Spey Pages banner

Waist pack

2K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  brent_e 
#1 ·
I am looking for a waist pack for fishing...the three I am interested in are Simms dry creek, Patagonia storm hip pack, and fishpond nimbus. I was wondering f any of you have any experience with these packs...I am leaning towards the fishpond, I had a fishpond double haul and it was a great Pack but I have it to y brother.

#2 ·
All 'pricie' stuff, the FP being the less expensive of the bunch. Google REI (camping gear) and see what they may have. Anything REI sells is top drawer, and probably less expensive. For context, a lot of their gear has been on top of Mt. Everest.;)

fae

#3 ·
I liked the Simms and used it several years, but had 2 complaints: the auxiliary compartment zippers corrode in saltwater and over time become unusable, and if you wade deep, water seeps in and soaks all your gear. I now use the Patagonia. It's expensive, but it works: waterproof (you could use it as a PFD), and impervious to saltwater. I don't know if the Fishpond is waterproof, but if I weren't concerned about that and planned to use it only in freshwater, I'd probably go with the Fishpond because of its design features.

#8 ·
Just another suggestion to consider. I have two William Joseph Surge waist packs that I really like.

It holds quite a bit and is layed out well to me. Has two drink holders which i really like for a travel mug of coffee, water bottles, bear spray, etc

The unique thing is it uses earth magnets to keep things shut. No zippers to break or rust. Easy to open when you want yet I have never had them open ever when I didn't want them too.

It is not water proof but I rarely wade past my waist and my fishing gear is not made of sugar anyways lol

#11 ·
I too would recommend the sage brush. It's waterproof, simple and tough. Very tough.
it's expensive.
but you get what you pay for. The large will hold all your fishing stuff (couple boxes, extra reel, etc) plus a waterproof shell and a water bottle. They carry really well. My only gripe is that they are hard to close while it's still on. I loosen the waist strap and flip the pack to my front to get to the contents.
they are bone dry.

#10 ·
Since you're in Canada, check out the Plano waist pack, at canadian Tire.
It has 3 large compartments, a bottle holder, good zippers, a strong belt and clasp, and is water resistant. I've had mine for 3 years, and still in great shape.
Don't be put off by the low price. You'll thank me...:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.