Spey Pages banner

2014 Spey O Rama - The World Championship of Spey Casting

28K views 70 replies 27 participants last post by  geoffm 
#1 · (Edited)
#5 ·
Those are some great thoughts about lines, even someone who's just now starting to pay attention to this long-line distance stuff. "Mass Orientation" seems to be my main focus right now, if I undertand correctly what that means - for me it's the taper, i.e. wf, dt, triangle, ... Is that what your alluding to Greg?

Bigger picture question from a potential budding competitor very near the senior group age: What distance does one need to cast to not be a complete waste of time for everyone at SOR (embarassment aside, and don't need to even make it out of qualifictations rounds - just don't want to waste everyone's time)? Thanks.

#6 ·
For the first question think more of how the line would balance out if it were rigid and your trying to find its balance point.
Makes a big difference on how the lone anchors,pulls and loads the rod along with some other effects.

As for what score to strive for.
700's is a good target:saevilw:
More important is what you may learn practicing for and at SOR.

#9 ·
If you look at the qualifying and final scores posted at

http://flyfishingresearch.net/speycasting/speyorama2013.html

You will see that a score of about 595' total for the four casts gets you into the finals. The Men's Seniors division range from 540 to 410.

Given the advances this year in rod and particularly competition line design, I would not be surprised to see the 2014 SOR longest single cast in the 195-200' range.

#10 ·
Getting Serious !!!!

It appears competition for the Senior Division is going to be fierce this year. It's just July, and there is already a line up taking turns to practice at center pond.Talk about horse power! Craig is there with his new Terminator. There are four Bruce and Walkers on the rack, and Burt is testing a new Bruce and Walker Comp rod. All this on a typical, cold, windy foggy San Francisco summer day. Heck, what would happen if a certain gentleman from Washington decided to jump ship and join the seniors?

Attachments

#11 ·
Seniors division

I don't think you will see that happening any time soon! "The machine" is still putting out casts that are shockingly incredible! With the the new nextcast compline it's pretty much off the charts. Senior division, not quite, he's got a few years to go to consider that. That new B&W tournement caster is one sweet rod, I love it.

#12 ·
San Fran

Hi All,
Just got back from the CLA Gamefair in England, huge show as always

http://www.gamefair.co.uk/business

Had a great sunny weekend with lots of people around and great sales of all the new DTX rods and lines but just when it seemed the weekend couldn't get any better.
Scott who hasn't cast the big rod in anger for 7 years decided to have a go at the distance casting for one last time and old time sakes, and with one practice the day before, wins the Speycasting distance title by 5 metres. :Eyecrazy:

What makes this more remarkable was he was doing his demo at the Grandstand then 2 mins later is at the distance casting platform with no practice wins the distance title and Manufacturers title.

Cheers Gordon.
DTX Pro Staff.

http://www.mackenzieflyfishing.com/

#13 ·
Hi All,
Just got back from the CLA Gamefair in England, huge show as always

http://www.gamefair.co.uk/business

Had a great sunny weekend with lots of people around and great sales of all the new DTX rods and lines but just when it seemed the weekend couldn't get any better.
Scott who hasn't cast the big rod in anger for 7 years decided to have a go at the distance casting for one last time and old time sakes, and with one practice the day before, wins the Speycasting distance title by 5 metres. :Eyecrazy:

What makes this more remarkable was he was doing his demo at the Grandstand then 2 mins later is at the distance casting platform with no practice wins the distance title and Manufacturers title.

Cheers Gordon.
DTX Pro Staff.

http://www.mackenzieflyfishing.com/

If you've got it, you've got it !

Just goes to show the class of the man.

#16 ·
You guys are right I should have started a new thread and will do, i should not have cut into the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP OF SPEYCASTING, not sure how Spey O Rama became the world centre for speycasting, when you think its in a concrete bowl in the gay capital of the world, but lets go with it.:hihi:
Cheers Gordon.
DTX Pro Staff.

#19 ·
spey o rama

Never knew that Bulkleyfly,
Not that I spend much time in Vancouver, ...and no smart comments like I should, :chuckle:
Ok back to Spey o Rama before I get shot, I will post a little about the CLA later when I get time on a new thread.

Cheers Gordon.
DTX Pro Staff.

#21 ·
I don't know about Al doing a fly casting class for kids at Spey-O-Rama but he is doing a class for kids @ the Clearwater Spey Gathering on Sept, 28, 2013.

#22 ·
Spey-O-Rama 2014 Dates

Spey-O-Rama 2014 is scheduled to held in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park, at the casting ponds, April 11-13 subject to SF Park and Rec's approval. Such approval is expected in early October. The reason for this somewhat earlier date is that Easter Sunday is April 20th and trout season opens in California on April 26th, 2014. A detailed update on planned enhancements to the even will be posted during September.

#23 ·
Spey-O-Rama 2014 is scheduled to held in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park, at the casting ponds, April 11-13 subject to SF Park and Rec's approval. Such approval is expected in early October. The reason for this somewhat earlier date is that Easter Sunday is April 20th and trout season opens in California on April 26th, 2014. A detailed update on planned enhancements to the even will be posted during September.
Looking forward to it!

#24 ·
Last year was my first year at SOR and had a great time and was looking forward to 2014 but if these dates stay as planned I will not be able to make it due to work, I am keeping my fingers crossed they will change to 18th 19th and 20th of April.

#28 ·
2014 GGACC Pond Cleaning - March 3rd

DATE: Monday March 3
TIME: 7:30 AM - 1:00 PM

Dear GGACC Water Warriors:

Pond cleaning party number V is scheduled for Monday March 3, 2014. Please join us for a day of work, fun and fine food.

We need 30 firm volunteers to sweep, squeegee, shovel, wheelbarrow, and (FUN) handle a genuine SFFD water nozzle to blast clean our ponds, while we assist SF Rec and Park Department's crew in the annual pond clean up.

Starting time is 7:30 AM (coffee and rolls will be served). Finish is normally 1 PM with a superior quality lunch for all Water Warriors and our SF Rec and Park Department comrades.

Bob Pauli
707 322 3583
Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club
Sludge Committee Chairman

#30 ·
Great news friends. Your job is a very important event. Each year, with the world's best men vmego Spey come to visit you. This is the best place in the world for the trenirovoki competition. Thank you so much for your work!! If you find a gold ring with a diamond 8 carats, write:) I lost last year:)

#31 · (Edited)
* * * * Attention Spey-O-Rama Competitors * * * *

Middle Pond Cleaning - Will be Waterless for 3 Weeks

The GGACC Middle Pond will be drained on Friday February 28th - for cleaning and repairs - and will not be re-filled until Monday March 17th..

I do not have absolute confirmation of this fact yet, but this appears to be a "solid rumor". Assume it is true. Please plan your travel schedules accordingly and/or plan to do your practice casting in the deep pond (unless someone tells me that's going to be drained too!!)

#32 ·
Flights booked and got 7 days sponsored paid leave from our BOM, casting ponds here I come :D:D in April.
Question, is the Sealrock Inn the nearest place to the ponds? as I did have to walk a few times to the ponds last year and them hills are a bit steep :eek:.
See ye all on the 4th of April.

#34 ·
* * * pond cleaning update * * *

The Word from The Head Water Warrior, Bob Pauli:

"The ponds will begin draining Friday evening, Feb 28. Water Warrior V pond cleaning takes place March 3, followed by repairs. Refilling will take place beginning March 14. I believe the ponds should be available by March 17.

[However,] I would not recommend making an airline reservation that is non-refundable based on these dates."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.