"Steelhead Fly Fishing Nez Perce Country: Snake River Tributaries" by Dan Landeen - Page 2 - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Misc > Book Reviews
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Internet Scientist

What is the reason specified (if any) that Dworshak didn't have a fish ladder included? IIRC, the lower Snake River dams didn't get fish ladders because the experts believed that catching and trucking the fish around the dams would be better. (I'm not seeking an argument about the efficacy of ladders/trucking/etc. but rather what was the reason for no ladder for the Dworshak dam - or was it also a trucking experiment that didn't work?).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlecalf View Post
What is the reason specified (if any) that Dworshak didn't have a fish ladder included? IIRC, the lower Snake River dams didn't get fish ladders because the experts believed that catching and trucking the fish around the dams would be better. (I'm not seeking an argument about the efficacy of ladders/trucking/etc. but rather what was the reason for no ladder for the Dworshak dam - or was it also a trucking experiment that didn't work?).
Too tall, reservoir too long. They tried trapping and trucking both directions and it failed miserably. But the height made the ladder a no go. Same with the Hells Canyon complex dams.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Internet Scientist

thanks inland
Old 04-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Junkyard Spey

Yes it's to tall as in it will cost to much money to figure out something that actually does the job.

We can put people on the moon, we can destroy small countries with a couple bombs, we can do all sorts of cool technical crap but we can't get those fish around an inert chuck of concrete.

I never saw the North Fork before that damn dam but Mrs RedShed saw it plenty as a child spending every summer in the woods nearby and what we have now is not even table scraps.

A close friend calls Dworshak dam a "Steelhead Death Barrier". A very fitting name.

How you get the line out and fishing is personal preference so as long as it works and is easy no one should care but the caster. MSB
Old 04-12-2012, 04:10 AM

What good is Dworshak really? Provides a large lake upstream for those who can appreciate it. Does it produce alot of needed power as the PNW sets aside windmill power during high water? As Inland stated, it cut-off the largest (size wise) summer steelhead run in the PNW. If I still lived in Lewiston I'd be a real ass as to why it exists.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:00 PM

Dworshak sucks!!
Old 04-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Junkyard Spey

I've taken these two excerpts from my friend Will Godfrey's great book "The Season of the Steelhead".
Attached Images

How you get the line out and fishing is personal preference so as long as it works and is easy no one should care but the caster. MSB
Old 04-12-2012, 09:26 PM

What we lost with the construction of Dworshak will never be replaced. I often fish some of the tribs to the nf Clearwater near where I live, and there still are remnant populations of wild Rainbow trout there. It hurts me to know that we have lost something so magical. The Clearwater will never recover without the removal of Dworshak Dam. I love that people have the chance to visit here and enjoy what this region has to offer, but people need to understand what we lost. How amazing would it be to see a free flowing Clearwater river! I would love to float the nf and meet the mainstem Clearwater at Ashaka. It breaks my heart to drop down into Freeman Creek State park. You crest the canyon rim and start to decend tward the Nf Clearwater only to be interupted by a flat water impoundment. I could go on and on, but I dont think anyone wants to here my philosofical rants about how we need flowing water and wild places.

Poppy,

I will see you at the Idaho falls show. Travel safe

Kyle
Old 04-12-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camodrifter View Post
I would love to float the nf and meet the mainstem Clearwater at Ashaka. Kyle
The Woodlot would be the best take-out burger place in Idaho, hands down.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:21 PM

Crying Shame

I lived in Orofino many years and fished with some of those old timers that are in that book. I never saw the river as it was but I listened to the stories of those who fished it. I grew to have strong feelings about that river, there's a pull on your insides that will not let go. I believe that I was told they caught some 30lb fish up that North Fork so when you extinguish a run of fish like that it's not only wrong but I feel like it's more a crime against nature. Now I'm not sure there ever was a fish like that in the Clearwater ( maybe someone here knows for sure ) but I have seen pics of some serious brutes. One thing I can tell you is that without people like Keith Stonebreaker and a few others you wouldn't have near what you have now. I don't know Keith well but I do know of his efforts for the fish. The rest of us just bitched about it. So the next time some politician tries to sell you a bottle of snake oil and you feel like some Nazi is telling you to get on the train I hope the hair on the back of your neck goes up.

Last time I talked to Joe Norton he was in New Hampshire.

Sorry, I'm off my box now. I met Poppy this winter " The Dude Rocks "
Old 05-10-2012, 11:51 PM
Pullin' Thread

Poppy,

I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to Will Godfrey this past weekend at the Washington State Fly Fishing Fair where I was doing demo tying (as was Godfrey). We swapped some steelhead stories and I gave him one of my NIGHT DANCER SHRIMPs, which he liked and I'm pretty sure he will be tying and fishing this coming fall. I agree with you, William, and others that Dvorshak being built was a travesty.

Then again, I think the building of Grand Coulee Dam on the Upper Columbia was even more of a tragedy since it wiped out the summer steelhead, coho, chinook, and sockeye in not only in a 100+ miles of the Columbia, it wiped them out of numerous rivers and streams that flow into the Columbia above the dam. Heck, there used to be summer steelhead, coho, chinook, and sockeye in Montana's Kootenai river and its tributaries. These are all gone since Grand Coulee Dam was built for exactly the same reason the NF Clearwater are gone, the dam is too high and the lake pool behind the dam backs up the water for too many miles, which reduces the current to near nothing and prevents anadromous fish from being able to make it to the salt quickly enough to make even trucking them around useless.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: