Spey Pages banner

MOW Tips! How they work?

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  TimSmith 
#1 ·
Hey All,

Hope Im not betting a dead horse here. I was wondering how these tips work?

I get why they were constructed but I would like to know how the float/sink tip ratio works in different water depths and senerios.

Am I right in assuming that the shorter the float tip and longer the sink tip the line is going to sink deeper. Sorry for the elementary questions. I assume this is correct.

I run a 475 Skagit rig right now and fish the Pere Marquette for steel mostly in the fall an winter. I will also fish the B Man and MO. Any recommendations from local Michiganders to what MOW tips I should have in my arsenal?

BTW, I have been currently running around 10' of straight T-14.

Thanks Much.

#2 ·
Your assumption about the shorter floating section and longer sinking section is correct. So if your successfully using a 10' piece of T-14 I can't see you going to a MOW tip with a shorter piece of T-14, everything else being equal.

The idea is all your sinktips weigh the same and are the same length for consistent casting.

#5 ·
higher in the column/same stroke.
Nice description

As to the Clearwater, the water's running West and the fish are swimming East so things are good.:smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.