Hardy Marquis: English v. Korean - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Tackle
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 12:40 AM

Hardy Marquis: English v. Korean

If you set aside any collectability or 'cool' factor associated with owning the original Marquis, and consider only functionality/quality, is there any disadvantage to owning the Korean-made Marquis?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 07:59 AM

No none, in my opinion
Old 03-03-2013, 09:21 AM

I have both and I like both. The Korean made reels are machined aluminum which from a technical point of view is an upgrade. I think the drag is a bit stronger on the Korean made reels, but the old reel feels smoother. They are both great reels.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:03 AM

Marquis

I am not a collector. I had a 1970's British Salmon #2 and have a newer Korean Salmon #2. The newer reel is better for my purposes. Very solid, close tolerances, strong click, and more substantial "drag" most likely due to a more substantial spring (I don't know if that is the correct term so I hope I am making myself clear).

IMHO, if a well respected manufacturer moves production to Korea or China and itself supervises quality control, Asian produced equipment should be just as good, if not better. In my experience dealing with Asian manufacturers in my business, once the workers are shown how to do manufacture a particular product and we keep checking quality control, the finished product is excellent.

My $0.02
Old 03-03-2013, 12:02 PM

New vs old

I think the new Marquis have the feel of some of the 1970s Marquies. They feel lighter, or less solid, although I think the weight difference is very little and the workmanship is similar, less movement on the spindle on the new models.

For me the biggest difference is the sound.
The English made reels have a smooth mellow tone.

The brass foot and made in England stamp evokes traditional nostalgia.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:06 PM

I appreciate the replies. Other than the fact that the English are like to appreciate and the korean depreciate, it's hard to believe that the new ones wouldn't be equal or better.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:37 PM

The new Marquis is a fully machined reel. The English are dia cast. I think they added some other improvements which I'll not take the time to look up.
Or it comes down to cheaper by the pound. I'm always on the look out for used Marguis and I'm not yet seeing many of the new ones on offer.
Ken
Old 03-05-2013, 08:18 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to GR8LAKES FLYER Send a message via Skype™ to GR8LAKES FLYER
I don't own a Marquis , either UK made or Korean , so take this for what it's worth .

I do own a Cascapedia MKIII 10/11 made in Korea and recently purchased a 4" Bougle MKVII also made in Korea . I can't compare them to any of the UK made reels because I never owned any of them . I must say this , the reels that I own are superb , both fit and finish . Very tight tolerances , no spool wobble or handle play and they sound great . Mechanically , they are well built . They are very clean and sharp looking reels , no finish flaws at all .

I'm very happy with my purchases .

Mike
Old 03-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Spey Is The Way

Excellent question. There is a YouTube video out that you should watch. I have both reels and I love the look of the dark face made in England ones. Here is what I like about the Korean ones. The reel foot will fit modern rods better. The drag adjustment is easier to work. The biggie for me is the handle. It is a little longer and has a very slightly textured finish to it. It is so much nicer to hold on to. Watch the video, they made some machining differences as well. Very nice reels. Also I don't think they click any worse than the English. Hope this helps. Actually I have often thought of selling my English to buy a Korean but it is mint. One day I want to, next day I don't. Too many choices.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:02 AM

I own a Bougle VII and a Marquis Salmon #1 both brand new made in Korea. I then also just purchased a Perfect Taupo which is still made in England.

I have friends with old Marquis reels and the difference between mine and theirs is minimal and they sound the same. same goes for my Bougle

I do really love the older dinged up, finish wearing off, story telling reels from years past however I also enjoy buying something new and starting the reels journey. The korean made Hardy's will be around just as long if not longer than their English cousins

I heard somewhere that production of the Bougle will be headed back to England as well. Guess that means the price will jump

Im very happy with all my Hardy reels. Im now looking at which reels for my trout rods (im thinking Cascapedia's)
Old 03-06-2013, 10:00 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz4Yh...layer_embedded

Gary showes the changes made to the Marquis on this video
Old 03-06-2013, 04:05 PM

I do get a bit disgruntled by the flak the koreans get for engineering practises. If they can knock out a super tanker in 4 days Im sure they can put toghether a decent reel. And they do by all accounts as some of you have stated in this forum. They WILL however build anything and by that they build to a customers ( european )specs and thats where I think the QC problem arise.IF any arises
Hardy Im afraid are just another page in a long story book telling the tale about the demise of British engineering...Hardy will probably land up on the uk engineering scrap heap along with Land rover and Jaguar to name a couple ..Yes cheaper labour has something to do with it but it helps if your products and business practises are not crap.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:44 PM

I own an English Made Marquis and seen several Korean made ones.

I think the Korean ones are made better. YMMV.

Koreans make pretty good products and these are the people who bring you, Samsung, LG, Hyundai, Kia and much more.. I'm sure they'd have no issues 'printing' out a few reels..
Old 03-06-2013, 06:38 PM

Regardless of which country is making them...are the new reels made to the same 'quality' of the old reels?

Yes in the case of the Marquis.

Anodized finish. Spun from bar stock. Bushing tolerances seem to be the same, if not better.

Pawls and springs are still made in England (at least they were last time I heard).

The finish IS different. Paint v anodize. So they do 'feel' and look different from the older reels. No brass foot. Otherwise they are so close...does it really matter for this particular design? No. You get a functional reel that will last for a very long time.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:38 PM

I have an English made Salmon3 only reason is i prefer the grey face and brass foot. Ive played with Korean made Marquis at my local shop, they are just as nice. Biggest thing that will determine how long a reel will last is maintenance, clean and lube and they will be reliable for as long as i'm lucky to use them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: