Spey Pages banner

Classic Spey Sized Reels

11K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Topher Browne 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anybody had experiences with classic style reels in spey sizes...4 - 4 1/4" diameters.
Reels I'm interested in are Godfreys, Kineyas, Saraciones, Bogdans and to a lesser extent Peerless etc. Basically S handle reels.
I was wondering about fit & finish, value. Real world fishing situations in the fall/winter attached to a spey rod fighting Salmon/Steelhead.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.

#3 ·
Rainforestspey said:
pfluger medalist baby ....
Exactly. Used these for years; only had one 'fail' on me over 30-40'ish years. And I was hauling on King Salmon ... the 1595 .... perhaps a tad "under kill" for the size of the fish involved. Only one they built that was a complete 'dud' was the 'Supreme' line; calling them 'that' is an oxymoron.

#4 ·
Classic S handled reels

Having used Vom Hofe, Zwarg and Walker (the Walker was a loner belonging to a trusting friend) classics I would say that these reels - along with the Hardy Perfect as a normal style reel, are as good as it gets. The only modern reels of this type which I have used - and still use almost to the exclusion of others - are Wurm reels, which are a total knock-off of the Bogdans. The quality of these is variable in the bigger sizes, though the materials used are if anything higher than those of the Bogdan. I also have some Knock-offs made for me in the UK which are excellent. Another which I have is a Guideline "Alta" - again a Bogdan copy but although the workmanship is good, the anodising is too thin and the frame seems a little softer tahn the others.

Back to the real classics - IF you can find a nice 4/0 Vom Hofe or Zwarg or Walker ( it will cost a lot!!) then buy it...there are no nicer reels to use.
Good luck,
Tweedside

#5 ·
tweedside said:
Another which I have is a Guideline "Alta" - again a Bogdan copy but although the workmanship is good, the anodising is too thin and the frame seems a little softer tahn the others.

Back to the real classics - IF you can find a nice 4/0 Vom Hofe or Zwarg or Walker ( it will cost a lot!!) then buy it...there are no nicer reels to use.
Good luck,
Tweedside

Tweedside.
The Guideline Alta had caught my attention in the past. Are they still available & if so, how much would I be looking at spending? How would I go about ordering one?
Thanks for any info.

#6 ·
If you are interested in Bogdan, call Steve Bogdan . I have ordered the 300 reel around Christmas 2005 and received it in May 2006.
It was a gift for good friend of mine. Great collectible, great quality but not necessarily very practical reels.

#7 · (Edited)
Hi Sazan.
In what way is the reel not very practical?
Is it not durable enough to fish?
I have Loops & they look classic but just aren't the same. I have a Saracione that I fish the most of my Spey reels but it matches only shorter rods & i am looking for something larger.

#8 ·
It's not a "S" handle but how about a Hardy Mark IV Salmon Bougle? It's definitely a classic reel that's 4" incher. Sweet sounding drag too. Also, it's cheaper than Peerless, Bogden, VomHoff, etc. Unfortunately it's out of production but you can still find new ones with a little effort and luck.

#9 ·
Great reel but no more Hardys for this fisherman.:tsk_tsk:
Based on principle more than anything else. Long story I don't want to get into.
If I wasn't going to lose so much money on my Cascapedia 4/0...that would be on it's way out the door too.

#10 ·
Gotcha...don't ask, don't tell:D Check out the reels by Maurice Noel in Quebec. Also, the Megoff Classic 10/12 AR. This is an aluminum Megoff reel designed to be a speyreel in anti-reverse. It has the classic S-handle design that has rim control. It has two grips, both of which are impregnated wood. 4.3"x1.5" and 11oz. It has a mid-arbor design and would hold a WF12F and 300yds of 30#, but more importantly should hold a 9/10/11 Windcutter and 150+yds of 30#. This is a anti-reverse speyreel which you don't see everyday and probably isn't easy to find but you might be able to.

#12 ·
Guideline Alta

Hi Rookie
The Alta was a limited edition reel, though not numbered as such. I bought mine from a dealer in Germany. I spoke with Guideline and there are o more of them. I have seen one or two on Ebay over the past two or three years.

If you ever buy a Hardy reel make absolutely sure that it is an old one...preferably an old Perfect. I know others who have had problems with modern Hardy reels - and the same goes for (some) rods. Lines are nice though.
Tweedside

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Maurice Noels reels are definitely not cheap. Always remember, "Nothing good lasts forever and nothing lasts forever if it's any good." So, they are probably not easy to find. Try just-reels.com for new and used reels. If you just want a functional, durable, heay duty, not gonna fall apart spey reel check out the Abel X-Stream spey reels. It's not a very pretty looking reel and didn't sell well so Abel is discontinuing them in 2007 so they are limited too BUT you can probably still get one at Abel's web site for about $300 or Buffalo Outfitters cattaraugusflyshop.com may have them but not at the closeout prices of course. :mad: Good luck

#15 ·
Rookiespey

Bogdan reels requires minor maintenance, which includes lining and cleaning. My friend who got it from me as a gift is very careful with his reel. Not because of its value.... He also owns and use Bogdan 200 since 2001.
You rather should avoid dunking the reel in murky water and specially salty water!
Beyond that performance is superb.

Martin

#17 ·
The larger Godfrey reel is classic design, extremely well-built, i.e. long-spey rod fishable, that would be available at a relatively reasonable price -- if you could find one. I can't compare it to a Von Hofe, but it is almost on a par with the Bogdan, IMHO. My $0.02

#19 ·
Dear William,

I saw people obsessed with the specific reels and now I see you attacking me because I said something you don’t like about the reel you own.
I was asking very specific questions( like Steve address, phone number) about Bogdan around Christmas 2005 on Mohlin thread and I appreciate the opinion you have expressed more then a year ago.
My friend and fishing partner likes the gift-Bogdan very much.

Best Regards,
Martin

#20 · (Edited)
Rookie Spey
I'll attest to the fact that Vom Hofe's are nice to use and a Julius V.H. although not so good looking as an Edward Vom. Hofe will make a deliciously LOUD racket when a fish is running l If you DO decide on a Bogdan it IS IMHO a practical reel which you'll probably keep on using for the rest of your life. Both Ted Godfrey and Maurice Noel make super products and are both very nice gents to boot.If you want "an easy to get" Noel just turn up at Le Fourches on openning week on the Matapedia and Maurice usually has a few in the trunk of his car.He's very approachable .
Cheers

#22 ·
Bogdan Reels

If you plan to use heads of 54' and longer, go with a Bogdan #300.

If you're using a Scandi Head or a Skagit Head and MONOFILAMENT running line (which takes up significantly less space than fly line running line), you will probably be happy with the Bogdan #150 (unless you require more than 150 yards of 30# backing; in which case, gelspun backing is an option).

A Bogdan #2 presents itself as an intermediate option. If you are considering a #2, in my opinion, you might just as well buy the #300: they are very similar in weight, but the #300 has more capacity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.