Spey Pages banner

Spey Rod on Limited Budget

11K views 25 replies 23 participants last post by  speyday 
#1 ·
I am looking for a spey rod to use on Lake Erie tribs (Grand in Ohio and Cattaraugus in NY) as well as for trips to BC and AK for steelhead and salmon. At this point my budget doesnt support high end rods (approx $300 for a rod). Also I am fairly new to spey casting, so I don't believe it makes a lot of sense to buy a high-end rod right off the bat. Any advice for a good all-around spey in the $300 range. Perhaps a 12-13 ft 8wt? I appreciate any advice thats available.

#3 ·
You may wish to check out the Echo and Echo2 rods also. They are in your price range, are good value, cast well, come with two tips, and have a lifetime warranty.

Regards,

#5 ·
I agree the TFO and Echo Classic rods are excellent choices. If you can find a test drive on your local waters take it. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.
If you can't find a test drive locally let me know and I'll send you an outfit to try. It is possible to have a pretty nice outfit complete for $400.00usd.

#6 ·
You don't hear a lot about them on this site, but I would reccomend you look at the Orvis rods. The 12'6 #7 and 13'6 #8 are very nice casting rods at a great price.

If you go to the rod reviews that Dana has done there is a review of one of the rods. It is an older much more expensive model, but the taper of the rod and casting characteristic are very similair. They have taken away many of the cosmetic features and now it is a very nicely priced workhorse.

I have the Trident that Dana reviews and although I have very nice (and expensive) Loomis and T+T rods, I still find myself fishing the orvis.

Gillie

#7 ·
Echo Rod Endorsement

I echo :)rolleyes: sorry, had to do it) halcyon and Poppy regarding the Echo Classic rods. I bought the 13'6" #8/9 this summer as a "back-up" and found myself fishing it more than my Scott this fall. Great casting rod and nicely finished for the price.

#10 ·
Thanks very much for all the advice on the spey rods. As soon as the weather improves a bit here in Pennsylvania I'll try and find some of these rods at local shops to demo. I'll also reach out to MJC on his test drive offer. I am eager to try the models that you have suggested.

I would like to offer one point of consideration to anyone considering a TFO rod. Lefty Kreh has endorsed TFO products, and he is also a member of the Spring Ridge Club. The SRC is a for-profit enterprise created by Donny Beaver, and the business model of the SRC is the privatization of trout and steelhead water. Prime central-PA trout water and Erie steelhead water has been removed from public access by Donny Beaver's pay-to-fish operation. (Note that Erie steelhead is a 95% stocked fishery that is funded by license sales to the public) If you enjoy fishing public waters and and are opposed to privatization efforts such as the SRC I would ask you to second guess supporting anyone, including Lefty Kreh, that is associated with businesses such as the SRC.

#11 ·
I would like to offer one point of consideration to anyone considering a TFO rod. Lefty Kreh has endorsed TFO products, and he is also a member of the Spring Ridge Club. The SRC is a for-profit enterprise created by Donny Beaver, and the business model of the SRC is the privatization of trout and steelhead water. Prime central-PA trout water and Erie steelhead water has been removed from public access by Donny Beaver's pay-to-fish operation. (Note that Erie steelhead is a 95% stocked fishery that is funded by license sales to the public) If you enjoy fishing public waters and and are opposed to privatization efforts such as the SRC I would ask you to second guess supporting anyone, including Lefty Kreh, that is associated with businesses such as the SRC.

If you have objections to buying a rod connected with Mr. Kreh find an Echo dealer and test drives those rods. They are in the same price range, are easy casting 4 piece medium action rods that look great and are backed by a warranty that is every bit as good as the TFO.

#14 ·
Ratschan, I've used different kinds of Kola-Salmon rods & rods other manufacturers. I've stronger belive its the best value choice in low range price, because its light, durable and realy able to send fly faraway. And the most anglers on Kolsky Peninsula committed Kola-Salmon rods & reels.

#16 ·
I just picked up a cabelas traditional 13' 7/8 weight for $100 through cabelas spring sale. It even came with a nice rod tube/bag. I am still in awe of the deal. It's all the rod I need with my limited casting skills. I am used to the older st. croix imperials, and this one seems a bit faster, but still a nice casting rod.

I matched it with a 7/8 midspey floater I got on sale for $31.00 and a Scientific anglers 10/11 system two I got on a half off sale locally for $90.00 I've got less than $250 in this set up and couldn't be happier, I could slam it in car door and not even flinch or bat an eye.

I may not turn heads in the flash and awe department, but when you are the sole breadwinner, and have three mouths to feed, you have to make due.

Aaron

#17 ·
I have a Loop Yellow 8124 for my fall AK stick that I recently went heavier with (600 grain skagit compact). It now casts long and often. I've caught AK steel, salmon and big rainbow on it with ease. You can often find a Loop Yellow stick for under $200 easy. Let me know if you find an extra 9132 or 9140... Best of luck.

#18 ·
Really

For only $329 the GUIDELINE ACT4 12'6 8/9 is going to surprise you with its 'big$" performance on a moderate price point. You can try one at Speynation

#19 · (Edited)
Another vote for Echo Classic and DECO

I own the Echo Classic and DECHO both in the 6126 size. I love these rods. My first two spey rods were Sages and I do not feel the least bit "compromised" with the Echo Classic and DECHO, in fact I am very pleased and impressed with these rods. They are my main rods for late spring/summer/fall.

Grace and Peace,
Todd

#22 ·
Like Ol Rich said, two fine gentlemen I've know for years designed the TFO Deer Creek Series 2-handers and neither is associatied with Lefty Krey, nor are their rod designs. It would be nice if you checked your facts before posting something that is so blatently incorrect about the TFO Deer Creek Series rods.

#23 ·
easy now

Chill out flytyer, he really only stated his opinion and didn't push it on anyone else. He did not once mention deer creek rods or your friends, just TFO rods in general. I think the TFO rods are good rods and the deer creek series are great. I have an echo classis 8/9 which is a great rod for an even greater price.
I don't mean to get anyone upset, just my .02.

#24 ·
Hey everyone,

FYI, this old thread was dormant from January 31, 2007, until a few days ago. So, the request for recommendations, and the inflamatory remarks, are water under the bridge.

Everyone take a deep breath and go back to your regularly scheduled programming. ;)

Best regards,

Dave Fulton

#25 ·
redington

check out rs4 or cpx. I had a redington rs3 13-3 7wt. broke the tip they don't make the rs3 anymore they sent a new rs4 13-3 7 wt. just love it fantastic action. last summer i used my 6wt sage. this year since i got the rs4 tried it out opening of trout season have caught all the way from 8" smolt to 22" 5lb deschuttes redsides on it the action is just great. like it better than my 5 wt. 12-6 sage. Can't waite to ty into steel when get the deschuttes. GOOD FISHIGNG KEN THE STEELHEAD JUNKIE:) :) :) :)

#26 ·
Save $$$$

Whatever you do. When you get your candidate rod models, length and grain thought out.................BUY USED. Buy from the speypages classifieds!

I have a horrible habit of buying a new rod, trying it out, and selling them.
Yes........I know that I can get my hands on demos.

There are SO many rods moving around here and on other steelhead forums that you would be wise to shop your choices based on that. OR, go so far as to put up a "WTB: Small erie spey rod". The responses will pour in, and you'll get a good deal. If its not the right rod, at least you aren't gonna take a huge $$ hit on it.

that said......a 12 1/2 to 13 1/2 ft 7 wt that throws a floating short belly with some tips is a really good start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.