Spey Pages banner

Budget reel. If it can be...

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Skilly 
#1 ·
What are the budget reels for spey use- Kola Peninsula, Kamchatka and other places with big fishes from fresh or salt?
Or up to 100-200$ is not enough? From practical point of view?

#2 ·
I think that a Lamson velocity would do the trick. They have revamped it to a hard alox, so the older models are at big discounts, I recently purchased a 4 for under $200, new with lifetime warranty. They are fully anodized and sealed. The drag is easy to convert from left to right retrieve and have gotten a lot of good press. You may even be able to snag a Litespeed for not too much more. If you do, the guide finish is harder anodized and the 4 has a larger drag than the Velocity. I think you may be looking in the mid to upper $200 for one of these, though. Good Luck:)

#3 ·
Titan

I have Heritage Titan reels in 7-9 and 9-11 sizes. They have drags built for Bonefish and Stripers and are made from bar stock. They retail for $130

email babar@speyman.com if you want more info

#4 ·
RYB said:
What are the budget reels for spey use- Kola Peninsula, Kamchatka and other places with big fishes from fresh or salt?
Or up to 100-200$ is not enough? From practical point of view?

I would go with the Teton Tioga 12 weight. It is about 9.3 ounces so heavy enough to balance a spey rod, plus has a very low startup inertia. Goes for about $160.

#5 ·
Question? When one is spending $3500. to$5000.000 + on a trip why would one try to save $ on the tackle.:confused: It is like the person who is wiling to spend $700.00 + on a rod and then ties to save 50 cents on the fly. Economise on the flight, not that which the trip is all abou:roll: t.
Think about it;) .
Ramsay

#8 ·
value?

MS,

There are numerous good reels to be had for $200 or less that are more than up to the task of salmon and steelhead fishing. It doesn't look as though the original poster is trying to economize on tackle in any way that threatens the angling success of his trip. Now if he was looking for a salmon reel at $30 or less, then that would be taking a risk with economy. Ultimately I suppose it's in the eye of the beholder. Most reels available in the US market are adequate for salmon and steelhead fishing, but some are a lot more nicely made than others.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#9 ·
Muckle Salmon

I've started the thread because I was simly interested about budget BUT working reels.And what is new on this segment of market. Now manufacturers are comig closer to fishers purshasing abilities. Many friends of mine(non speaking english)with the PERFECT in the heart, but a certain(till) sum in the pocket, are eagger to find that compromise...
And economising tackle some guys are able to travel much more... For fishing, of course... Isn't that a kind of WAY?

#11 ·
Ryb, aren't you in Russia; (the Oka is the largest tributary of the Volga River)? How much is the trip going to cost you to go to Kamchatka? Do they have fly fishing stores there? What dealers are available to you? Or do you have to purchase your equipment from out of country? If so, do you have to pay any additional taxes on incoming equipment? Just curious.
Joe

#13 ·
GB Spey,

It appears that you are saying that a $200 reel isn't a good reel, and an angler is at risk of losing fish by not spending more. Is that really what you mean? If so, it doesn't make sense. I have Hardys that run a little over $200 these days, and a Tioga at well under $200, and I haven't met the salmon or steelhead these reels would not land. Where's the insufficiency?

Everyone's free to spend as much as they want on their tackle, but it's disingenuous to suggest that there is any need to spend more, once the modest threshold for quality reels is attained.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#14 ·
Gunner

Lots of dealers. But sometimes it's difficult to find a spey reel of desired size or smth for paticular needs(17 footer or DT 12/14).
The speyfishing market is still growing... I think it's a kind of risk business because the winter is a half a year and salmon/trout rivers are far enough. Like Kamchatka. Or Kola.
Kamchatka's week will cost 1200$ -transfer from airport, guides, boats, russian suana,prime time all the season, comfort time-september/october...

#15 ·
Tioga

I have fished the Teton Tioga 12 and the Magnum 12 for the last five years. I have never had a problem, they have always been flawless. Dollar for dollar I think they are as good as anything on the market. It is a caged reel so the guys in the midweat that fish in severe cold shy away from them.

Skilly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.