Spey Pages banner

Click and Pawl for a switch rod

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Fishing Viking 
#1 ·
Just curious about size suggestions for a Hardy (or Hardy type) clicker reel for my 11ft 8wt z axis switch which will have a 500-525 skagit short on it. What size reel do I need to hold all of that and about 100 yards of backing? Any suggestions on specific reels without completely destroying the bank?

Rich

#3 ·
for myself ,

i use on my meiser switch rods the older 3 screw leaded finish st john reels ,3 7/8 in size , can pick them for a steal if you keep a eye out for them , i think they the best deal right now on any hardy to be had with click & pawl , they also looks good when worn and even better i like the st john in a durel finish , but they will run you about 700 plus for a mint one as pretty rare , i still they worth it ,

the st john reel will hold your line and 100 yards i think easy , i use a 400 grain skagit with running line and about 200 yards backing on it ,

your going to love the sound on a good fish

#4 ·
Dutch has it right on the St. John as being the bargain out there. The Salmon I or Salmon II will be plenty of spool for line and backing. I had one St. Andrew over the years and this would be a dandy also but they are rare and 350 - 450 for a nice one would be about right.

Of the group mentioned the St John has the loudest report when a fish strips line from the spool. Startling on the first run but you grow used to it quickly.

Ard

#7 ·
All great suggestions, the Marquis and St. John reels can be found for very reasonable prices and are great reels. You could have a look at the larger Golden Prince models as well. With the exposed rim it's a bit like a wide drum version of the Marquis' and they can be found relatively cheap as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.