Spey Pages banner

Welded Loops Updated

6K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  peter-s-c 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Hi Peter, I have long been a scandi fan and followed your hooked4life for years. Your new instructions on welded loops is the best I have ever seen. I spend several hours a day custom welding lines for Meiser and Anderson, you understand and explain the process extremely well, I appreciate that you have shared it. Hope we can meet some day. stevegodhall@charter.net

#13 ·
I'm glad that retirement has not spoiled you and you still fish on weekends like the rest of us poor working stiffs :hihi:

Mike
Hey, every once in a while ya just have to go slummin' with the plebes. ;)

Next one is up on connecting running lines:

http://www.hooked4life.ca/welding/connect_lines/connect_lines.html

Three more in the pipeline:

• making a butt end loop
  • welding a tip loop in T material
  • joining T material to fly line

Should be done by Wednesday unless I have to go fishing . . .

#17 ·
Making a fully integrated line

Thanks for all the videos Peter.

Question: to build a fully integrated line from a separate running line and separate head would one simply create the loop to butt for the head from "Making a Butt End Loop" and a loop in a running line from "Welding a Tip Loop" then connect both loops as per your "Connecting running lines" video?

Preston

#18 ·
Yes, that method would work, however there is a simpler one. In the Skagit set video, I show a tip that has T8 welded to both sides. Basically it's a tip loop that's about 3" long and cut at its apex. The two strands are then welded to the sides of the main line like a butt end loop.

If I haven't explained that well enough, I'll try and dig up some of my old fly line blog pictures that show it well.

I've built lines using this method and it holds up very well.

#19 ·
I watched the skagit set video and it makes complete sense Peter. Thanks. Just figured what I was describing would be less prone to malfunction, but it sounds like the 3" loop cut and doubled on the adjoining line is pretty darn strong.

Cheers,
Preston

#21 ·
Peter, Just wanted to reiterate my appreciation for your efforts. Threads on this forum can range from the humorous to the tragic. Every now and then there is a great one that offers a dramatic positive impact on my fishing skill set. Your seven videos fall into the later class and have helped a lot.

Thanks,
sixheads

#23 ·
Been a fan of Peter's scandi work and "casting weight" for years, six heads is right on. So impressed with the video's I wish to share a welding secret with members that are following this thread. "double to avoid trouble" By doubling the shrink tube, one inside the other before you weld, you will more evenly spread the heat and increase the compression in the molding process. Discovered this a year ago when working on a difficult line project, it saved me. I now use it most of the time, just makes it go better for only nickles a weld. This will greatly improve welds with guns that are too hot. I basically do the same welds that Peter demonstrates, fold back (standard loop), horse shoe, wish bone and chain link. What you can do with this process is unlimited, give it a try. steve

#28 · (Edited)
The temp to create the weld is very important and a gun with a stable and low adjustable range is best. I have a Makita that works well @$125 msrp but I have found another that is better for about $40 mail order supplier. I have sent my last gun to Peter to try, wait for his test and he can then post the supplier if it works well for him. The double shrink will help the his gun in the pics greatly and it can be found at Harbor Freight, $10 on sale at times. MOST 2 speed guns are TOO hot and do not work well. spg

#31 ·
One of the major milestones in the progression of my welding skills was getting one of Steve's heat guns, it made a world of difference. I've also been using a piece of soapstone (wood stove project) as a heat sink to modulate temps when rolling my welds, seems to help.

Thanks again Peter and Steve, keep it coming!!

sixheads

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.