Spey Pages banner

What rod for the Clearwater?

17K views 51 replies 33 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
I plan to make a trip to the Clearwater river this year to cure my 13yr. itch of not catching steelhead! I just recently found out I could get them only 700 miles from here in Wyoming and since I started to spey cast for very large trout here on the Wind/Big Horn all I could think of is STEELIES soooo here goes!

What rod? I am close to pulling the trigger on a Scott 1509 ARC and I think that would fill the bill but I need some other opinions. Is that too much rod? I plan just to go there and storm the banks in the fall and after all the intensive research I`ve done I think it`ll work. I got an Echo 10107 SR that I could use in the summer if I cant wait (scout trip!) cause it sounds like you fish"in the brush" so an I set with the ARC?

#2 ·
Lots of rods that will fit that bill. My personal choice would be the Burkheimer 8152. If I were you I would call Poppy at the Red Shed, I'm sure he could fill you in on the favorite rods for the area. His shop is about a quarter mile from the Clearwater, so he has the most first hand knowledge.

#3 ·
There are all manner of rods used to fish for steelhead on the Clearwater in Idaho. They range from 10'-6wts to 18'-11wts.

With the above being said for the summer/fall fishing here, there are a great many very experienced long time Clearwater anglers that favor 15'-8wt or 9wt rods using a floating line with a head of 55' to 75', and a mono leader as long as the rod or thereabouts.

Do you need a 15 footer to successfully fish here? No, but after fishing here with something smaller you might want one.

#7 ·
Do you need a 15 footer to successfully fish here? No, but after fishing here with something smaller you might want one.
Oh so true. The last time I fished the Clearwater and the Snake was 10 years ago and I did it with a 9'6" 7wt. On that trip I watched many guys fishing two handed rods. It looked so effortless while what I was doing felt so futile. I came back from that trip and vowed I would obtain and learn to cast a double handed rod. Never looked back.

#9 · (Edited)
I have fished there 3 times ...once with a Sage deathstar 7 wgt....then once with 6 wgt switch and last year with a Sage ONE spey 5 wgt[shortest one]. I would not think of taking anything bigger than the ONE unless I had something new and wanted to dial it in for one segment. I am there at Red Shed Clave time

edit....I should add to this the fact that I am willing to miss some fish with my choices...it does not always mater to me...I like to shoot line...some don't ...I think I often fish too long of a line, and shorter rod holds that back...I maybe also prefer to make things a bit harder...I,E., I hunt with a bow,also!! Last year I spent a lot of days in 35-40 degree pouring down rain looking for one particular rosevelt bull elk in the olympic rain forest....no, I did not get it or see it and already keeping track of movements of three monsters for next yr.

#30 ·
I have fished there 3 times ...once with a Sage deathstar 7 wgt....then once with 6 wgt switch and last year with a Sage ONE spey 5 wgt[shortest one]. I would not think of taking anything bigger than the ONE unless I had something new and wanted to dial it in for one segment. I am there at Red Shed Clave time

Back on topic-
Really? This is poor advice at best-
A 5 wt for the Clear in the early fall for fish that can run 20+ pounds?

They have just travled some 600+ miles to get here, and you are going to fight them on a trout rod?
Why? I'm Curious...

#12 ·
The particular river you speak about is two different rivers-
The river from july to the third week in september is totally different from the river after this time period. If you don't fish it as such, you will be missing some things that would help in your success ;) . I still feel for me a 14' 8/9 is the best all around rod for all seasons here if you can only have one, but that's just another guys opinion on the web... Anything less than a 7wt is a disservice to a b-run fish, especially early in the season, no matter how skilled a guy thinks he is- I don't believe there are rods too big for here, but there are definitely rods to small for here...
I also gear fish a little when I get bored of swing'n flies, and release some hatchery fish, so you probably shouldn't listen to me anyways :D:chuckle:

#13 ·
What rod

There are runs and tailouts on the Clearwater (and nearby Snake) where a 20 ft. rod and a 100 ft. head long belly line would in no way be overkill, and plenty of other spots where a 12 ft. rod and compact Skagit head would be just the ticket. However, that being said, on the Clearwater and Snake (which I fish every fall for weeks at a time) I normally fish rods from 14 ft. to 16 ft., and lines from 8/9 to 11/12. Nothing shorter or lighter. If I had to limit myself to just one rod to fish either or both rivers, it would likely be a 15 ft. 9/10 or 10/11, but then, I like long rods and long lines, and like to fish rivers where they make sense and are useful. The Scott 1509 ARC (assuming you can cast and fish it effectively) would be near perfect, in my opinion.

#14 ·
So, I have to ask because I truly don’t understand...What makes the Clearwater more apt to be fished well with a 14+foot rod and traditional lines as opposed to 13footers and scandis? What makes it different than the Deschutes, or Bulkley, or Umpqua(main)? Is it a mending-reach over shelves issue?

#15 · (Edited)
I have never seen the Bulkley or the Umpqua main but I have seen a good angler with an open mind fish the Deschutes very effectively using an 17' rod lined with an 85' Carron. Yes we had a great guide that also had an open mind and let us fish the way we wanted.

The fact that the "D" isn't routinely fished with long rods and long lines doesn't mean it's not possible.

#16 ·
The fact that the "D" isn't routinely fished with long rods and long lines doesn't mean it's not possible.
True dat, and also doesn't mean the the D could not be fished more effectively in places with a long rod contrary to the beliefs of the drum beaters...
:D

#19 ·
Yes, I couldn’t agree more that fishing what you like is primary, but that wasn’t my question. I simply inquired why a longer, heavier rod with long bellies might be a better tool than a shorter one, i.e.; what water conditions, presentation etc might be advantageous for that particular river? My intent was to gather information regarding using a different tool than I am used to for a situation I might not be recognizing. Isn’t that what this forum is about? Gleaning information, details that might add to your enjoyment and knowledge of this sport? What makes me close minded asking this? Lately it seems that so many legitimate questions presented on this board are immediately met with various levels of vitriol. It saddens me.

#24 ·
Okay.

So, my answer to this question would be that FOR ME, I am quite comfortable fishing a 13'6" rod on the NU with a long belly line because I find it easier to control the drift of the fly in the slots that one fishes there.

In regard to the Bulkley and the Clearwater, given that FOR ME an optimum fishing cast is about 100 feet, I find it less tiring and easier to cast a long line of a long rod. On the Clearwater, I generally use a 17 foot rod and the Bulkley a 17 or 18.

For me, it comes down to ease of line control.

I have nothing against those who use Skagit set ups, but I learned to fish Spey with a double taper and find a long belly easiest to use for most of the fishing I do.

Again, I qualify this by saying it works FOR ME as does the single hand rod I use for winter fishing.

JB

#22 ·
Cach,

I haven't fished the D or N.U. nearly as much as I have the CW. Only a few days on the Bulkley so I will leave that out as a comparison. Apples and oranges.

You would need to see the river and come to understand where its fish hold in a large portion of the water. Do you need the longer rod? Nope.

I spent the better part of my first 8 seasons fishing there with 13'6" 7 wts, going shorter and shorter and lighter.

Since then I have put in ten seasons fishing 15'+ rods rated 9/10/11/12. Often trying out anything and everything...just to keep current.

Fish what you find most enjoyable.

William

#23 ·
Thanks for all the advice, seems to me the CW is a larger river and not stripping 40+ feet of running line to get "outthere" is the way to go. Lots of people are gonna look at me funny while I`m practicing w/ a 15' spey rod on the Big Horn but if I get it down right with all my freinds on that Rio spey vid I got I`ll be casting a longbelly and who knows, maybee I`ll shoot that 40+ feet too... I`m still petty "green" at spey casting so 15' sounds like a good start casting real distance. Be`in so far from steel water I cant justify get`in lots of rods to chase`em down but a 1367 down the road is always possible:roll: Might work better on that Salmon river too:D

#25 ·
What makes me close minded asking this? Lately it seems that so many legitimate questions presented on this board are immediately met with various levels of vitriol. It saddens me.
Cachanded, No where did anyone state that "you" were closed minded. My reference to being an open minded angler had zero to do with you. There was no vitriol sent your way. I merely stated my opinion same as everyone else is entitled to here.

You referenced the "D" and the prevailing mantra for fishing there seems to be short rods and short heads, so much so in fact that anything over 13' will be ragged on as not suitable by the majority of guides and anglers fishing there. An angler with an open mind may just find a lot of happiness fishing the "D" with something bigger and longer.

That 13' rod with a scandi will work just fine on the Clearwater but some anglers find it is just more work.

#28 ·
Is that the English "Bonk, bonk, bonk?"
:hihi::hihi::hihi:

JB
Yup, or Johnathan, we could go with the Sweedish version, NORK NORK NORK !!!!

#32 · (Edited)
fishmhard,

First...I never said I was advising others..I am saying what I have used and would continue to us!

I have not touched anything that large in that river...just small ones....and I think that is probably going to be the vast majority.So, I fish with equipment suited for them[the majority] and its more fun. If I hooked one that was too much for me..whats the difference...I would just break it off when that was reality! { I have only broken off one fish... as it rapidly went around the corner of bill's run...unfortunately, I was stuck way back on other side of river with no way to follow and a few hundred yards of line peeling off rapidly]. No big deal...a larger gun would have not made a difference. I would not stress a fish...landing it is less important than it's health.The bigest fish I ever caught was about 44" and next biggest was 42"[ guide measured]. I never touched them...sent large one on it's way to the Dean Canyon with plenty of strength...just wiggiled my rod tip and shook it off after we viewed it for a few moments..whats the point? I like to get large fish,but I don't want to use heavy equipment for low odds of a large fish. I have caught many large fish[the smallest that week out of abt 20+ was 15lb and rest were 18-24lb..and then the two big ones] and I am way more careful about them and their journey! By the way, all those large fish mentioned were on Dec Hogan 8 weight that was just fine!... and I may as well put in a plug for my friends of many years...the Blackwells Dean river lodge! Andrew you said you were full ,so it won't hurt you!

#33 ·
I've only had the chance to fish the Clearwater a couple of times but thought is was a wonderful River. I love long rods and lines so for me it's a great place to fish a 16'er with a long belly line. With manufacturers producing long/light sticks you can fish a long stick and not be totally over gunning the fish.

#34 ·
There was a TFO Deer Creek 14' 7/8 rod in the classified for very reasonable. I fish that rod and really like it. For the $ that rod would be hard to beat.
My first Clearwater rod was a 13'6" 8/9 deer creek, throwing a 630 to 650 skagit line. It worked great but seemed to be overkill to me when fighting the fish. I have not fished a 15' rod but could see where one with a mid to long belly would be a great tool. If I fished there many days a year like some on this board, I would own one. If I lived quite a ways a way and only fished a few days a year I would look for a 13-14' rod that would cast a Skagit in the 500-600 range and a scandi in the 500-550 range, and comparable mid to longer floating lines. I think these rods would be much more versatile when you fish other rivers. I fished the Hood and Sandy Rivers and felt my 14' rod was overkill. It was to long in places to fish effectively.

And if you are really looking to catch fish, I would consider another river. The Clearwater is a great water but not known for giving up a lot of fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.