Spey Pages banner

Lining the Deer Creek 5/6

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Blue Devil 
#1 ·
Hi Guys: I'm about to get my hands on the Deer Creek 12'6" 5/6. I know a couple of you have suggested lines for this stick, but I'm hoping this thread will generate some more comments and get all the line suggestions in one place. I'll be looking for the proper grain Skagit head as well as a dry line, and expect to use the rod for streamer fles for trout as well as smaller steelhead in mid-sized rivers like the Grande Ronde. Thanks in advance, Keith

#4 ·
Blue Devil,

Got a few minutes here.

When Mike and I were benchmarking the Deer Creek tapers in their development, we used a lot of line systems to define a grain window of efficient delivery for each rod.

The 12656 and the 15089 Deer Creek rods are actually very similar to our Highlanders in taper; slightly less in speed of recovery, progressive overall.

The 13078,13689, and the 140910 Deer Creek rods lend more towards the MKS tapers <> But again ... Slightly less in net speed of recovery, progressive overall.

The 12656 Deer Creek is a bit of a sleeper as she does have a rather large grain window for a rod of this length, so all line families will work well on her ...

... Depends on how far you as a caster want to creak the cork with grainage of these various line families.

I have fished this rod quite a bit now, and have come to favor a couple of line systems <> But keep in mind this is just me ...};^)...!!!

The CND GP 5/6 (432 grains) is a woderful line on this rod for grease lining.

I prefer to cast off the tip and stop high and crisp to tigthen up the loop to acheive my desired distances with this line ... 80 to 90 feet is really no worries if needed, yet can be fished 50 to 70 feet just as well.

A great line on this rod for this fishing application.

One can also consider looping on the 14' Salmon/Steelhead Airflo poly leaders (45 grains +-) onto the fore end loop of the 6/7 CND (432 grains minus the floating tip) to create a fine IT system for grease lining with this shorter rod.

If short belly shooting heads with tips (Skagits) are desired, or needed <> I personally prefer the Airflo 6/7 Skagit head (440 grains)

The front taper of this head lays out really sweet, a tad longer then the Rios, and lends towards a lot of diversity of tips.

I'll often put a 15' WC 95 grain tips of any desired sink rate looped direct to this head ...

... Or loop on the floating tip (to extend the front taper) and add Poly Leaders of the correct length and sink rate to meet conditions.

Turns this line then into a super IT greaseliner for tight quarters when frontal anchors are needed.

You also have the option of using various running lines looped to the aft end of this head.

Of course Scandi style running lines are perfect with this line for quarter down swing, or for two handed overhead if desired.

... But another approach to consider is to loop on a level 8 wt floating fly line as the running line.

The inherent mass of this line will allow easy quarter up, or in route stack mending the drift for high stick or Indy nymphing ... Allowing stack mends 15' plus beyond the net length of the head and the 15' WC floating tip.

This opens up a lot more "drift" in the seam or through the bucket that the bite can be felt (with the high stick)or detected (with the Indy) ...

... And perfect for applying "Trouting" techniques while pursuing any riverborne game fish.

A pretty cool system to consider for the shorter sticks.

Meiz

#5 ·
Always great to hear from you, Poppy, but what exactly was it that you said? Something didn't get through. Keith
It all got through just fine. I said nothing, but my thought was "there already is a thread listing several great lines for the littlest Deer Creek rod why start another" so I just posted the link.:smokin:

#6 ·
Thanks

Thanks Robert,
I own one of of your fine Deer Creek rods. I just want to thank you for the pleasure you have given me with it to date. Also for taking the time to post this great overview of line options.

#8 ·
Thanks Bob, Poppy, Lawrence

Thanks to all of you for your recommendations. Michael, I'm such a techno-idiot I didn't realize you had linked me up with another thread. It's true, I was starting a thread similar to others, but getting Mr. Meiser's comments were worth a little redundancy. So thanks, Bob. In all the threads I've seen about the Deer Creek series, I had not learned how the different rods in the line-up match up with the top-notch sticks that you and Mike Kinney have produced. I think information along the lines of the 5/6 being similar in action to the Highlander series while the 6/7 is more the MKS action can be invaluable to those of us who are looking at rods. Thanks again, Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.