Spey Pages banner

Scott LS2

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  spey_bubba 
#1 ·
I have just got my second LS2 1408 what a rod. My first was the 7 weight these are awesome rods.

#4 ·
Hello Speyfisher1:

Compared to the ARC 1509, I think you will find the LS2 even lighter, yet with a broader range. The action (like all the LS2's) is different from the ARC; we designed it with a more robust tip section, and a relatively stiffer middle section, it has greater distance potential, and it is capable of delivering higher lines speeds, with a little more "pop" off the tip. The ARC 1509 will appeal to you if you like a slower, more through action feel, the LS2 if you like a more "modern" quicker feel. I wouldn't say one is "better" than the other, they just are designed differently, with a different feel - kind of like the difference between G2 and S3... completely different series, but both thoroughbreds.

#5 ·
Ls2

Thanks Way, your statements about the LS2 series is similar to what I've heard from most people. I don't have a dealer anywhere near me so I have to go with what I hear and read about sometimes I meet someone with a new rod on the river, most people are more than happy to let you have a cast once they see that you know what your doing and not some novice that's going to break their prized possesion.

I asked Moose to e-mail me when he sends it, I've been checking my e-mail everyday, still havn't heard anything. I bought a 4.8 Islander for it today, a monster of a reel, I'm worried that it may be too heavy for such a light rod and off balance it, 13.7 ounces! Darn, I may have to buy the 16 footer as well. I'm planning on using this rod for two main purposes, large big water steelies and chinooks. I've got a 9/10, 650 Skagit Spey line that should be appropriate, Simon recommends it, I'll most probably be fishing sink tips and T-14 in the 2-400 grain range, so 1000 grains with a fly that sometimes is referred to as a pelt! Should be intressting. I also have an old 7/8 Grandspey that Simon says is now rated as a 9/10, I figure I can get 100+ feet easy out of the system. Can't wait!

Thanks,

Mike

#6 ·
Hello Mike:

No worries. Hope you like the 1307. The reel you ordered might be on the heavy side... I've used a Teton 9-11, which is about right, and a Hardy Bougle 4" which is a tad heavy.

Regarding the LS2 1610, it is my overall favorite rod (ever). It will throw just about anything, including small mammals. Was fishing it in Russia this past year with 20 foot of T14 up to 330 grains over 20 feet on the tip with a proto Skagit line that Steve designed. Great out to over 140 feet.

Also wonderful with an XLT (of course!)

#8 ·
Ls2

Thanks Way,

Good I'll have to get a 16 footer as well then. I have some lighter reels, Bauer M5 & M7 and Hardy Ultradisk LA 10/11 and so on. I bought the Islander 4.8 for the drag and the border, Canadian customs is a pain in the butt! They try to slap duty on the insured value of the reel despite the fact that it's warranty work at no charge that is declared. Takes alot of faxing, and phone calls to wrench your money out of them, took me 5 months the last time.

Still no reply from Moose, got any influence? Probably doesn't matter, customs will probably delay it at the border for a couple weeks. I wanted to use it in two weeks, I don't think that's going to happen, I can dream.....

Thanks again,

#9 ·
Hello Mike:

I know Scott has been ba**s to the wall trying to keep up with preseasons... the G2 line is off like a rocket, E3 is doing fantastic, and the demand for the LS2, I think, has been more than anybody reasonably anticipated (which is good, but at the same time bad if you want one ASAP!). I too have been hoping to get a couple of 1307's for the DVD Topher, Greg, and I are shooting next week on the Deschutes. [I'll be stealing mine back from my girlfriend who "redistributed assets" to replace her ARC 1287 last week.]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.