Spey Pages banner

cheap alternative to waddington shanks

7K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  pauliedog 
#1 ·
had an idea to use a hairpin for a stinger... these are hot roller pins.
they are not the exact ones i was looking for but they are very similar ( the ones i wanted are straight round metal these are woven ) 100 2" pins and 75 3" pins for $8

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
PM sent! ;)

Mike

#6 ·
Sweet , we WILL strike back!!!!!
You take our saddle hackles ?? Well we'll take your hairpins!!!!!!

Great idea guys , heard of people using these . The pics have helped to make it clearer what guys are using. I'll be switching for sure!!!

On a side note and not to hi jack but do people prefer the eye to point up or down!!! I tie mine pointing up however wonder if pointing down would increase the " diving " action???

Again great idea and money saver , I hate cutting expensive hooks.

#7 ·
I frequently use Loop double salmon hooks with down eye for salmon fishing back home in scandinavia and I really like how they swim. I do think they have a bit of diving to them. However you have to use a guiding knot and these are smaller hooks, so I don't really know how a shank would behave...

#8 ·
Hit your local NAPA auto parts store and get the biggest 'Cotter Pins/keys' you can get your hands on. These things will sink like a rock. Not an original idea, came from JD Jones.

Everyone needs to PM/E-mail him and get his butt back on the board. A wealth of info .... even if he just uses a Skagit head 12 months of the year.:roll:

#12 ·
Hit your local NAPA auto parts store and get the biggest 'Cotter Pins/keys' you can get your hands on. These things will sink like a rock.
I've tried cotter pins from the hardware store, and I've found that they won't hold a clinch knot at all. I suppose I could tie them on with a perfection loop or similar knot, but then it seems that's kind of redundant on an intruder-style fly and not easy to tie that knot on those flies, either.

My $.02.

#17 ·
A recent tie using these hairpins:

The earliest sequence of pictures shows detailed steps of the stinger loop construction to the shank, and later the rear post & wing, then the body, then the front wing construction.

http://speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=73985

This particular pattern will be being sent out to those speypagers in the Winter (steelhead) Fly Swap - Take II (second serving) for in-river testing!, and I will be testing the same on summer nookies in '14 ;)

Mike

#15 ·
bringing this oldish thread back to life.....

can you buy these LJ Professional hair pins in the states? i could only find them available in the UK. I found some Amish-made ones in Pennsylvania that are $1.86 per dozen, so that's a hair over $.15 per pin. Cheap compared to shanks still spendy compared to the LJ pros that are $0.01 per pin.

#19 ·
Amazon (us) do sell them, but only in small packs of either 12 or 24 pins for ~$8 or so.

The bulk (commercial) packs of 500 pins seem to be only available via uk seller webpages & the big auction site (.co.uk), for about US$17 per pack excluding postage.

Mike

#21 ·
Find a friend from the UK and have them re-shipped is easiest, avoids import fee's and duties. I ordered 1500 of the 3" long straight pins. Paying for the pins,
shipping to my friend and shipping to me set me back $86, .5 cents per pin. I then sell 500 or so to a buddy to make back some of my investment as I think 1000 is enough, and voila, more shanks then I will ever know what to do with.

#22 · (Edited)
Help

I saved this image of these sweet looking shanks to my iPhone while browsing the mulitwebs in an Ambionic state.
Now I can't remember where the hell I found them.
Does anyone recognize these things?
Does anyone know where to buy some of these?
I love the taper and bend of the loop.
Super sexy shanks.
Tanks…

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.