Spey O Rama 2013 - The World Championship of Spey Casting [Archive] - Spey Pages

: Spey O Rama 2013 - The World Championship of Spey Casting

Bob Pauli
04-30-2012, 02:57 PM
I am delighted to invite you all to Spey O Rama 2013, the 10th anniversary of this world championship. Dates are April 19-21, 2013.

speyforsteel
04-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Where do I sign up:D

speyvalley_2009
04-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Bob

Count us all in, we will be there for the big show.

James Chalmers.

kush
04-30-2012, 07:28 PM
I'll be there as well - and hopefully a number of new Old Farts to compete with (maybe if we call it the Masters Division instead of Seniors ;)...)

Norseman
05-01-2012, 03:00 AM
Maybe I will see you there next year. And yes I would be a new old fart...LOL....or should I say Master Class. Nice ring to it.

Kluev
05-01-2012, 03:36 AM
I definitely will come back. A magnificent holiday with beautiful people. The best year i had. Guys thank you!!!!

Tls...
05-01-2012, 04:45 AM
Count me in...

Tommy

Speyirideus
05-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Hmm...:rolleyes:...put my registration in the mail yesterday:smokin:.

Also, La Filice will host a pasta & vino dinner, Friday Night. Salute!
Best.
Ed F.

rod longer
05-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Hey

In fo show...

R.L.

Dmytro
05-02-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm in. Can't miss such an event.

highlander2
05-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Not missing this one!

Tellis
05-08-2012, 02:35 AM
I will really try to go next year, this is a "must do" for a spey caster! :)

Ekelund
05-08-2012, 03:36 AM
Count Anita and me in for sure...:p:smokin:! Let us now all pray for a mild winter here up north....and no ice, please:rolleyes:!

Knut

locvetter
06-24-2012, 11:27 PM
So what does World Champion Whitney Gould do when not practicing for SOR?

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii610/Locvetter/cb80858f.jpg

Speyirideus
06-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Whit looks pretty pleased, as well:smoking:, Kudo's to ya' both.
Best.
Ed F.

highlander2
06-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Nice fish Loc, each one is amazing! Well done! Happy Whit!

locvetter
06-29-2012, 12:38 AM
Westmoreland Pond in Portland yesterday. Gorgeous!

It was not this way last February,March

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii610/Locvetter/get-attachment-1.jpg

Splake
07-01-2012, 11:55 AM
We will be there, too. Looking forward to it.
All the best,

Ben_D
08-09-2012, 06:10 AM
I should be there, looking forward to it already!

Cheers

Ben

Kluev
11-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Hello Bob.
From 19-21 April, the exact dates for competitions? Thanks Sergey

Steelie-Stalker
11-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Thinking about trying compete for last place on saturday. Your welcome for making you all look like spey gods!

highlander2
11-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Steelie, You should Definetly come and cast, the more the better.

SanFranFlyFish
01-11-2013, 06:45 PM
10th Annual Spey-O-Rama is April 19-21, 2013

Location: GGACC Casting Ponds, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, California

Information about this year's Golden Gate Angling & Casting Club's Spey-o-Rama is available at http://www.spey-o-rama.com/

John Till is this year's SOR Chairman. He has sent out over 400 email invitations to past competitors and other interested parties. If you have not received an email (and would like one) send a request to info@speyorama.com,

or just get an entry form online:

Vendor/exhibitor and competitor registration forms are available at: http://www.spey-o-rama.com/Speyorama_2013-Registration_Form.pdf

2013 SOR Casting Competition Rules are at: http://www.spey-o-rama.com/rules.htm

One item has changed, and should be noted. There will be a $50USD Registration Fee for Competitors.

------
I have been asked to step into Bob Pauli's rather large shoes and be the liaison between GGACC/SOR and Speypages this year. I hope I'll do half as good a job as Bob has done in past years (and not make mistakes or inadvertently pass on mis-information.)

I will also re-post information to the "Un-Official Spey-o-Rama" Facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/Speyorama/ )

We at GGACC look forward to seeing all the old familiar faces as well as welcoming new ones this April.

Cordially,
Craig Sharrow

SanFranFlyFish
01-11-2013, 08:12 PM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/326747_10151188160296052_1505279489_o.jpg?dl=1

rubberguy
01-11-2013, 10:51 PM
I am delighted to invite you all to Spey O Rama 2013, the 10th anniversary of this world championship. Dates are April 19-21, 2013.

I met Willy George one day on the American River (a real nice man). He gave me a couple of pointers. I told him I'd come down to see the layout. Count me in. Thank you. :)

spencesbridge
01-12-2013, 02:20 AM
Craig, thanks for volunteering, yes you do have some big shoes to fill. You have quite a bit of work ahead. Let me know if there is anything you need, we are willing to help anyway we can.

Thanks for doing this

Gene Oswald

SanFranFlyFish
01-12-2013, 02:55 PM
Women
2004 Donna O'Sullivan
2005 Donna O'Sullivan
2006 No competition
2007 Kateri Clay
2008 Takako Inoue
2009 Whitney Gould
2010 Mia Sheppard
2011 Whitney Gould
2012 whitney Gould
2013 [Your Name Here ]

Men
2004 Ian Gordon
2005 Scott Mackenzie
2006 Gordon Armstrong & Mariuz Wroblewski joint 1st.
2007 Gordon Armstrong
2008 Simon Hsieh
2009 Simon Hsieh
2010 Gordon Armstrong
2011 Gerard Downey
2012 Gerard Downey
2013 [Your Name Here ]

Men's Seniors
2012 Tyler Kushnir
2013 [Your Name Here ]

SanFranFlyFish
01-12-2013, 03:10 PM
The “Spey for Trout” Competition will be held again, following all the Final Competitions on Sunday April 21

o Three person teams (Fly Shops, Rod/Reel/Line Manufacturers, Clubs - team members may be recruited)
o Maximum 12.5 ft Rod Length (must be available off-the-shelf)
o Floating line required – any type (must be available off-the-shelf)
o Any type Spey cast technique, but must employ an anchor
o Three targets at 50, 65 & 80 ft, one cast at each target
o Casting order determined by draw
o Team with highest accuracy score wins

SanFranFlyFish
01-12-2013, 03:27 PM
So, how many colors of lines will be fielding teams this year?

My unofficial count sees Lime Green and Blinding Fluorescent Orange. How about the Powder Blue boys'n'girls? And I sure love to see a "blast from the past" Lotus Blossom Pink.

SanFranFlyFish
01-14-2013, 03:00 PM
Bob Pauli needs 13 SOR Competition participants to volunteer for Member Training Day.

A major benefit for members of GGACC is this opportunity to improve their casting skills by spending an hour and a half with a Spey O Rama competitor. The event takes place Wednesday morning, April 17, 2013. Many GGACC members consider SOR's Training Day the highlight of their year.

There are two sessions: 8:30 to 10:00 AM and 10:15 to 11:45 AM. Our maximum capacity of 26 students is fully subscribed. Bob asks for 13 (or more) instructors willing to teach beginners and advanced casters the art of casting traditional, Scandinavian or Skagit styles, as the students individually prefer.

SOR competitors can volunteer by contacting Bob, PMing me, or posting on this thread.

Bob Pauli
01-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks to the Ballistic Vector Team for volunteering to instruct on Member Training Day:

Lee Davison
Anita Strand
Knut Ekelund
Tommy Arkvisla

Bob Pauli
01-14-2013, 11:51 PM
Many thanks to Bruce Kruk for volunteering to teach on Member Training Day.

Bob Pauli
01-14-2013, 11:56 PM
Travis Johnson, Thank you for volunteering for Training Day.
Bob

SanFranFlyFish
01-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Travis Johnson and his wife and young child are coming to SF for Spey O Rama. They arrive in San Francisco around April 16 and depart about a week later.

Travis is a steelhead guide on Oregon's rivers and is one of the world's very best Spey casters, having placed highly at Spey O Rama and winning the European championship last year. He is one of a handful to beat at SOR 2013. To frost the cake, Bob Pauli mentioned that Travis was an NCAA champion in at least two categories of wrestling during his college years.

If anyone has extra space for Travis and his family during SOR, please contact him directly at "speycaster-at-hotmail-dot-com"

SanFranFlyFish
01-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Tim Arsenault and Brian Styskal have also generously offered to help as casting instructors on April 17.

Make that 3. Just got a note from Jim Ansite.

Thanks guys.

Bob Pauli
01-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Tim, Brian, Jim:

Many thanks.

Bob

Kluev
01-16-2013, 05:25 AM
My friend Vadim Russian team
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0IaGZUCWFg&feature=youtu.be

SanFranFlyFish
01-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Gene Oswald has again offered his help as a casting instructor for Members Day.

Thanks Gene. See you in April.

kush
01-16-2013, 04:06 PM
Guys, Sandi has informed me that we will be arriving in San Francisco on Tuesday evening - so I would be happy to volunteer for instructing.

SanFranFlyFish
01-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Guys, Sandi has informed me that we will be arriving in San Francisco on Tuesday evening - so I would be happy to volunteer for instructing.

Thanks Tyler. A couple of lucky GGACC members will definitely benefit from your expertise. Look forward to seeing you in April.

steelheadchick
01-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Travis Johnson and his wife and young child are coming to SF for Spey O Rama. They arrive in San Francisco around April 16 and depart about a week later.

Travis is a steelhead guide on Oregon's rivers and is one of the world's very best Spey casters, having placed highly at Spey O Rama and winning the European championship last year. He is one of a handful to beat at SOR 2013. To frost the cake, Bob Pauli mentioned that Travis was an NCAA champion in at least two categories of wrestling during his college years.

If anyone has extra space for Travis and his family during SOR, please contact him directly at "speycaster-at-hotmail-dot-com"

But...can he cook...? ;)

Bob Pauli
01-17-2013, 10:55 PM
Gene, Kush:
Thank you.
Bob

SanFranFlyFish
01-19-2013, 07:38 AM
I just asked one of the [now former] Carron Speycasting Team members when they planned to arrive in SF for Spey-o-Rama. I was surprised to learn that the Carron team had been disbanded by the company's owner some time last year.

As many who have attended Spey-o-Rama can attest, the Carron Team was perhaps the single best promotional activity a rod & line company could have sponsored. Their skill and sportsmanship is second to none. I wish all the former team members the best, and hope to see them again soon - on a river or in a casting competition, like this year's SOR.

fisshman26
01-20-2013, 10:11 PM
(I was surprised to learn that the Carron team had been disbanded by the company's owner some time last year.)

This answers a lot of questions for me, I am a little more than surprised try shocked, very sad news indeed, now I know why I can't get hold of certain team members in the UK.
I was part of the team and it would have been nice of them to at least say a simple thank you for my efforts it isn't too difficult just plain manners, maybe even make some sort of announcement on their website, clearly the team was their only effective marketing tool.
The guys and girls they had on their team had a wealth of experience , were super talented and very helpful ,a sheer pleasure to be around and very popular, they made many people converts to the brand. I wish my former team mates all the best and sincerely hope to see them all again competing in the future, hopefully in Sanfrancisco.

Kluev
01-21-2013, 05:22 AM
This is news like a bomb. Carron is a unique team of team!!! She looked up to the sky Super throws the Spey. A unique design in the lines and rods plus search progressive Technics of throws have shown all the bar which we see the world. James Chalmers a unique man, a coach, an athlete, a designer .... His friends Gerard Downey, Ruairi Costello, Andrew Toft,Gordon Armstrong is a space not real people, athletes, friends who set many world records. I hope we all meet and soon the world will know the news from top officials. A pitty that such events have occurred. But everyone in the world is changing, nothing stands still. Perhaps there will soon be another opening in the Spey technique. See you soon.

SanFranFlyFish
01-23-2013, 12:12 PM
Bob Pauli is looking for a few good men and women.

To Prospective Water Warriors IV:

It is time for another Water Warrior pond cleaning party. Please give GGACC a day, or part of a day, on Monday, March 18, 2013, beginning at 7:30 AM. We'll have coffee and rolls for pre-cleaning nourishment and a terrific lunch at the finish, which is usually no later than 12:30 PM.

If you are new to GGACC, come join the fun. Get to play with genuine San Francisco Fire Department nozzles and blast a year's worth of sediment and debris out of our beautiful facility. We'll be sweeping, hosing, shoveling, wheelbarrowing and pumping the ponds clean. If you are new to this party, you'll be interested in knowing that the job used to take several days, but since Nick Strelchuk brought the idea of an 8-inch capacity pump to the ponds, job time has diminished greatly. Last year we finished just at lunch time.

Please volunteer to help beautify our club for April's Spey O Rama, the World Championship of Spey, and for the rest of the year. When you see the club ponds' sparkling turquoise color you'll be proud you contributed.

If you can help out, send Bob a PM or post a reply here.

Mike & Dot Callan
Richard Stevens
Phillip Mar
Aaron Enz
Nick Curcione
Gordon Rokes
Armando Bernasconi
Jerry Curtis
Richard Yerian
Rick Gordon
Ed Marlatt
Stuart Weinstein
Simon Yu
Michael Parsons
Scotty Boyd
Dr. Larry Murphy
Jim Mongillo
John Kenaston
Gerald Saltzgaber
Ricardo Nunez
Alan M Shepp
Steve Marks
Martin Murray
Mike Downing
Tom Gong
Gunard Mahl
Bob Pauli
Roger Mascio
Craig Dennis
Bill Gallogly
Mehrdad Saberi
Victor Yee
Glen Nagumo
Larry Kenney
plus two more I was unable to identify from the group photo (apologies for that)

Kluev
01-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Guys thanks a lot. You are the best. You make this feast for the whole world. Thank you!!!!!!!!

Bob Pauli
01-31-2013, 02:28 PM
GGACC will have a TV broadcast of Spey O Rama 2013 on CBS internet. Last year was our first such, and this year will be better.

We'll also have a live interactive board as part of the broadcast to answer questions from the audience during the event.

It will be bitchin'.

donnao
01-31-2013, 11:14 PM
Great work Bob, way to go!! :chuckle:

SanFranFlyFish
02-01-2013, 01:23 PM
An unnamed Valkyrie (not Anita) told me that a knörr is being outfitted to bring a host of fierce Norwegian casters to San Francisco, including:

Anita Strand,
Øyvind Strand(senior div),
Knut Ekelund,
Eirik H Larsen,
Øystein Hveding,
Geir Hansen and
Tommy Aarkvisla

Bring it on!

SanFranFlyFish
02-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Looking for a Few (More) Good Sponsors

The GGACC SOR committee would be very grateful if we could get a sponsor or two for the Spey-o-Rama Thursday Nite Dinner and the Competitor's Breakfast. Good Samaritans can contact me or SOR Chairman John Till.

SanFranFlyFish
02-01-2013, 01:58 PM
GGACC Needs SOR Competitors' Email Addresses

Hey guys/gals. SOR needs to update our email address lists. Could you PM me your current email address or email it to SOR Chairman John Till.

Thanks.

SanFranFlyFish
02-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Shinobu Inoue, Hidekazu (Shyuithi) Hori, Kanjiro Nakao and Hiro Yazaki.

Kanjiro Nakao will be in the Seniors Division.

我々は、これらの優れたフライ漁師を歓迎します。

Wareware wa, korera no sugureta furai ryōshi o kangei shimasu.

(I hope this is a proper welcome :) )

SanFranFlyFish
02-03-2013, 11:24 AM
‎------ NOTICE TO 2013 Speyorama COMPETITORS -------

We would like to have your applications ASAP, so that you are provided with all the information and updates as they occur, also so that we can be sure your name appears in the official roster of competitors.

If you have not yet submitted your Competitor application, please contact the 2013 SOR Chairman, John Till via email (johnctill @ comcast . net) and let him know you plan to compete this year. He will send you the necessary Application Form (PDF and/or WordDoc file).

Competitor applications and information can also be found at http://speyorama.com

If you are pretty certain that you will be participating, but have not yet submitted your application, send John a note or post a PM to me, just so that we can have a rough head count and plan clinics and demonstrations.

I'm not mentioning names, but I know of at least 3 or 4 folks who definitely plan to compete, from whom we have not yet received entry applications.

Thanks for your help and cooperation.

Splake
02-03-2013, 04:13 PM
People have been asking "who is on the Ballistic Casting Team?"; to answer, the team this year is made up of my pro-staffers Tommy Aarkvisla, Anita M. Strand, Knut Kåsine Ekelund, and myself.

Good friends, great casters, and very Norwegian!

Looking forward to April and the event.

SanFranFlyFish
02-03-2013, 04:24 PM
‎Ruairi Costello says "Spey-o-rama is the SuperBowl of Spey Casting!"

Who am I to argue with a guy who can outcast me by 50 feet?

Splake
02-03-2013, 11:58 PM
"Good on ya", Ruairi!

SanFranFlyFish
02-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Brian Styskal posted this on Facebook. I'm reposting here. Hope he doesn't mind.

‎2013 SOR NEXTCAST TEAM

Greg Bencivenga, Gene Oswald, Simon Heish, Jim Ansite, Geir Hansen, Brian Styskal. So far! All great guys, great casters, well except for myself I'm a horrible caster these days and a hell raising heathen at times but its cool they let me hang out. If Jim brings me that kilt things could get interesting real quick!

BURKHEIMER TEAM

So far, the Burkheimer line up for SOR 2013 is Mr Greg Bencivenga , Mr Tommy Aarkvisla, and yours truly. Team captain Nate, and the man, the legend Kerry Burkheimer. Something to note is team Burkheimer is not exclusive to the names mentioned above, far from it, without the support of our customers we would not be designing and building competition rods. So a huge thank you goes out to all who are fishing the rods and keepin the Mojo alive.

Molly Spey
02-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Saturday, at Center Pond, it was getting quite busy with casters attempting to get in some practice. Saw some new rods along with a jumble of lines being cut and spliced. The casts weren't to bad either. Not bad for a short walk ! Looks like it's going to be another great year with the competition getting even stiffer.

Molly Spey
02-06-2013, 03:12 AM
The wall and walk way were beat up pretty good today!(Tuesday) The yarn didn't see much water. Whitney had showed up to work on a line with my Uncle from the south bay and put on quite a performance. She has seriously stepped up to the next level in her casting even with a new line. Then, when she grabbed Uncle's 11 Wt. Bruce and Walker, all hell broke loose. The yarn didn't just land on the wall. It was on top of it consistently and over it. Uncle didn't do to bad himself. Like I said, the concrete took a beating. It is going to be a incredible Spey O Rama. The casting just keeps getting better.

Bob Pauli
02-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Molly,
Do I hear 60, 70, 80?

Molly Spey
02-07-2013, 07:33 PM
James does not have anything on me when it comes to spies! I was talking to my cousin Polly who lives in County Clare; she told this fellow is out practicing on the shore of Lough Derg every calm day for hours. She sent along a picture. Supposedly, he's in area 51, but I don't know if that is a joke on her part. He says he coming to SOR, but she would not tell me his name or age. This could get interesting !!!!

SanFranFlyFish
02-07-2013, 08:58 PM
...I was talking to my cousin Polly who lives in County Clare....

Would that be Polly O'Spey?

Simon Hsieh
02-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Just spot this thread. Doug you got missed out. The whole Team Nextcast is coming for SOR2013.

Team NEXTCAST members are:

Greg Bencivenga
Gene Oswald
Jim Ansite
Geir Hansen
Brian Styskal
Doug Duncan
and Simon Hsieh

We are ok casters and working hard (casting 24 hours a day most of time), trying to take the left over spots by Boys of the Sun, Scotish boys, Vikins and Russian casters. John and Craig do we still need to fill up the application?

Brian Styskal posted this on Facebook. I'm reposting here. Hope he doesn't mind.

‎2013 SOR NEXTCAST TEAM

Greg Bencivenga, Gene Oswald, Simon Heish, Jim Ansite, Geir Hansen, Brian Styskal. So far! All great guys, great casters, well except for myself I'm a horrible caster these days and a hell raising heathen at times but its cool they let me hang out. If Jim brings me that kilt things could get interesting real quick!

BURKHEIMER TEAM

So far, the Burkheimer line up for SOR 2013 is Mr Greg Bencivenga , Mr Tommy Aarkvisla, and yours truly. Team captain Nate, and the man, the legend Kerry Burkheimer. Something to note is team Burkheimer is not exclusive to the names mentioned above, far from it, without the support of our customers we would not be designing and building competition rods. So a huge thank you goes out to all who are fishing the rods and keepin the Mojo alive.

Kluev
02-08-2013, 02:40 PM
See you soon :-)

graun4
02-19-2013, 06:08 PM
James does not have anything on me when it comes to spies! I was talking to my cousin Polly who lives in County Clare; she told this fellow is out practicing on the shore of Lough Derg every calm day for hours. She sent along a picture. Supposedly, he's in area 51, but I don't know if that is a joke on her part. He says he coming to SOR, but she would not tell me his name or age. This could get interesting !!!!That is a interesting picture Molly, what is the guy watching on the shore line ? is he marking where the wool is landing.

fisshman26
02-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Martin......Polly said that the guy on the shore marking the wool was not out far enough to see the wool:smokin:

graun4
03-04-2013, 07:13 PM
6 weeks to go Bruce :smokin::smokin:

Splake
03-12-2013, 11:12 PM
I know you casters are making the final tweaks and perfecting your techniques during these final weeks;

May the best boy or girl or greybeard win, we are all in, and ready for the swim to the special place in center pond;

Where memories are made, casts are laid and tributes are paid;

But being there with friends fond, we hold fast to the bond of silent memories we share at the submerged white rail in center pond.

We are already winners; just do your best and nothing less.

See you soon my friends!

Kluev
03-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Soon, a team of Russian show prizes have prepared the most talented and the best our guys.

thegrappler
03-15-2013, 10:08 AM
Lee

Bring me on and there will be a Sweed among the Norsk :hihi:

/Tomas

People have been asking "who is on the Ballistic Casting Team?"; to answer, the team this year is made up of my pro-staffers Tommy Aarkvisla, Anita M. Strand, Knut Kåsine Ekelund, and myself.

Good friends, great casters, and very Norwegian!

Looking forward to April and the event.

Splake
03-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Hi Tomas,
The Sweeds are really a casting powerhouse; we need more of them at SOR!

Lee

Bring me on and there will be a Sweed among the Norsk :hihi:

/Tomas

thegrappler
03-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Sure we do and we are not that well represented among the casting comunity. My hope is that we can put a good package together and spar with you guys in the near future.

/T

Hi Tomas,
The Sweeds are really a casting powerhouse; we need more of them at SOR!

SanFranFlyFish
03-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Remember, tomorrow the ponds are scheduled for cleaning.

If you haven't signed up, but are available and would like to help, come on down.

7:30am until NOON

Lunch will be provided for all volunteers.

Kluev
03-17-2013, 11:52 AM
Guys you are great workers. My head falls to the people who are waiting for us. Dream to come to you. Miss.

SanFranFlyFish
03-20-2013, 12:26 PM
(Excerpted from the May 2010 GGACC Bulletin)

Jimmy Green’s Spey Casting Games
byTripp Diedrichs

"In the late 1990’s, Jimmy Green’s quest was to devise a Spey casting game for Steelhead fishers who were adapting to fishing with two-handed rods. He and his wife, Carol, had already introduced three tournament casting games adopted by the American Casting Association which were designed to develop and improve fly fishing skills (Trout Fly Accuracy, Bass Bug Accuracy and Anglers Fly Distance).

Jimmy’s challenge was that it is almost impossible to measure a Spey cast in the steelhead waters where he lived.

Initially, Jimmy’s objective was to load the line on water and place the line and fly on dry land so that the distance of the cast could be measured. In the fall of 1997, this concept was tested in Clarkston, Washington, the site of the first tournament. Marlow Bumpus organized volunteers to build a large pond and the Clarkston Fire Department filled it with water.

Casters were able to get the line to load on the water and cast across the pond onto the grass. A strong, favorable wind resulted in everyone getting phenomenal distance, but that first tournament solution was “just not right.” Standing at the edge, rather than in the pond, did not sufficiently simulate Spey casting conditions.

Sitting around the table that night, Marlow remembers Jimmy asking Al Buhr to figure out how to load a line on grass and within a few hours, Al came up with the Buhr leader, known now as the grass leader. Jimmy asked Marlow to set up a tournament the next spring to cast on grass, which evolved into an annual spring event in Henry Miller Steelhead Park on the banks of the Skagit River in Rockport, Washington and a fall event held on a high school football field in Asotin, Washington. The grass leader expanded flexibility in locating sites for the games, but still was “just not right” in replicating Spey casts.

Ultimately, Jimmy built a pond where casters could wade in and cast. In 2001, Jimmy completed a suitable pond on a flat area below his home overlooking the Grande Ronde River. Finally, his Spey casting games could be held on water and all distance events could be measured to one-tenth of an inch. By experimenting with different rods and lines, in various combinations, he hoped to determine the rod action and line best suited for a given type of cast. That was his lifetime pursuit.

Since his death in March, 2004, Jimmy’s Spey casting games have been memorialized by The Jimmy Green Memorial Fly Casting Competition held in Monroe, Washington and the Golden Gate Angling & Casting Club’s Spey-O-Rama. Both of these events are cast on water and each draws hundreds of contestants and spectators."

SanFranFlyFish
03-20-2013, 12:30 PM
The winner of the 2005 event, Scott McKenzie had an average of 132' for his four casts.
In 2010, Gordon Armstrong averaged 145' to win SOR.
Gerard Downey, the 2012 winner, averaged 170' for his four casts.

Remember, it's not about distance, it's about having fun with good friends. :chuckle:

But, who will be the 2013 SOR Winner with a 17_' casting average?

SanFranFlyFish
03-22-2013, 04:45 PM
James Chalmers posted the following comment on the Facebook Spey-o-rama page. I thought it was worth reposting. (Hope James doesn't mind)

"2012 SOR produced the finest distance speycasting ever witnessed at any competition in the world, the progress is simply staggering.The main reason for this is that the GGACC have set the standard so high that others need to follow, they provide a fantastic facility, clear concise rules,consistent wading depths & angles changes year on year.This has allowed competitors the opportunity to practice for the best competition in the world knowing exactly what they will face when they arrive and have the tackle to take on the challenge.

SOR itself has taken tackle design, development and technique to a whole new level, that in itself is called progress and all this filters down into the average fishermans kit these days.I will certainly be more comfortable with the tackle I will use in 2013 opposed to the tackle I used in 2005.

I really do hope to see the 'Time Machine' scores scenario Craig speaks of increasing again this year but as Gordon rightly says the weather at the ponds can be fickle and thats crucial to consistent scoring.The other important factor that must be taken into consideration is that you only have 6 minutes to acheive 3 casts in four different disciplines under exteme pressure.

My forecast would be, if anyone can cast 4 x 150s consistently will be in with a good chance of getting to the finals, and if they can repeat this under greater pressure in the finals who knows what might happen. The one thing that I do know for certain is the the GGACC Spey O Rama event is the Superbowl of Speycasting."

Kluev
03-24-2013, 03:27 AM
SOR is a unique competition. This event of global scale, which come from all over the world. The magic atmosphere of the place makes to come and visit. Thanks to the organizers, you best. This event to which gotovât′sâ the entire year dedicated people. A very difficult competition, the weather is changing rapidly and you need luck.:-)James said at 100%. But this year, declares the???? Ask forgiveness for your English.

SanFranFlyFish
03-29-2013, 03:46 PM
2013 Spey-O-Rama Competitors

(Updated April 21th)

Women's
Kara Knight, Revelstoke, BC
Donna O’Sullivan, San Francisco, California
Mia Sheppard, Brightwood, Oregon
Marcy Stone, Rhododendron, Oregon
Anita Maria Strand, Holmestrand, Norway

Men's
Tommy Aarkvisla, Horten, Norway
Jim Ansite, Park City, Utah
Tim Arsenault, Surrey, BC
Franco Blanchet, Squamish, BC
Gregory Bencivenga, Quincy, WA
James Chalmers, Glasgow, Scotland
Ruairi Costello, County Clare, Ireland
Gerard Downey, Foxford, County Mayo, Ireland
Doug Duncan, Sacramento, CA
Knut Kåsine Ekelund, Holmestrand, Norway
Geir Hansen, Bergen, Norway
Robert Hesse, Costa Mesa, CA
Øystein Hveding, Lillehammer, Norway
Hidekazu Hori, Teshikaa, Japan
Simon Hsieh, Sebastopol, CA
Shinobu Inoue, Minamiarupusu-shi, Yamanashi, Japan
Travis Johnson, Tygh Valley, Oregon
Martin Kiely, County Limmerick, Ireland
Sergey Kluev, Moscow, Russia
Yuta Kobayashi, Saku, Japan
Bruce Kruk, Trail, BC
Andrei Lebdev, Russia
Markus Leivo, Lappeenranta, Finland ( and San Francisco, CA)
Hirabayashi Masanobu, Matsumoto-shi, Nagano, Japan
Brian Niska, Squamish, BC
Vasily Olshannikov, Russia
Gene Oswald, Lakewood, Washington
Charles St. Pierre, Tacoma, Washington
Brian Styskal, Issaquah, Washington
Vadim Utrobin, St. Petersburg, Russia
Zack Williams, Gig Harbor, WA
Hiroshi Yazaki, Yamanashi, Japan

Senior's
Frank Chen, Sunnyvale, CA
Lee Davidson, Rigby, Idaho
Ed Filice, Templeton, CA
Tyler Kushnir, Delta, BC
Glen Nagumo, San Jose, CA
Kanjiro Nakao, Seto, Japan
Bill Rogers, Monroe, WA
Michael Stanley, Bakersfield, CA
Øyvind Strand, Holmestrand, Norway
Loc Vetter, Salem, Oregon

If you name is not on the list (and you have registered), or if information is incorrect, please let me know.

If you plan to compete, but haven't registered yet, PLEASE REGISTER.

SanFranFlyFish
03-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Spey-o-rama would not take place without the help and support of dozens of volunteers and sponsors. GGACC and the SOR competitors would like to take this opportunity to thank them all.

(I did not intentionally leave anyone out, but we could have missed naming a number of folks who are helping make the 2013 Spey-o-Rama a great success)

In no particular order thanks go out to:

GGACC has authorized $2,400 to purchase all of the dinner materials for Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights
- Jamie Lyle of Sage has forwarded a check for $200 to sponsor the Thursday night dinner.
- TFO contributed $600 to sponsor the Saturday night dinner. (Nick Curcione will be master of ceremonies and solicited TFO's support for the Saturday night dinner plus TFO is donating a rod of choice for the auction)
- Leland FlyFishing Outfitters is contributing $200 toward the Sunday lunch and sponsoring several lunches.

Bruce Olson at Umpqua Feather Merchants - 1 Ledges 650 waist packs. $130 retail value.

Ed Filice is supplying wine for the Thursday night dinner. 1 case of La Filice Wine. A outstanding value at $288.

Jim Ansite of Sport Kilt is donating the services of a bagpiper.

Jeff Putnam is donating a spey lesson and a DVD for auction.

Bob Pauli and Tom Keelin will be providing a real time internet, etc. display as they did last year—actual cost is $300.

The California Fly Shop will be purchasing, cooking, serving and cleaning up for the Saturday lunch.

Gerry Saltzgaber and his crew will be picking up breakfast for Friday Saturday and Sunday, serving the meals and cleaning up after the breakfasts are over.

Bob Pauli and approximately 30 volunteers clean the ponds.

Lee Davidson and his crew will be making certain that the grounds and club are clean each morning of the event; Brian Niska and his crew will make certain that the grounds and club are clean at night.

Sandi Kushnir has agreed to keep things organized and neat during the day, including assisting with the casting contests. Lee Davidson’s wife, Nancy, will provide able assistance and support where needed.

SanFranFlyFish
03-30-2013, 10:47 PM
I have it on good authority that the Russians have begun their sojourn to San Francisco. Allegedly, the center sled contains a cask of vodka for the trip. :chuckle:

Kluev
04-02-2013, 01:59 AM
"MAD RUSHKIES" team features works of the best Russian and Estonian flytiers - Sergey Fesko, Ivan Butko and Mihail Kramarenko. These prizes are for the 1st places of each competition group. We hope that the winners would enjoy the works of our local craftsmen, so these flies would add a nice touch to their home interiors. The battle is to the strong!

Kluev
04-02-2013, 02:01 AM
1 place Women's

Kluev
04-02-2013, 02:03 AM
1 place Men's

Kluev
04-02-2013, 02:04 AM
1 place Senior's

Kluev
04-02-2013, 02:10 AM
1 place Senior's

SanFranFlyFish
04-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Latest report from Area 51.

This past weekend there was some Paranormal Activity reported. Something green is happening and it isn't St. Paddy's Day . More to follow.

Kluev
04-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Green???? New in history???

dutch cornelis
04-03-2013, 03:45 PM
want to come this year, to busy, next year i,m sure i,m there on SOR.
next year there is muche for the casters, not only SOR.
can i learn some things from the masters of the spey.

have nice days in San Francisco too.

DC

lsteinb
04-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Kluev,
Those are gorgeous ties in handsome settings. They would light up any room.
Best,
lsteinb

SanFranFlyFish
04-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Latest report from Area 51.

This past weekend there was some Paranormal Activity reported. Something green is happening and it isn't St. Paddy's Day . More to follow.

I know that Martin Kiely has tried to post the following, but for some reason it doesn't show up on Speypages:

....graun4 has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to....

"That will be them Irish leprechauns at it again Craig.

Who Are The Leprechauns of Ireland?

As part of Irish mythology and folklore the Leprechauns are part of our faerie folk, called by some as the “wee folk”. As a cousin of the clurichaun they are known to inhabited Ireland well before the arrival of the Gaels & Celts.

Small enough for one to sit comfortable on your shoulder they are very smartly dressed in small suits with green waist coats, hats and buckled shoes, favourite colour is green.

As mischievous and intelligent folk they are general harmless to the general population in Ireland, although they are known to play the odd trick on fishermen and the local population of villages and towns.

Keep an eye open for one at a venue near you shortly Craig.

SanFranFlyFish
04-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Our 2013 Speyorama Contributing Sponsors include:

Shasta Trout,
Sarcione Manufacturing Co.,
Snake River Outfitters,
TFO,
Guideline,
Sage,
La Filice Winery,
Waterworks/Lamson,
Beulah Fly Rods,
Adams Angling,
Volcano Fly Rods,
D B Rods and Reels,
Thomas and Thomas Rodmakers, Inc.,
Hal Jansen,
Jeff Bright,
E K Outdoors,
R. B. Meiser Rods
RIO,
Horseshoe Bar Preserve,
Patagonia,
Loomis,
Burkheimer Rods,
Andersen Custom Rods,
California Fly Shop,
Don Labbe,
Japan Casting Association,
Allen Fly Fishing,
Nextcast,
Pieroway Rod Company,
and those Mad Rushkies.

SanFranFlyFish
04-05-2013, 07:21 PM
GGACC would like to fly flags representing the countiees of our competitors.

The best size would be approximately 24 or 25 inches top to bottom and 37 or 38 inches side to side.

They should absolutely be NO BIGGER than 3 feet by 5 feet. (36" by 60")

If you have a flag that you could bring to SOR, please contact John Till, the 2013 Speyorama Chairman, or send me a PM.

Bob Pauli
04-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Due to major business demand, our TV and scoring guru is unable to take a week away from work to prepare for the live internet TV broadcast.

However he will have the full electronic scoring systems up and running for SOR.

Bob

SanFranFlyFish
04-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Tentative 2013 SOR SCHEDULE posted.

http://www.spey-o-rama.com/schedule.htm

dutch cornelis
04-12-2013, 12:58 PM
Hi , we have SOR worldchampionship spey, olso worldchampionship fllycasting like Fagernes in 2012, ICSF.
so the winner WC spey is ? SOR or the other ?
we have olso flycasting WC like in Europe mostly in Tsjechië republik,but this
games is other than we do, with self mate rods,olso with lines from over 100 grams.
meaby olso e strange question from my,can be.

DC

SanFranFlyFish
04-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Speyorama dinners on Friday night April 19, 2013 and Saturday night April 20, 2013 ....

will be presold this year to persons who are not participants in the if the event.

SOR competitors will receive dinners at no additional cost.

Any person interested in coming to the Friday and/or Saturday night dinner may buy the dinner by using PayPal or a credit card on the GGACC.Org website. Any person who is not a participant in the event or who does not pre-purchase a dinner ticket, will be charged $30. If a person does not pre-purchase a dinner ticket, there is no guarantee that there will be adequate food for their dinner. Presale dinner tickets will not be available after April 15, 2013 at 5 PM.

Both the Friday and Saturday night dinners will include a commercially cooked meal -- the dinners will include salad, dessert, etc. The dinner for Friday night will be barbecued pork and the dinner for Saturday night will be leg of lamb.

The advance purchase price of each nite's dinner is $25.

Friday Nite Dinner Pre-purchase page

http://ggacc.org/p/ViewEvent.aspx?eid=436

Saturday Nite Dinner Pre-purchase page:

http://ggacc.org/p/ViewEvent.aspx?eid=568

Bob Pauli
04-12-2013, 07:46 PM
We need two more volunteer instructors.

Wednesday morning, April 17, 2013, is GGACC Member Training Day with the Spey O Rama Pros. The following eleven generous SOR participants have offered to help GGACC members refine their casting technique.

Lee Davison
Anita Strand
Knut Ekelund
Tommy Aarkvisla
Bruce Kruk
Travis Johnson
Tim Arsenault
Brian Styskal
Jim Ansite
Gene Oswald
Tyker Kushnir

I need two more competitors to train GGACC members.

Please report to me at 8:15 AM Wednesday morning by the demonstration pedestal.

Many thanks.
Bob

Bob Pauli
04-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Member Training Day, Wednesday, April 17, from 8:15 AM to noon is for GGACC Trainees.

Because of the intense nature of this competition and the need for scarce practice time, there has been an unpleasant aggressiveness by certain competitors to co-opt one or more training positions on Member Day, thus denying our regular members a chance to spend time with the "Pros."

Please remember that on Wednesday morning between 8:15 AM and noon, the ponds belong to me in trust for GGACC members trying improve their casting. I'll appreciate SOR competitors not co-opting any practice space for any reason.

Many thanks,
Bob Pauli

donnao
04-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Here are some photos of my evening with Tommy Aarkvisla, Geir Hansen, Gene Oscald, Michael Stanley, and Dimitri.

Lines orange and green were flying, many over the wall!

This will be a great Spey-O-Rama :-)

SanFranFlyFish
04-15-2013, 01:28 PM
CASTING COMPETITION RULES 2013

The rules for 2013 are largely unchanged from the 2012 rules except as noted below.

A new division, Senior Men, was established in 2012; the division has now been changed to include any person 55 years or older.
o Age qualification for the senior division is 55 years or older.
o Any person meeting the age qualification can opt to compete in the Senior Division or the Men’s Division (not in both) and must register as such before competition begins. And likewise, any woman meeting the age qualification can opt to compete in the Senior Division or the Women’s Division (not in both) and must register as such before competition begins.

There are now three (3) specific divisions, to wit, Men's Unlimited Division, Women's Unlimited Division and the Senior Division for persons 55 years old or older

We will have additional officials on the banks to verify and record the scores. This should make for more precise distance measurements, as suggested by the competitors.

Spey Casting Competition--Unlimited Men's Division

Equipment

Rod: Can be any make or manufacturer
The rod shall not be longer than 15’1”

Line: Floating synthetic line, either full line or shooting head. No restrictions on running line.

Leader: 9 foot minimum, 15 foot maximum.

Fly: Will be supplied

** Equipment check will be performed prior to casting by the competitor for both the qualifying and final rounds. The line shall float on the surface of the water for 30 seconds or (sinking lines go farther due to smaller diameter) and the Fly shall be the fly as originally issued by GGACC and shall not be trimmed.

Required casts
Casters can use whatever cast they choose in four situations:
Line from the right – over right shoulder and over left shoulder Line from the left – over right shoulder and over left shoulder

Casting rules
Change of direction will be set by markers at about 40 degrees (same as
2010)
Caster will be in water – about 3 feet deep
There will be a barrier 33 feet behind the caster. No penalty for hitting it, but
it will affect the cast
Fly must anchor in front of caster
If Perry Poke used, only one “dump” allowed per cast and fly may not leave
water on “dump”.
Perry Poke (or similar casts using a “dump” or “poke”) can only be used with
lines of head length up to 55’, measured from tip of line to start of level
running line.
Once a cast is begun, it counts as a scoring cast.
An inadvertent “extra” cast in a required category will not be counted against
the caster’s allowed casts in any other category, but will use the caster’s time.

The Competition
Qualifying will be held on Saturday morning with top 10 casters going to finals on Sunday morning.
Casting order by random draw for qualifying and final rounds.

Casters (or representative) must be present for the random draw.

Qualifying
• 3 casts each for the 4 required casts. Score is total of best distances for each of the 4 required casts.
• 2 minute warm-up, time starts once caster steps in the water
• Time limit is 6 minutes for the 12 required casts

Finals
• 3 casts each for the 4 required casts. Score is total of best distances for each of the 4 required casts.
• 2 minute warm-up, time starts once caster steps in the water
• Time limit is 6 minutes for the 12 required casts
Friday practice time (20 min) at official casting station can be reserved by signup.

Women's Unlimited Division
The Women's Unlimited Division will have the same rules as the Men's Unlimited Division, with exceptions noted below:

The casting station for women will be at the 50 foot mark in the pool, 20 feet farther forward than the casting station for men. The time allotted for practice, shall not start until the caster reaches her casting station in the pond.

We will have separate markers for line placement to start the casts, so the angle change will be exactly the same as for men.

The time allotted to women, shall commence when they get to the casting station.

Note: The purpose and effect of this one rule difference is to make the water shallower (6-7") to compensate for the differences in height between men and women.

Tie-breakers
In the event of a tie for any place, the tie will be broken by totaling each competitor’s second best casts in each of the four categories; if a tie still exists, it will be broken by totaling each competitor's third best casts in each of the four categories.

Perry Poke
We want to include all styles of casting as they continue to evolve through the efforts of innovative casters. Jimmy Green was not a traditionalist, but an innovator who encouraged and invented better equipment, casting techniques and fishing methods. Skagit casting, using compact heavy heads, is not only an effective casting and fishing style, but was developed with help from Jimmy over a decade ago. We are therefore deliberately including Skagit-style casts and equipment in this competition.

We will allow the Perry Poke (or similar casts involving a “dump” or “poke” of line to the water) to be used only with Skagit-type equipment, which means short heads, 55’ or under. This will not allow a “poke” with longer headed lines, which could distort the competition to emphasize switch casts over all others.

Glen Nagumo Chief Judge

Rule Amendment—Fun Competition
The “Spey for Trout” competition held again and it will be all for fun
o Three person teams (Fly Shops, Rod/Reel/Line Manufacturers, Clubs - team members may be recruited)
o Maximum 12.5 ft Rod Length (must be available off-the-shelf)
o Floating line required – any type (must be available off-the-shelf)
o Any type Spey cast technique, but must employ an anchor
o Three targets at 50, 65 & 80 ft, one cast at each target
o Casting order determined by draw
o Team with highest accuracy score wins

SanFranFlyFish
04-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Thank you, Speyorama Volunteers

It takes a lot of people to make Speyorama 2013 a success. Following are just some of the folks who are helping to make it happen (more names are being added to the list as I write).

1. George Revel
2. Jeanine Mahl
3. Gunard Mahl
4. Nick Strelchuk
5. Gerry Saltzgber
6. Tim Riley
7. Nick Curcione
8. Matt Huey
9. Larry Watanabe
10. Victor Lee
11. Dick Yearin
12. Rob Portil
13. George Nikitin
14. Armando Bernasconi
15. Joe Sweeny
16. Christine Fong
17. Glen Nugamo
18. Tom Keelin
19. Bob Pauli
20. Craig Sharrow
21. John C. Till
22. Kari Olsen
23. Gordon Rokes
24. Alice Gilibert
25. Larry Kenny
26. Ricardo Nunez
27. Sandi Kushner
28. Nancy Davidson
29. Ziggie { what is your last name?}
30. Phil Mar
31. George Sundby
32. Pete Griffith
33. John Peterson
34. Steve Godshall
35. Jonathan Mahl
36. Gabriela Mahl
37. All the Water Warriors
38. Food Servers and Cleanup Crew

Bob Pauli
04-16-2013, 01:36 AM
Craig,
I can't let "All the Water Warriors" stand. This was a big time physical effort by some three dozen GGACC members that deserve mention by name.

Rouel Herico, George Revel, Jim Mongillo
Nick Curcione, Richard Yerian, Rick Gordon
Kirby Franklin, Larry Murphy, Mike Callan
Jerry Curtis, Jerry Saltzgaber, Simon Yu
Greg Trindle, Steve Marks, Ricardo Nunez
Nick Strelchuk, Larry Kenney, Michael Krasnobrod
Ed Marlatt, Fabian Stauback, Geoff Motlow
Roger Mascio, Stu Felker, Victor Yee
Willy George, Mike Downing, Thom Jaquysh
Armando Bernasconi, Gordon Rokes, Joe Sweeney
Philip Mar, Frank Moore, Glen Nagumo
+ a few others who arrived to help without "pre-registering" as a volunteer.
It is the work of these fine GGACC members that makes this effort fun.
Thanks to Ricardo Nunez for doing a fine job of feeding our Warriors and the Rec & Park Dept. employees. Rick was assisted by Nick Strelchuk and Glen Nagumo. Thanks to Michael Krasnobrod for taking professional photos of the event.

speyforsteel
04-16-2013, 07:23 AM
We need two more volunteer instructors.

Wednesday morning, April 17, 2013, is GGACC Member Training Day with the Spey O Rama Pros. The following eleven generous SOR participants have offered to help GGACC members refine their casting technique.

Lee Davison
Anita Strand
Knut Ekelund
Tommy Aarkvisla
Bruce Kruk
Travis Johnson
Tim Arsenault
Brian Styskal
Jim Ansite
Gene Oswald
Tyker Kushnir

I need two more competitors to train GGACC members.

Please report to me at 8:15 AM Wednesday morning by the demonstration pedestal.

Many thanks.
Bob

You can sign me up for wed Bob.:D

SanFranFlyFish
04-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Craig,
I can't let "All the Water Warriors" stand. This was a big time physical effort by some three dozen GGACC members that deserve mention by name.

Bob, since I had no access to the list of WW, I was unable to post each person's name individually. That is why I noted that "my" list was incomplete and did not name every single person involved in helping to make Speyorama the success it has been for the past 10 years.

Thank you for naming all those great volunteers.

Rogue Angel k8
04-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Hi everyone, The Women of SOR this year participated in another interview with me that I have posted on my blog, Rogue Angels (http://www.rogueangels.net/2013/04/the-women-of-sor-2013.html). I hope you all enjoy reading about these extraordinary women as I have thoroughly appreciated working with them. And I am very grateful for their help and effort during such a busy time with the upcoming competition. I wish you all the best of luck at SOR this year and I hope everyone casts tremendously and has a great time.
Thanks so much,
-k8

xgolfman
04-16-2013, 07:02 PM
good ole K8!!!

SanFranFlyFish
04-17-2013, 12:10 AM
WIN 2 Days of Fishing Plus 1 Night's Stay for 4 Anglers

This raffle is being held to raise money in support of this year’s Spey O Rama.

Horseshoe Bar Preserve has generously donated 2 days of fishing with a 1 night stay on Horseshoe Bar Preserve’s private 5 mile stretch, of fly fishing only, water on the middle fork of the American River outside of Auburn, California.

Go to www.horseshoebarpreserve.com to learn more about this catch and release, members only property.

Horseshoe Bar Preserve President Tom Bartos will be at the SOR to answer questions or you can buy a raffle ticket now simply by going to the GGACC web site and selecting the SOR Special Raffle on the Events page.

http://ggacc.org/p/ViewEvent.aspx?eid=569

Tickets are $25 (more than 1 ticket may be purchased).
*Buy 4 tickets and we will add a bonus ticket to improve your chances of winning*

You do not need be a GGACC member or attend the SOR to participate in the raffle. The winning ticket will be drawn, and the winner notified on April 21.

This 2 day package has been valued at over $1750.00.

SanFranFlyFish
04-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Does anyone have any comments, kudos, anecdotes, bloopers, weather reports, observations, stories or photos they would like to share regarding the April 17th GGACC Members' Day speycasting program?

SanFranFlyFish
04-18-2013, 02:35 PM
On behalf of GGACC and its members, I would like to thank:

Tommy Aarkvisla,
Jim Ansite,
Tim Arsenault,
Greg Bencivenga,
Lee Davison,
Knut Ekelund,
Travis Johnson,
Bruce Kruk,
Tyler Kushnir,
Gene Oswald,
Anita Strand, and
Brian Styskal

for taking time out from their SOR practice schedules in order to share their knowledge and experience with our club members at the GGACC Members' Day Speycasting clinic.

sisyphusmpn
04-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Does anyone have any comments, kudos, anecdotes, bloopers, weather reports, observations, stories or photos they would like to share regarding the April 17th GGACC Members' Day speycasting program?

This is what Brian was doing the week before last instead of getting ready for the competition. Shame, Brian, shame...

speyforsteel
04-19-2013, 08:39 AM
It's good to bee here!
It's gone be a tough comp this year.
James Chalmers has his gang decked out with new rods,lines and outfits in force this year,I think his new outfit is called GEAFORCE,I haven't cast them but the gang seems to like the new stuff.
Lots of nice rods and lines this year.
Lots of competitors so a little less practice time this year.
Gene snores like a grizzly bear with a cold:Eyecrazy:
and Charles talks to himself I'm his sleep.
My work clock is in full force so I've been up for a bit and am about to wake up the the girls.

Bob Pauli
04-19-2013, 10:02 AM
Anita
Øyvind
Travis
Knut E
Lee
Gene
Brian
Tommy
Bruce
Tyler
Tim
Jim

Many thanks to you for generously sharing your knowledge and skill to improve GGACC's members' Spey casting. Your students universally reported that the 1-1/2 hours they spent with you was a highlight of their adventure into the world of double-handed casting.

It is my opinion that this year's Member Day was an improvement over past years because of better organization on GGACC's part. The pre-assignment of student/instructor/casting-station made things go more smoothly. Importantly, the one-on-one instructor to student ratio this year proved superior to the two-on-one we have tried in past years.

And...the weather was perfect, the ponds are clean...all is good at GGACC.

rhaknid
04-19-2013, 10:04 AM
Travis Johnson & Marcy Stone will be there with Team Gaelforce. Mark Bachmann and Patty Barnes (Owners of The Fly Fishing Shop FlyFishUSA.com) will be spectators.

We wish everyone a safe and successful trip!

Derek M Bachmann
Director of Web Marketing
The Fly Fishing Shop, Inc.
http://www.flyfishusa.com

fisshman26
04-19-2013, 10:07 AM
It's good to bee here!
It's gone be a tough comp this year.
James Chalmers has his gang decked out with new rods,lines and outfits in force this year,I think his new outfit is called GEAFORCE,I haven't cast them but the gang seems to like the new stuff.
Lots of nice rods and lines this year.
Lots of competitors so a little less practice time this year.
Gene snores like a grizzly bear with a cold:Eyecrazy:
and Charles talks to himself I'm his sleep.
My work clock is in full force so I've been up for a bit and am about to wake up the the girls.

Greg, it's either the haze from all the cigars or you need glasses but its 'Gaelforce' :smokin:

Roar
04-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Hi
Can we see the session on web cam like last year?

Roar

SanFranFlyFish
04-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Hi
Can we see the session on web cam like last year?

Roar

Sorry, GGACC/SOR aren't able to provide a live internet feed like last year, perhaps 2014.

Perhaps some of the competitors or spectators might post some video clips on

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Speyorama/

It's likely that flyfishingresearch.net will have 2013 info on competitors and results - at some point.

http://flyfishingresearch.net/speycasting/speyorama2012.html

I think I saw Tom Keelin talking with competitors yesterday, updating their biographies.

Tom says, "Though I cannot personally make the live-internet broadcast happen in 2013, I can and will do the electronic scoring (including its live real-time display on our club TV), and will also collect and post the “competitor program”, which includes bios and other information about the competitors and their equipment. Basically, my contribution to our 2013 event will be the same as it has been in previous years with exception of the live-internet portion."

Tom, thanks very much for the great work you do in keeping us up-to-date on the competitors and their performance.

yuhina
04-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Sorry, GGACC/SOR aren't able to provide a live internet feed like last year, perhaps 2014.

Perhaps some of the competitors or spectators might post some video clips on

It's likely that flyfishingresearch.net will have 2013 info on competitors and results - at some point.

http://flyfishingresearch.net/speycasting/speyorama2012.html

I think I saw Tom Keelin talking with competitors yesterday, updating their biographies.

Tom says, "Though I cannot personally make the live-internet broadcast happen in 2013, I can and will do the electronic scoring (including its live real-time display on our club TV), and will also collect and post the “competitor program”, which includes bios and other information about the competitors and their equipment. Basically, my contribution to our 2013 event will be the same as it has been in previous years with exception of the live-internet portion."

Tom, thanks very much for the great work you do in keeping us up-to-date on the competitors and their performance.

Craig,

Thanks for the effort!! The event is looking great!
Please shoot some videos!
Go Travis !! :)

SanFranFlyFish
04-20-2013, 11:05 PM
Dmitry Kochetov is posting near real-time results of the speycasting semi-finals Saturday and finals on Sunday.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36321426/sor2013/index.html

SanFranFlyFish
04-20-2013, 11:58 PM
For those who haven't yet heard, Gerard Downey delivered the longest cast of the Saturday Men's Qualification Round 187 feet (56.998 meters).

This is the longest cast made at any of the Speyorama competitions, and may be a new world's record for 15' speycasting (certainly casting in 36" deep water).

Congratulations Gerard!

yuhina
04-21-2013, 11:42 AM
For those who haven't yet heard, Gerard Downey delivered the longest cast of the Saturday Men's Qualification Round 187 feet (56.998 meters).

This is the longest cast made at any of the Speyorama competitions, and may be a new world's record for 15' speycasting (certainly casting in 36" deep water).

Congratulations Gerard!

Very cool! Craig

Did the rod tip hit the water? :)
If you guys are making DVD again, please let us know. I would love to buy one..

Mark

Jamey McLeod
04-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Dmitry Kochetov is posting near real-time results of the speycasting semi-finals Saturday and finals on Sunday.

Zack Williams listed as a Canadian? Did you defect buddy?

fishNphysician
04-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Taking a bit of a break from the eye surgeons convention in SFO to watch the speymasters

Hanson from Norway sent one 191 ft about half an hour ago.

Børre
04-21-2013, 04:50 PM
191 ft from Geir Hansen, fantastic !

tackleman
04-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Where can we see results for the ladies and senior men?

yuhina
04-21-2013, 05:26 PM
For those interested in seeing videos, Simon Gawesworth just post a video of Gerard's 184' cast on his facebook page... fantastic cast! :)

Børre
04-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Results.

speyforsteel
04-21-2013, 11:36 PM
Results.

I'm a Canadian now:Eyecrazy:

Speyirideus
04-22-2013, 12:16 PM
to GGACC for yet another outstanding Event. Kudos also to the many volunteers that work hard behind the scenes to keep things going. Have to also mention Bob Pauli and Tom Keelin, and their support staff for the excellent job with stat reporting. Congrats to the winners; truly stellar in all categories. I feel most fortunate to compete and share the experience with the great group of friendly, helpful participants. Again, Bravo Golden Gate Angling & Casting Club. Eagerly looking to 2014. Salute!
Ed Filice

Bob Pauli
04-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Tom Keelin posted all competitor information, including bios, gear, etc. along with results at

http://flyfishingresearch.net/speycasting/speyorama2013.html

Bob Pauli
04-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Photos from GGACC member Andy Wood

https://www.icloud.com/journal/#7;CAEQARoQY9Hm-xEADD9VSoVABimFMA;C18C39E1-5D0A-46A2-B754-F69FF5ED39D6

speyforsteel
04-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Practice started for SOR 2014!
Travis just landed a big 180.
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo186/yellowheap/0BB7CDAF-4779-4BFA-84D4-F3B1E2905B5A-2281-00000792F35CB532_zps5ca9928f.jpg

fredaevans
04-22-2013, 06:28 PM
I can't imagine making casts that long save I was standing on the edge of a cliff.

rivertooth
04-22-2013, 11:48 PM
Wonderful time this weekend and thanks again to the GGCC for hosting a top notch event and thank you Russian team, team Japan, Winsor Wine and Leroy Teeple for the beautiful gifts. The competition was great this year and everyone keeps pushing each other to get better, I'm honored to have competed with such spirited ladies. Here's some photos from the weekend, enjoy! Mia

rivertooth
04-22-2013, 11:56 PM
The spirit of SOR!:):):):):):):)

yuhina
04-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Great photos! Mia,

Congratulations! You guys are amazing!

speyforsteel
04-23-2013, 04:52 PM
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo186/yellowheap/FFA6CA49-1685-4820-A136-1168EBF62938-2622-000008D1986BD276_zps22c28635.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo186/yellowheap/ED5FD7F5-ECED-4E9F-80F4-CF176B286F60-2622-000008D1A58AF562_zps880a5b9c.jpg

fredaevans
04-23-2013, 04:58 PM
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo186/yellowheap/FFA6CA49-1685-4820-A136-1168EBF62938-2622-000008D1986BD276_zps22c28635.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo186/yellowheap/ED5FD7F5-ECED-4E9F-80F4-CF176B286F60-2622-000008D1A58AF562_zps880a5b9c.jpg

Too bad its a public park; a good Single Malt would have brought a lot to the party .... after the casting.:chuckle:

fredaevans
04-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Missed Bob's bio link above. Great read up on the casters and equipment. The new Gaelforce comp rod must be some bit o' kit. :eek:

Dmytro
04-24-2013, 01:38 AM
Started photo album on a Facebook, will add some more pictures tomorrow. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take proper pictures because of lack of time, will try to do my best next year.

Facebook photo album (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151421039319671.1073741825.785399670&type=1&l=df8ed7f399)

If there will be some problems with facebook album, I will post pictures directly here.

yuhina
04-24-2013, 08:23 AM
Those photos are so great!! thanks!

I wonder if there are videos that we can view online? :)

Kluev
04-24-2013, 11:40 PM
Thanks guys. This is the best place in the world!!!!!!! Thank you all for this wonderful holiday!!! See you in 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

speyforsteel
04-25-2013, 12:32 AM
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo186/yellowheap/DSCN0494_zps0a8445b5.jpg (http://s374.photobucket.com/user/yellowheap/media/DSCN0494_zps0a8445b5.jpg.html)

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo186/yellowheap/DSCN0577_zpsbabec525.jpg (http://s374.photobucket.com/user/yellowheap/media/DSCN0577_zpsbabec525.jpg.html)

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo186/yellowheap/DSCN0436_zps3de217bb.jpg (http://s374.photobucket.com/user/yellowheap/media/DSCN0436_zps3de217bb.jpg.html)

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo186/yellowheap/DSCN0454_zps51f82493.jpg (http://s374.photobucket.com/user/yellowheap/media/DSCN0454_zps51f82493.jpg.html)

SanFranFlyFish
04-25-2013, 11:19 AM
With apologies....

More photos and comments on FB. too many to move over to Speypages. Go see:

Dmytro
04-25-2013, 11:20 AM
To avoid huge post with all photos and for those who can't view Facebook album, I've placed my images here : SOR_2013 (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dhhaabyeey8g506/cp24bfYtkt).

They are not sorted by date, but I think it will not cause any problem :)

middlecalf
04-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Dmytro, awesome pics. Thanks for sharing.

SanFranFF - I read the regulations and see that "pokes" are allowed, did anyone use a poke (intentionally)?

Simon Hsieh
04-25-2013, 03:36 PM
It was another wonderful year at SOR 2013. Thanks to GGACC for you hospitality and your hard work to make this event happen.

GEAFORCE team is strong and congrates your victory. We are fortunately to witness Gerard Downey's big score and his win. Good Job James and good team.

Mia pull down another title. That was amazing to see you cast so many on concrete within the 6 minutes. Also Congrates to Marcy and Anita for your excellent casts.

Finally, this year is very special. We have a big gun break the 15' spey World Record with 191 feet (58.22 meters). He is Geir Hansen from Norway. Here is a copy of an interview Video (http://www.nextcastproducts.com) about how he explains/executes the cast in details
(if video link does not work, go to Nextcast website listed just further below).

SanFranFlyFish
04-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Hey Simon, I like the new look of the Nextcast website. Congrats.

SanFranFlyFish
04-25-2013, 06:35 PM
SanFranFF - I read the regulations and see that "pokes" are allowed, did anyone use a poke (intentionally)?

Yes, Loc Vetter. Everyone else used lines in the 70' range - so no poking for them.

Molly Spey
05-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Arriving at the ponds from the Red Shed, the Tuesday after Spey O Rama, I caught the tail end of the hoopla that went over the previous week. New lines and rods abound! I fully expected to be able to read reviews of the new product lines, especially with what was accomplished with GaelForce rods and lines, and then the distance record being beaten with a NextCast rod. I would have also thought Gene Oswald would have had some of the new Bruce and Walker rods with him. There isn’t even a bit of chatter about the products and about what’s next for the team in green. I had to call a friend and ask him how the GaelForce line and Bruce and Walker rod cast. The silence about all that went on is deafening.

fredaevans
05-09-2013, 11:15 PM
"I had to call a friend and ask him how the GaelForce line and Bruce and Walker rod cast. The silence about all that went on is deafening."

Ditto, I'd like to know more about these bits of equipment too.

rivertooth
05-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Thank you Simon on the kind words and congrats on the world record being set with a Nexcast rod and line. What an amazing cast that was Geir. Your website looks great too, love the Sasquatch;) Cheers, Mia

Kluev
05-10-2013, 01:37 AM
Many thanks to the organizers! You are the best rebta! Holiday Super!!!!! This is the best place in the world. The most complex rules!!! Here, and only the best can be found here casting men!!!!! This is an amazing time. For 2-3 years increased by 100 or more feet. Science Fiction. Novagerar landfill is a great guy with a super soft throw, his technique is demonstrated. Real results not demonstrated he is not a man, Gerard-terminator, the black belt. Shao Lin Casting!!!!! James, you have created a miracle!!!!! Ruairi Super!!! Spey o Rama is Heaven!!!!!

SanFranFlyFish
05-13-2013, 10:40 AM
It's not too soon to start planning and practicing.

Official 2014 date to follow.

New Speypages thread started for 2014. Please go to

http://speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?p=482611#post482611