Spey Pages banner

How simple can you go....

8K views 43 replies 31 participants last post by  Dec Hogan 
#1 ·
....and yet still have an effective fly??

We all see here the beautiful complexity of tied flies, and for those of us who tie their own, we often strive to combine colours & materials to achieve profiles of our flies, shanks & tubes which we feel will both look appealing to ourselves, and will swim well and attract fish.

But taking a minimalist approach in terms of use of materials and colours, and given that all flies & tubes must be tied on a substrate (hook, shank or tube), and tied together with thread, and varnished for security, what has been the minimum you have used and found to be effective in any type of tie?

Descriptions would be good, & pictures of such ties a real bonus ;)

Mike

#36 ·
A hackletip feather wing and a head, nothing else, the colour of your choice. Also can use some small bird full feathers instead of hackletip, for example little parrot wing feathers, sparrow feathers, basically everything.

I will try to take some picture of some of these i have in my box later

Rob

#37 ·
Some year I am going to get a shirt that is all different colors and my fly box will be a bunch of bare hooks.. I will cut or rip pieces off the shirt and stab them onto the hook... I bet I'd catch just as many fish that way as by tying flies

#43 · (Edited)
I'm certain you have some special saying your thinking of that does not come to mind right now?
I've heard a few things over the years, some not so pleasent. lol If someone was asking me personally I'd probably say its a secrete or green machine with a white tail. GMWT is my circle of friends is called a "The Truth" A story to be told over a riverside beer sometime Rob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.