Adhesive for Sunglasses Repair? - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Tackle
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 06:21 PM

Adhesive for Sunglasses Repair?

Kind of a random question, but I'm hoping someone out there will have an answer. My wife sat on her sunglasses, and snapped them in two at the bridge.

I figure if anyone knows the best adhesive to try to glue them back together, it would be this group. Any suggestions?

The glasses are hard plastic Smith glasses (I though about trying the warranty route, but they say it only covers manufacturing defects and I don't think breaking when sat on is a defect), and the break is pretty clean so I'd have a good gluing surface. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008, 07:18 PM

Location: British Columbia, Canada fishing the West Kootenays mighty Columbia, Dean, and the Clearwater
Before I mucked up the joint too much. I would contact a reputable glasses store and ask. ( they will no doubt try to sell you a pair first, but if so call another store.)

I would guess at a good quality med viscocity gap filling super glue.

I use lots of glues and there is a difference. Go to a GOOD hobby shop and bring the glasses with you, you may even get lucky and the fellow behind the counter will give you a dab. Once they have set, put them away, let them sit in a warm dry environment at least 24 hrs before trying to put them on. If you are impatient and flex the glue joint before it is fully cured it will fracture the bond and they are done for good.

One bit of advise about super glues....don't overdo it....a little goes a LONG ways.

My two cents.

Eumer Tube Fly Prostaff

Nor-Vise Prostaff

Daiichi hooks Prostaff

Airflo Fly lines Prostaff
Old 07-09-2008, 08:13 PM

over years ago I sat on my hard plastic smith glasses and broke a whole ear pieces off right at the hinge and was pissed. Got home used a little zap a gap and it has held since and you could never tell.

Second the little goes a long way comment.

JJ
Old 07-09-2008, 09:01 PM

Unhappy Same Snake Bit Me

as I did sit down on my good polaroids and broke them at the plastic frame between the lenses. Used good, 5 min. epoxy glue on them and they held up for many more fishing outings until my RX changed and I then bought new ones. If you try this here's my approach...cleaned both surfaces to be glued with denatured alcohol(acetone, lacquer thinner, and such will likely eat up and melt your plastic frame) before I applied the epoxy. I held them together until they were set up enough to complete the cure w/out separating. I hope this works for you. Many other ways may work just as well???
Old 07-11-2008, 12:22 AM

Black electrical tape works wonders....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: