Spey Pages banner

Hardy Reels form Korea

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Tweed Dweller 
#1 ·
There is a discussion on Fly Fishing Forum (Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here ) about Hardy Reels made in Korea . Despite the company claim “Made in England” the info on the reel box said “Made in Korea”.

Amazing, considering huge price hike in recent years .

#2 ·
What do you expect, its a business.....

A business which has to rely on its pedigree and past (excellent) product reputation. 'made in England' = (probably) finally assembled in England.
The problem is that the product range for which Hardy Bros. were famous were hand assembled and had 100% quality control at all stages of production. That is why there are such large number of very old Perfects, St.Georges etc still working exceptionally well. Today the decision to have reels made in the Far East means that IF there is any mistake in Quality Control, vast numbers of reels hit the market before the mistake is discovered. Look at eBay and see the numbers of the first type of various makes of reels which are being sold brand new at low prices.
This is not a grudge statement against Hardy reels, rather it defines the state of todays marketing, which relies very heavily on expensive advertising, attendance at exhibitions and shows along with other PR related activity. The marketing cost percentage of trade price on such product HAS to be many times the cost of manufacture + materials. And this applies to the whole fishing tackle market, irrespective of the makers name,be it for flyrods, reels, lines ,whatever. Sad, don't you think!

#3 ·
The quality of anything manufactured anywhere depends on the manufacturer, not where its made. You can get excellent quality out of Korea, just take TFO for example plus a lot of other rods with other brand names.
And the same applied to reels, sincethey have ben made outside USA and European countries for many years.
Maybe we should start looking at the quality control rather than the country of origin. I've got a few Korean made rods and they are very good gear.
MaxG.

#4 ·
I don't believe all Hardy reels are made in Korea.

The purchaser on the other forum was speaking of the Zane and the Marksman. Those two reels were made targeting the US market.

There are reasons why Hardy reels are so expensive, probably has to do with the fact the pound is worth twice the dollar.

If you look at the Angel, Bougle and Cascapedia and see that they are in the $700-$1100 price range and then see a new saltwater reel come out that cost $550, that should raise suspicion It did with me.

The Zane cost $550 and £469.00 in the UK, once again it was easy to tell that it was being made some where else.

#5 ·
Another reason why we in the UK

I don't believe all Hardy reels are made in Korea.

The Zane cost $550 and £469.00 in the UK, once again it was easy to tell that it was being made some where else.
In the UK we feel that we are being ripped off by having to pay SO much more for our fishing products than you have to in the US.

eg. An "American" rod, irrespective of its real origin STILL costs a lot more here. An Example, there are many others from the 'big names':

LOOMIS GLX 15' 10/11 costs UK£ 899 in the UK, ie approx US$ 1750-1800!!!!

In the US the same rod costs US$930 which approximates to UK£ 465.00!!!!!
HALF the Uk price.

But when UK makers as quoted above charge so much more in their home marketplace than in an overseas market then we KNOW that something is seriously wrong.

All we can do is exercise our rights not to buy either type of product. THIS is why I attempt to 'trade' any surplus major items with you guys in the US - that way we both get a good deal and buck the money(for others)making machine.

Incidentally, in case you have missed it, I have some Classic Sharpes Spliced rods on the classified ad. page, though it looks probable that two of the 3 13' are now spoken for!

Good luck to all of us!

#6 ·
Glx

I saw your post re: cost of Loomis rods in UK.

If you are interested in a brand new Loomis rod let me know, I most likely will be able to get any Loomis rod for your at $ 850 ( shipping + insurance included).

The same with Simms waders or jacket. In this case after November 1-st.

G-Loomis I can get within 4 weeks or so.

#7 ·
Many Thanks SAZAN, I appreciate the kindness of your offer. However I have had my Loomis days with the old IMX rods....they were wonderful wonderful rods then, except I had 6 rods replaced by Loomis in 2 years. But I still have a Garry L 11' singlehand ... wonderful rod, also a 11'6" original GLX made up as a 1 i/2 hander, or as now called 'SWITCH" rod!!
I have moved on largely to CND and will soon have a quiver full. Many thanks though.
Best of luck!
Tweedside.

#10 ·
Most interesting thread ... US vs. UK cost of fishing gear.

A few PNW 'e-tailers' picked up on this (big time!) years back and do a roaring business across the Pond. Gather from threads on a couple of Forums I post to (UK based) that it's rather hit or miss if you'll be charged with the import/VAT taxes.

I may have this backward, but it appears "stuff" sent 'regular mail' has a low probability of being taxed (unless the package is insured). UPS/DHL pretty good chance you'll get hit with the taxes.

#11 · (Edited)
A few PNW 'e-tailers' picked up on this (big time!) years back and do a roaring business across the Pond. Gather from threads on a couple of Forums I post to (UK based) that it's rather hit or miss if you'll be charged with the import/VAT taxes.

I may have this backward, but it appears "stuff" sent 'regular mail' has a low probability of being taxed (unless the package is insured). UPS/DHL pretty good chance you'll get hit with the taxes.

UPS & DHL NEVER let anything get into the UK without extracting the maximum possible! I have even been charged full duty on the UPS delivery cost when the packed goods were totally duty free. I seem to remember that they also charge an admin. cost for collection...it was about 10 UK Pounds.

Your US post office parcels as you say, are seldom hit, though I had to pay a staggering 36% on an insured parcel where the sender declared it at list price, though that rod had been out of production for 4 years or more, and the rod was a scared, battle marked veteran!...I dont buy on auctions without the greatest care since then!

Waders, waterproofs are best sent described as industrial clothing, though I doubt that our extremely generous and understanding Chancellor of the Exchequer and Prime Minister in Waiting Gordon Brown has left that loophole open!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.