LOOP S1 Cross DH - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Rods
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 11:37 AM

Smile LOOP S1 Cross DH

anyone had a chance to test out this rod from LOOP?
I am referring about the 14 foot 9 weight rod.
ny understanding is that it will be available on the market soon.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 01:07 PM
bow river ninja

Send a message via MSN to maxwell
the 7120 is awesome! haven't cast the 9140 yet but there super light rods and I want to get em both forsure!
Old 04-01-2012, 01:07 PM

7 wt 12 ft ll

I have the 12 foot 7 wt (for 3 days) ... dampens down after the forward stroke very nicely and casts amazingly well. I've only cast scandi heads with it in salt water and haven't put a skagit on it yet. Should be no problem. The rod is lightweight and the well finished. Both the 7 and the 9 have the same taper.... medium curve - medium fast action so the 9 should rock also. Hope to test it on the OP in 11 days ... weather permitting. It will be my "windy Deschutes" rod of choice this summer (otherwise I use 6 wts) The rods are available here in the US. PM me if questions.

Steve
Old 04-01-2012, 02:20 PM

I also had tried only 7 wt. Without doubt this rod have widest grain window, very fast recovery and practically no vibrations after. I am not fanatic of skagit ( scandi heads are better for our rivers), but tried 525 short with T14 and made few my longest casts ever. Completely different from all I had before. Only one bad thing is the price...
Old 04-02-2012, 10:35 AM

Fished the 7120 for the last couple of weeks. Very light rod with lots of power. The flex is a mid curve versus the tip curve of the goran series. The butt diametre is actually smaller than the 6120 goran. Great feeling rod, and as others have said the recovery of the blank is amazing.
Cost is an issue as the thing is going to cost $1100 or so in Canada.
Kevin
Old 04-02-2012, 12:31 PM

Question

great replies!
Marius, you said that this rod is differnet than others. What did you mena by that?
how about sink tips? easy to lift?
what shooting head system have you guys used for them?

thanks
Old 04-02-2012, 01:13 PM

The difference is total feel how this rod loads and how releases saved energy. It is difficult to describe because I have not casting problems with other rods I have or had, but if I will get such golf irons, my handicap will go down from present 18 for sure
I tried 450 gr RIO steelhead like it is, then cutted to approx 9 meters and 27g old LTS speedline S1/S2 and longer, approx. 11,5 meters and 31g weight LTS across floating head.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:05 PM

I have the 14ft #9 weight......only had it a week, but it casts a lovely line and has a lovely "feel" to it. Plenty of backbone and still trying different lines.
Have cast the Carron Proline, Zpey shooting heads (37g) and a Rio AFS (42g) all with no problem.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:27 AM

Steve,

Did you get to spend more time with this rod? Any additional thoughts on it?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:23 AM

7 wt

I fished with it on the OP with 3 others and guides with the 7wt 12' cross S1
Superlatives abounded when others tried it. One of my friends plans to get one.

Only skagit lines were used, I loaded it a bit on the heavier end with a 560grain SA Skagit Extreme as it was only 23 feet. I could throw 15 feet of T-14 tips without problem.

I was using SA floating mono Running line cut in half or 75 feet of it ... at a lunch break we started casting across the river. A friend of mine who is a better caster threw all the running line or well over 100' which is quite good for a 12' rod with a 3 inch fly and all.

You can really feel the rod all the way through ... it will load deep with the heavy skagit on it and then on the forward stroke it takes it all and uncoils on the stop with very little vibration ... dampens right out. It is a rod a beginner could feel his cast with, yet an advanced caster could take advantage of the power and dampening inherant in the rod.

I really like the cosmetics and the reel seat is unique.

In short ... made me sell off my winston 7133 ... this is My #1 7 weight - love it .

Can't wait to use it this summer with a scandi line. I'll take it to the SRSC. you can try it if you are there.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:37 PM

I've really enjoyed all my Loop rods and the 7120 has become my new go to rod.
I throw a 540 grain Airflo Skagit Compact with 10 feet of T-14 like its nothing, and the 480 grain Airflo Scandi Compact is absolutely perfect. Like previously mentioned, the rods are very light, but you can also just feel how strong the rod holds up to fish. Its really a lot of fun.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:19 AM

Anyone compared the Loop Cross S1 to the Sage One series? They seem to be described pretty similar... light, not super fast, no vibrations etc.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:36 AM

I have fished the one as well as the method beside the cross s1 and there is no comparison. I recently sold my sages and exclusively fish the cross. Best rod On The market if you ask me.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:07 AM

Had a chance to fish a Loop Cross S1 8132-6 for an hour or so last fall.My first two hander was a loop and I have had a few over the years.This was probably the nicest one I've cast.Only had a Steelhead Scandi 480 on me at the time,but it cast it well.Would love to own one but at $1100.00 it's out of my budget.
Tight Lines
Copsamps
Old 04-06-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipgerrard View Post
I have fished the one as well as the method beside the cross s1 and there is no comparison. I recently sold my sages and exclusively fish the cross. Best rod On The market if you ask me.
what makes it better?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: