skagit vs scandi - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Tackle
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 11:54 PM

skagit vs scandi

I live in Michigan, my first experience with a spey rod was with scandi line...I currently use scandi, rio to be exact...im thinking of going to a skagit set up for my next rod. I like the idea of tossing big flys and getting them down fast. Im not terribly hip on the skagit set ups. Obviously I know grain wgt etc etc...but not sure what a good skagit set up is for the great lakes region I fish...Michigan and Ohio...which are two completely types of river systems. With my scandi set up I basically just switch tips to adjust for river flows, and depths....kinda confused on the whole issue. I know that Skagits are more compact, but what dose that do for me?...I fish a style, in which I would call it probing a hole/run...im not much of a big sweeper, and prefer my flys to start working fast. Obviously manipulation through up and down stream mends help facilitate this...as well as casting angles...which I fully understand...I would say until recently I have been using mid size streamer style flys.. I am just getting into the intruders, and bigger profile flys....which sometimes I notice my scandi dose not turn over very well...and advice or tech is greatly appreciated
If you entertain a debate without the willingness to change your opinion or stance ; does it not become grandstanding? Do not become so obtuse, or jade'd to envelop what good someone has to say. Winston Churchill said "It takes courage to stand up and voice your opinion, but it also takes courage to sit down and listen"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 11:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to AKFLY
Just do it!

I am by no means an expert but I hope to see some solid feedback from members that fish the Midwest systems.

I think you answered your own question. If you are looking to deliver larger patterns that you cannot properly turnover with your Scandi systems then get a Skagit head and some T material to add to the tips that you already have and you are good to go. If you’re looking to slow the swing down and get down a little further you may even consider and intermediate Skagit head option.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:44 PM

Michfin what type Rio Scandi do you fish?
I tend to fish Skagit heads often because they give me more of an edge tight casting situations. But I like the Rio AFS heads as I thought they give a better presentation then the Airflo compact scandi's I have. In a narrow river with a short spey rod the AFS does kind feel like a short belly to me. The odd thing I discovered is both my LS2 1206 and my ACR 1386 cast the same skagit heads well from 350 to 425 grains so far. I wonder if there is much difference between a scandi compact or using a lighter skagit head as I have cast both, and like the skagit more.
I fish mostly more traditional style flies as well so I don't need all that much mass.
I also think you answered your own question.

Sorry for the ramble.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:01 AM

Whew! When I first saw the title if your post, I was like "not another skagit vs. scandi war"! Seriously though, there have been several excellent threads about the merits of each for winter fishing. You should try a couple of searches. You already cast scandi style and with the right line, you can cast large flies and fast sinking tips. Short lines with thick tips like Rio Scandi Short or Guideline DDC work well. Larger rods like 9 wt also help with large flies.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:58 PM

I throw the Rio Scandi versi tip...it works...I think im going to get a rio skagit, some t 15, and see what that dose....any suggestions?..for grains, or set ups
If you entertain a debate without the willingness to change your opinion or stance ; does it not become grandstanding? Do not become so obtuse, or jade'd to envelop what good someone has to say. Winston Churchill said "It takes courage to stand up and voice your opinion, but it also takes courage to sit down and listen"
Old 03-20-2013, 03:12 PM

Wink As the Brit's would say: "Simples."

Skagits are for 'real sinking tips/"T" this or that of any length.

Scandi's are for sinking Polly leaders. You can shoot short lengths of 'T' this or that, but just that, short lengths.

To over simplify: Skagit's are blunt heads with 'mass in the ass' to move the weight in front. Scandi's are more of a 'fenence' (bad spelling intended) line with a tapered tip. Gentle presentation if you will.

"Deep down and dirty?" Skagit.

Low water and 'sneak up?' A Scandi.

Just my .02 cents. And all should know 'I know everything about everything.'
Old 03-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Released to spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by michifin View Post
I throw the Rio Scandi versi tip...it works...I think im going to get a rio skagit, some t 15, and see what that dose....any suggestions?..for grains, or set ups
The grain weight of the Skagit head you will need will be determined in some considerable degree by the rod you choose to cast that Skagit head off. Often, there will be a recommended grain weight for that rod for any of the Skagit, Scandi and Spey lines, or at least a grain window (range).

For the tips, you may wish to get a good length of T11, T14 or even T17, and make tips in lengths from 5 to 15+ feet of each, and go out and test the set-up with your rod & Skagit head, varying the tip length for the depth & flow of fish-holding areas, as well as keeping the leader/tippet length to between 3 and 7 feet, with whatever chicken-sized intruder you fancy

Mike

Take only photographs, retain only memories, leave only a good impression of yourself, perhaps just footprints.

Your lines, your rivers, your way!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michifin View Post
I noticed that the DC type tips that come with the Scandi Short Versitip are pretty light and have thin diameters. This is why I prefer Guideline DDC. Those tips are thick and heavy. In fact, the 15' tips on my #9/10 line weigh about the same as 13' of T-14 which I sometimes use , so yes you can throw "real sink tips".
Old 03-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Plastic line aerialist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxl8aaswF34

Here are a couple of Scandinavian fellows who are digging Skagit,and do some interesting comparisons between Skag. and Scan.... interesting and entertaining.

WB.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:32 PM

I am by no means as experienced as many regarding steelhead fishing on the MI tribs, but I have fished the Muskegon with, and learned from, the best of them (IMHO) and I am covinced that an intermediate sinking shooting belly -- like the now mostly unavailable Guideline DDC connect -- is the way to go. For my Winston BIIx 13-ft 8-wt, a 480 grain 21-foot DDC intermediate belly with 8-12 feet of T something (T-8, T-10, T-14), five feet of leader and you are good to go. I have also used an SA Skagit Extreme intermediate belly (which while called "skagit" pretty much imitates the DDC) and (thanks to the Red Shed) I will be trying out the Airflo Skagit Intermediate Compact. IMHO, these lines are designed for the Midwest steelhead rivers and, at theast the ones I have fished, work as advertised.

If you really have to dredge the bottom, and S-2/S-3 or S-3/S-4 Guideline PT sinking shooting head does the trick. Again, these are now in short supply in the US, but I am sure others line companies will be making or already have similar lines available.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: