Spey Pages banner

SA Sharkskin

5K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Fullerfly 
#1 ·
Anybody messed with the SA Sharkskin spey line? Whats up with it?

Mark

#3 ·
Justify

It's hard to justify $99, when simple alternatives such as Airflo's ridges lines for trout can do the work, or Ridged running line for fly line heads.

But, there's always the 'Early Adopter' crowd (much like I-phone buyers the first month it came out) that would plunk this money down to taste something new.

Are you an Early Adopter?

#4 ·
An early adopter...

Yes! I just recently bought one for my 5wt, after spending a good amount of time casting it on the grass though. I thought the noise would be annoying, but haven't found it to be after spending some time with it and on a river I doubt that you'll even notice it.

It shoots great and it supposed to last longer. We'll see on that. It also float very, very well. I've used the Ridgeline on the same rod, fishing the Bitterroot last year and it's a great option. It doesn't float as high though.

I've also used other premium lines on my TFO Pro 5wt, such as the SA GPX, SA Ultra IV and Rio Grand. All are decent, but the Ridgeline and Sharkslin are even nicer in my opinion.

#5 ·
Scales

They said the micro scales on the line elicit micro eddies, a sound signature similar to bait fish.

I have heard Bass pros have underwater speakers to create bait fish noise, bringing in the predators.

This must be the fly fishing- although passive and lo tech- version that's giving the Bass pros the mental finger for keeping up with them.

(Only kidding).

On a serious tone, does the micro scales reduce line stick and make it float higher? That's one of many SA's claims.

#8 ·
Pain

Any line that needs me to wear finger protection needs me to think twice about useing it and the technology. The design is OK but the functionality of it really doesn't impress me. During the Mid Nineties and early 2000's we played with many lines useing braided running lines that sound about the same and do about the same thing to my fingers...causeing me to wear protection on the stripping fingers,because of sheer need...not as a precaution. For Beach Fishing ( Salt Water) finger protection will be obvious.
I suppose too that if you are only playing smallish fish then constantly holding the line won't be an issue...the noise is a much less important issue to me..IMO
C

#12 ·
Ah yes, the pain in stripping their running lines.

Any line that needs me to wear finger protection needs me to think twice about useing it and the technology. The design is OK but the functionality of it really doesn't impress me. During the Mid Nineties and early 2000's we played with many lines useing braided running lines that sound about the same and do about the same thing to my fingers...causeing me to wear protection on the stripping fingers,because of sheer need...not as a precaution. For Beach Fishing ( Salt Water) finger protection will be obvious.
I suppose too that if you are only playing smallish fish then constantly holding the line won't be an issue...the noise is a much less important issue to me..IMO
C
I'm test driving a couple of their shooting lines, and they perform better than any shooting line, I have ever used. However, I learned very quickly to wear my combo sunblocker/striping gloves. With the rods and lines I have used these protos on, I'm getting anywhere from 1 to 3 rods extra lengths of shooting line on my casts with less operator errors than with the Ridge and Rio Shooting lines.

My doctor and wife, his office RN, demand that I use the solar gloves. So it isn't a big issue to wear the gloves, and that keeps them happy.:cool:

#9 ·
yesterday we tried a sharkskin 10wt salt line on a T&T h29010. the three of us who cast it were not impressed. the finish or the noise did not bother me in the least but the line was hard to get going with a good tight loop with high line speed without getting a big shock wave in the line. it felt soft and the taper felt very un-agressive. it may have just been a poor match but a 10 wt salt line on a 10 wt salt rod should rock. we tried another line i won't mention and it flew off the rod with half the effort. no welded loop on the front was a bit puzzeling too. just my only experience with the sharkskin lines. the problem seemed to be more taper than anything else.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sharkskin review

Just coming off a week's fishing in Gaspe with my wife. I spooled up a WF8F Sharkskin in the "Ultimate Trout Taper", thinking I'd give it a try while my wife used a WF7F Sage Performance taper. Well, I had to fish the 7wt all week since I couldn't pry the 8-wt Sharkskin away from my wife. She was always a decent caster, but did much better than before with the Sharkskin. I got to try it a few times when we were doing a wet/dry change-up or something, and found it a great shooter and floater. It also mends very easily too.The sound does take some getting used to, but has been tested and found to be LESS wearing on the rod guides.

cheers,Ian.

#13 ·
Sharkskin line

Our Fishing group used the Sharkskin saltwater lines this last May in the Keys. Not only was I was really impressed with the 11 wt. line, but so were all the guides that tried it. I think the sharkskin in the SA classic taper spey line will be a great line and I will no doubt be an early a adopter.
Terry

#14 ·
I will echo what Terry posted. I have cast an 11wt saltwater on my Beulah 10/11wt Bluewater saltwater rod and it is awesome. Unload the whole line in two easy strokes, and great accuracy. It is amazing on how this line shoots. The noise does not bother me, but 30 years of flying airplanes I don't hear to good anymore. I wear sungloves and stripping guards as I have had a round of cancer on the back of my hands. I will be taking this rod/line combo to Belize this November and can report back after that as I don't fish the "big gun" up here much during the summer.

I too am curious about how the Sharkskin spey lines would be, but at the price do not feel like experimenting around too much. I hope that some of the community gets out there and passes on some feedback on the spey lines too.

#15 ·
I purchased a 6wt Sharkskin for a 6wt TCR. If I had to do it over again I would have stepped up to a 7wt; the line does not load well at intermediate distances. Best shooting line I have fished. With that said, I have some serious concerns about the durability of the lines, particularly the loop heads. I don't know what caused it, but the first time I fished the line the loop snapped off. After getting a replacement line from SA, and fishing that line, I noticed small nicks in the line around the transition from head to the loop as though it were going to snap off again.

#17 ·
I haven't messed with these lines too much on a spey rod yet. I have them on all my single handers....and yes they seem to hurt tender hands not weathered by large fish and screaming reels. As for the noise, I would rather hear the line noise than listen to people ***** about the noise. Do you think the fish care what the frickin line sounds like? Has anyone ever been saltwater fishing with a monic line....do any of those people ***** about the line noise? If there is running water moving between your legs can you hear the line that well?......only kidding the line hurts like hell and is noisy.

However, It is the best performing line on the market hands down for a single hander. As for it's spey application, I don't see this design working very well. The line does not stick to the water hardly at all. I could see this line more in a shooting line aspect than actually being a part of the head.

Mending is phenomonal, shooting is great. "Stickyness" not so great. I would be interested to see what S.A. comes up with for a spey line. I love these lines. A lot of people don't like the line because of the "noise."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.