Spey Pages banner

Anyone using the Winston 11' 7 wt. Switch Rod?

10K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Glenburn Drift 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone is using this rod.......and to see what you think of it?

I have never owned a Winston, but was thinking about giving one a try. Also, what lines seem to work well?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

#3 ·
Wonder if.......

....a 325 gr. "short" skagit line would do the trick? The reason I ask:

I recently (last week) ordered that line for another 7 wt. (not a true switch rod...just a 7100 Sage SP with the addtion of a rear spey grip).....which I will probably "retire" if I get the Winston. I would like to keep from ordering another line if possible. I should also add that most casts will be fairly short.....say less than 50'.

Thanks!

#5 ·
I stand corrected......it was the 375 gr. Skagit Short line that I ordered. And it sounds like it will work with either rod.

Thanks for rod reviews too! Keep 'em comin'.....

....a 325 gr. "short" skagit line would do the trick? The reason I ask:

I recently (last week) ordered that line for another 7 wt. (not a true switch rod...just a 7100 Sage SP with the addtion of a rear spey grip).....which I will probably "retire" if I get the Winston. I would like to keep from ordering another line if possible. I should also add that most casts will be fairly short.....say less than 50'.

Thanks!

#4 ·
11 foot BIIX

I had one a couple of years ago and couldn't find a line I liked with it for DH casting (note: I'm not a expert by any means and there have been a lot of new lines introduced since then). My other big problem with it was that it didn't have as much lifting power for the average Michigan steelhead as I like. I thought it was taking too long to fight and land the fish and often I had to "corkscrew" the fish up to the net rather than simply lifting the head. I know others who disagree on this point. I've since tried one of Meiser's new 11 foot switch rods and found it to be substantially more to my liking, strong yet effortless. As has been said several hundred times on this site, you really need to try rods before you buy to see what works for you as everyone is different. I wouldn't spend money on any rod unless I've personally cast it.

#6 ·
I have had one of these rods for about 4 years. I have spent most of that time trying to match it to a line for TH casting and, finally, appear to have succeeded.

The best fit for me is a Vision shooting head (I think an 8/9) cut to 29' and 420 grains. I tried this line on the rod at the Muskegon Clave and found it to be perfect. I also have used the Beulah Elixir Switch 6/7 (335 grains @ 28 feet), and found it to be pretty good. Up until this year I used a WC 6/7/8 (too heavy), an Orvis Short Head Spey Type I 7-wt (a bit too heavy), and an Orvis Short Head Spey Type I 6-wt (385 grains at the uncut head length, which was pretty good). All the lines were floaters. I have never fished the rod with tips, and do not think it would be very good with tips.

This has been my "go to" rod for atlantic salmon. It is light in hand and makes short work of even a 15-pound fresh fish. I have never found a reason to be concerned that the rod would not bring the fish to net quickly.

#7 ·
Howdy JC523,

Your short skagit will work perfectly. I fish the SA single hand Skagit 360 and 400 on the rod and like both. For a dry head try a scandi around 33' and 290-310 grains. I use the rod for light/small steelhead and trout with these lines and have found trout from 14" to 10 lb. steelhead and all in between to be a riot. I am traveling for work now and will be streamer fishing with it on the upper Gunnison R. this evening.

Cheers,

#8 ·
After reading Greg's response, I guess I should have made clear that I like a little heavier feel to the line than some of my friends. This, along with the fact that he is a far better caster than I can reasonably aspire to becoming, might account for the difference in recommended grain weight.

It is also worth noting that you should use the lightest, most supple, running line reasonably appropriate to your fishing with whatever head you decide to use.

#9 ·
I have this rod...my go to line is the Beulah Elixir 295gr (5/6)..I tried the 335gr, and thought it was a bit heavy, for me anyway. I use msotly polyleaders , and small-med. flies on this rod.
The elixir does an awesome job, whether its TH, THOH, or SH.

If you're looking at Winstons... 2009 brings the BII-MX 11'6" 6wt....should be an interesting rod.

#10 ·
Hi JC523,

I got this rod last year for my 9-year old son. Main criteria was it being so light that he could handle it with ease. We used a Windcutter 5/6 on it.
Worked well for him as a spey newby - after a few hours he was firing out 60-70' double speys.
I could push it to maybe 85', then I felt to have reached the limit, but for this kind of rod you don't expect 100+ foot casts anyway...

And yes, it handles large fish well - my son landed his first Dean River steelhead, a nice 13 lbsw hen...

Regards,

Stefan

#11 · (Edited)
I have been using the rod for the last two years on the GL tribs and really like the versatility it affords. I am using a 9 wt SA Steelhead line and it throws very serviceable speys out to about 90' with either long leaders or 10' sinking poly leaders. While I wouldn't use it for winter work, it makes a great early season low water rod for swinging flies. It is also a phenomenal rod for high sticking and bobber fishing, but that is as far as I want to take that subject here :saevilw:

If fishing tips is more your thing, you may want to look into the Z-Axis 11' #7. A friend of mine has it and it has substantially more oomph than the BIIX does...
________
vaporizer reviews

#12 ·
I forgot to mention that the first line I tried with the 1107 was a WC 5/6. Of all the lines I have tried, I liked that one the least -- way too light for me. Just goes to emphasize what everyone always says when one asks for recommendations of a line for a given rod, you have got to try them for yourself.

CK

I have been using the rod for the last two years on the GL tribs and really like the versatility it affords. I am using a 9 wt SA Steelhead line and it throws very serviceable speys out to about 90' with either long leaders or 10' sinking poly leaders. While I wouldn't use it for winter work, it makes a great early season low water rod for swinging flies. It is also a phenomenal rod for high sticking and bobber fishing, but that is as far as I want to take that subject here :saevilw:

If fishing tips is more your thing, you may want to look into the Z-Axis 11' #7. A friend of mine has it and it has substantially more oomph than the BIIX does...

#13 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up getting this rod. I wasn't really in the market.....as I already have a 10' Sage that I "converted" to a switch rod.....but it was a good deal (used). I had ordered an entry level spey rod and reel.......but it had been discontinued. So, I ended up with the Winston! I have always had Sage singlehanders....so I'm anxious to try this thing out.

#16 · (Edited)
How would a Rio Salmon/Steelhead 7 wt. line be for single hand work....high stick nymphing...etc?

I will be using a Skagit Short when swinging flies....but just wondered about my other line?

Thanks again.
For where you are likely fishing...not bad. Though if you overline the rod with a longer belly 8 or 9 wt, you will be able to throw some snap-t's and snake rolls a bit easier. Hucking indicators and lead back upstream is much nicer with the heavier line.
________
XBR500

#17 ·
I own this rod and have tried lots of combinations for it, my favorite so far is the 420gr. Vision Ace and the 5/6 AFS Outbound, both work really well out to 80ft or so. I have a 9wt GPX for nymphing that seems to work well for roll casting and high sticking.
I've used the AFS for chucking streamers for bull trout on the Metolius and it worked really nicely.
I started out thinking that I could find a "silver bullet" that would work for everything, boy was I wrong. But with a couple of lines this is a very versitile rod, it's not going to be great in every catagory but I use it a lot more than I thought I would.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.