my hands on one to look at at the islander booth at the local fishing/hunting show. I was quite pleased to see that they not only tightened up the drag tension but that it is also VERY adjustable from loose to tight with significant adjustment. The tension on my Hardy Marquis is technically adjustable but there is hardy a difference between loose and tight. I liked the looks of the Islander, definately looks like an Islander reel. I think its a neat idea being able to use different size spools and the same frame depending on your requirements.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:05 PM

Talking

Thanks for posting this topic as I am looking at purchasing one of these reels but haven't yet had one in my hands. I was questioning what the spring tension would be like but it sounds like it may be better than I was expecting. I can't wait play with one now. Cheers!
Old 03-31-2013, 06:17 PM

I fished with it yesterday and while had the tension set one down from the highest which felt good to me...I wasn't anticipating any 20 pound fish burning my fingers, especially on my smaller rod....
I hooked a pig of a bull trout, plus 5 lbs that actually fought really well...thought I'd hooked a small steelhead as it took the fly and ran out into the faster water and up river twice...Till I saw it I was pretty sure it was a steel...not your typical hard hit then head shake in bull fight...

Later I by pure chance hooked and lost a steelhead...reel was fine and very smooth...easy to put your fingers in the cage if needed as well...If I had any clue I might have gotten such a hot fish I would have set it up one more notch to full on...Did switch it after I lost the fish to a tail dance...but ended up switching it back down as it was actually fine the way it was and let the fish run a little smoother....Best way to describe this drag is smooth..strong but purrs...

Funny thing is I actually really like how the reel performed...and how it looked.. By the end of the day I was quite happy with my choice...Still a bit big but didn't notice it at all on the rod...and the wide spool is actually really nice when you do have a fish on!!!

Give it two thumbs up!!!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:45 PM

I use a St John on my 6126 and use my fingers for drag, on all of my steelhead reels The drag is simply there to stop over run and has zero to do with slowing Mr. Fish down..same when I used to pin them, clicker simply was ever used when transporting the rod so it wouldn't unwind...

Hot spazz fish and a tightened down drag means broken tippet, and eventually that lesson gets learned too...
Old 04-03-2013, 12:40 AM

I'll second the motion that the St. John is an excellent match on a 6126.
I have also occasionally used a Hardy Zenith or a 3 7/8" Perfect, but The St. John has been the reel of choice lately.
A 3 1/2" Perfect is also a nice match.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfish View Post
I use a St John on my 6126 and use my fingers for drag, on all of my steelhead reels The drag is simply there to stop over run and has zero to do with slowing Mr. Fish down..same when I used to pin them, clicker simply was ever used when transporting the rod so it wouldn't unwind...

Hot spazz fish and a tightened down drag means broken tippet, and eventually that lesson gets learned too...
Wow..your cool..
Thanks!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 03:45 PM

I'm also in the camp where spring and pawl reels are to prevent spool over run and not function the way an adjustable disc drag does. I'm not sure that I'd want a spring to provide significantly more drag than that because as line comes off the reel, any given drag setting decreases as a matter of physics. Ergo the infinitely adjustable manual drag of finger or palm pressure on the reel spool, which is adjusted according to how much line in on the reel.

I have concerns with some springs that are too weak to check spool over run, which occurs on some Hardy Salmon Marquis.

Sg
Old 04-05-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo_g View Post
I'm also in the camp where spring and pawl reels are to prevent spool over run and not function the way an adjustable disc drag does. I'm not sure that I'd want a spring to provide significantly more drag than that because as line comes off the reel, any given drag setting decreases as a matter of physics. Ergo the infinitely adjustable manual drag of finger or palm pressure on the reel spool, which is adjusted according to how much line in on the reel.

I have concerns with some springs that are too weak to check spool over run, which occurs on some Hardy Salmon Marquis.

Sg
The Islander is one of the few that I have felt that give you a wide range of adjustments...almost all of the lighter reels I've tried springs have been weak to the point of backlashing even on short distance casts...

My Olson is set up with a strong spring but trout can cause it to bark...I have an old dingley that has a spring that I consider almost too strong as it will act as brake on smaller fish...That said, a strong fish will make it sing pretty easily...

If I wanted a drag I would own one...what I don't want is a reel like the Abel switch I had before they shipped stronger springs...where when a fish takes it causes the reel to backlash....I don't glue my finger to the cork with the line, I barely touch it so I can feel any taps etc. a sudden take and a backlash pisses me off....Having a click or gear on a steelhead set up that gives me enough tension so I can cast and fish it without backlash is what I'm after....I think Islander did a good job on this reel, though a smaller version would be nice..

Something else I should add is if you fish with a loop in your hand like said st. john user...if a fish took and you dropped the loop you'd have time to get your hand up to the reel and play the fish...I grease line so I carry no loop, just my finger on the line for feel....When I feel the tap tap tap and I set the hook I'm not grabbing the line to do so, a simple swing in to shore is what I do....a weak spring again will backlash when I've done this...so not what I'm looking for...

I would consider the Islander versatile enough with it's settings to be used for fish from smaller trip summer runs and trout to big strong fish on big water!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:22 PM

Sg

In my experience as a lot of line comes off the reel the drag increases, as the distance falls between the line and the center of the spool - shorter lever arm to spin the spool.

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin
Old 04-05-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfish View Post

Very true Ralf. Stock G&P reels land countlless Steelhead and Salmon every year for most with no issues so I don't get what all the fuss over drag tension is about. I've had the good fortune of encountering some very hot fish on my hardies and never felt undergunned
Old 04-06-2013, 11:53 AM

I agree the whole point of g&p reels is using your fingers as drag. I too came from using centerpins so it was a natural thing and don't really like using disk drag reels as much.

I think what Golf was getting at was not to be playing fish stricktly off the drag but that some reels have too weak of a spring so if a hot fish takes hard and you don't have a hand on the reel it will back lash. This reel has lots of adjustability to dail it in how you prefer so it doesn't lock up on a hot take before you get your hand down there.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNF861 View Post
I agree the whole point of g&p reels is using your fingers as drag. I too came from using centerpins so it was a natural thing and don't really like using disk drag reels as much.

I think what Golf was getting at was not to be playing fish stricktly off the drag but that some reels have too weak of a spring so if a hot fish takes hard and you don't have a hand on the reel it will back lash. This reel has lots of adjustability to dail it in how you prefer so it doesn't lock up on a hot take before you get your hand down there.
Glad you got it!!! Tried twice...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: