Spey Pages banner

Ed Ward video

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  tjt 
#1 ·
Hey guys, been reading and lurking for a while but I don't post much. I was wondering is any body has any info on the new Ed Ward You Tube video that started making the rounds early this week? In this video he it says he converted a single hand 4/5 weight into a "micro skagit" rod and the video is of him casting this rod. I was curious if anybody knows what rod he has converted and what head / grain weight he is using. The reason I ask is because this is something I have been thinking of doing and am gathering information. Thanks.

#6 · (Edited)
Ed's Rod in video clip

The rod Ed is using is a rod I custom built. It is a 9' 4/5wt single-hander blank built for the purpose of two-handed casting. It is not a single hander with lower handle attached. The handle is cork, burl, burnt cork, and rubber cork glued ring on ring and turned on my lathe. The guide layout,spining of the rod, upper and lower handle are designed to perform with Skagit casting in mind. There are several threads on skagitmaster.com look for micro speys

Darrel

#10 ·
I happen to own a Zpey switch Z1 rod 9' #5. Its a singlehander which comes with a detachable lower handle in the unmistakable Zpey shape.
If you're looking for a micro skagit rod "ready to go", try to uncover one of these. The action in these rods are deep, they're meade for speycasting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.