How simple can you go.... - Page 3 - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Fishing Forums > Hooks, Feathers and Floss
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 09:11 PM

I once was working a player (while guiding) that kept coming to smaller and smaller flies. I was up on the bank where I could see every move the steelhead made to my client's fly. I finally thought, "What the hell" and broke out my knife and completely stripped a size 8 fly -- nothing but a bare hook. That was the "fly" that she finally committed to. Bam! Fish on! You can bet I was filled with the spirit of A.H.E. Wood and his Red and Blue Shanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec Hogan View Post
I once was working a player (while guiding) that kept coming to smaller and smaller flies. I was up on the bank where I could see every move the steelhead made. I finally thought, "What the hell" and broke out my knife and completely stripped a size 8 fly -- nothing but a bare hook. That was the "fly" that she finally committed to. Bam! Fish on! You can bet I was filled with the spirit of A.H.E. Wood and his Red and Blue Shanks.
The hook was black.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:08 AM

Haha thats funny as hell. I would have liked to see the look on the clients face when you shaved the fly bald, and then the look when they hooked the fish.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:23 AM

A black rabbit strip with a black schlappen collar, electric blue flashabou tied on a plastic tube with an orange cone head. Generally speaking they all start at 5 inches and get trimmed to size if needed on the water. Tied in BBG pink works wonders too.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 AM

simplicity - David's Gorilla

It is hard to call this fly tying, but David's Gorilla is a Charlie Brewer Grub glued onto a threaded hook. Fast and simple, has caught Kings, Steelhead, and the expected Warmwater Fish, such as Bass. With the tail, it spins on casting and not the most durable, but it has been effective.

It is a change-up fly, used when other things are not working, but it is my daughter's goto fly.

http://raspberryfisher.wordpress.com...avids-gorilla/

For nymphing, the Insult by Jorgenson has been effective (Peacock hurl wrapped on a hook), I have some added some complications with deer-hair legs and sewing beads.

So this was a simple fly where I have added more, but I have tried to take some flies and make them "less". My Black Nose Dace with a bare hook.

http://raspberryfisher.wordpress.com...ce-minimalist/

Old 05-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Forever Learning

A hackletip feather wing and a head, nothing else, the colour of your choice. Also can use some small bird full feathers instead of hackletip, for example little parrot wing feathers, sparrow feathers, basically everything.

I will try to take some picture of some of these i have in my box later

Rob
Old 05-01-2012, 11:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
Some year I am going to get a shirt that is all different colors and my fly box will be a bunch of bare hooks.. I will cut or rip pieces off the shirt and stab them onto the hook... I bet I'd catch just as many fish that way as by tying flies
Old 05-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Forever Learning

I may be not sofisticated nbor elegant, but it will sure be effective
Old 05-04-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roballen View Post
Some year I am going to get a shirt that is all different colors and my fly box will be a bunch of bare hooks.. I will cut or rip pieces off the shirt and stab them onto the hook... I bet I'd catch just as many fish that way as by tying flies

Some of those "flys" would turn out better then mine at the vise
Old 05-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Internet Scientist

Hey Dec - just curious, was that a wild or hatchery fish?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent_e View Post
I agree with Jin, nice fish!!!

But don't you think it's funny that we have boxes full of flies from intruders to gorgeous classics (none in my box yet) that we tied and keep tying when 20 pieces of deer hair on a hook will catch fish.....I think there is something wrong with us people.
This notion and my experienced last season have seriously affected my fly tying.

I have contemplated this very idea so many times. My success with super-simple patterns last season, along with the fact that I like to carry one small box only- have really limited my creativity at the vise. I have all the flies I'll ever need. I rarely lose them anymore....

I've always been baffled with the concept of confidence affecting your fishing too.... I give so little thought to selecting flies these days. There's so much work to do perfecting line control that fly selection really seems less and less important. A stark contrast to my early days salmon fishing, when I needed to know what fly everyone else was using.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:40 AM

Gastch, what do you say on the miramichi when someone asks you what fly you're using?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB Rob View Post
Gastch, what do you say on the miramichi when someone asks you what fly you're using?
I'm certain you have some special saying your thinking of that does not come to mind right now?
I've heard a few things over the years, some not so pleasent. lol If someone was asking me personally I'd probably say its a secrete or green machine with a white tail. GMWT is my circle of friends is called a "The Truth" A story to be told over a riverside beer sometime Rob.

Last edited by gastch; 05-04-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlecalf View Post
Hey Dec - just curious, was that a wild or hatchery fish?
It was a hatchery fish. A good wild one would have snarfed the original fly on the first pass!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: