Mini Spey [Archive] - Spey Pages

: Mini Spey

notellem creek
04-11-2012, 06:17 PM
I sent my sage flight 8'6" 3wt into Steve Godshall to have him make a scandi head and bottom grip for it. Turned out great and now This rod will being seing a lot more use this summer!

I have a ross colorado 3 on it for the reel and the scandi head Steve made is 195 grains linked to a zenith 15lb running line. Its a pretty fun little rod to cast.

Thanks Steve.

Tight Lines
Levi

redabby
04-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Like it! I'd like one in 5 or 6#. The Ross Colorado one of my favorites. I think I have 4 of them.
Ken

Redders
04-12-2012, 02:59 AM
Just interested what the is the point of a bottom handle on a rod that short? Isn't one hand enough to spey cast a 8'6 3wt :confused:

klickrolf
04-12-2012, 05:35 AM
Just interested what the is the point of a bottom handle on a rod that short? Isn't one hand enough to spey cast a 8'6 3wt :confused:

One hand is enough...but two is better if you're speycasting.

bender
04-12-2012, 08:40 AM
Single hand Spey casting (fishing small fly) is way more efficient because of possibility to haul. I like SH Spey more fun as well.

However with short rod TH Spey is very good practice because of faster casting pace and after that a long rod is easy.

Esa

willi
04-12-2012, 10:18 AM
One hand is enough...but two is better if you're speycasting.

Ditto..........

zencaster
04-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Dude, that looks like a sweet rig. How far can you throw that line and what size of fish are you landing with it?

willi
04-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Very nice and makes sense to me.

Q- Permanently attached with added graphite extension or screw on?

Q- Custom turned lower or purchased?

Looks like a fine Trout wet fly rod to me ! I like the lower taper configuration .

fredaevans
04-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Good to see Steve G's name and rod building (in this case alteration) in print. Steve came up with some grand 11' glass blanks and I had him build me a switch rod (6/7wt). LOVE THAT THING with the custom cut line that came with same.

Perfect match of equipment from the 'Git-Go.'

Fred

notellem creek
04-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Very nice and makes sense to me.

Q- Permanently attached with added graphite extension or screw on?

Q- Custom turned lower or purchased?

Looks like a fine Trout wet fly rod to me ! I like the lower taper configuration .

It is permanently attached. I sent steve a picture of the lower grip of my zaxis spey and asked for something similar just scaeld down.

notellem creek
04-12-2012, 12:48 PM
the above questions and coments....

I (Steve G) added the bottom hand for something to try because I never used the rod much and thought it would be fun to try. I also rather use two hands then one for spey casting single hand rod or not Its adds to the enjoyment for me and sometimes its not all about doing what is the best, fastest, most used technique but instead just slowing down to enjoy things.

Zencaster,

I havent had it on the river yet (talking a long float saturday to break it in) so Im not sure on the full distance I can get... as a general rule for my casting take what a good caster can cast then - 50% for my distance. I like to tell people I cast short because I like to watch whats going on and it has nothing to do with my casting skills :hihi:

as far a fish size goes for the rod. Ill be using it to swing soft hacles and wets to bows' and cuties in the 8-16" range.

Fred,

Ya Steve is the man when it comes to lines and rod work. He has made many lines for me and they have all been great!
If your up in the springfield area and want to swing some wets for trout this summer let me know and we can take out my little RMT on the lower mckenzie. Bring one of those glas rods though so I can try it out :)

willi
04-12-2012, 01:08 PM
It is permanently attached. I sent steve a picture of the lower grip of my zaxis spey and asked for something similar just scaeld down.

Luv it- really like the handle profile,design,configure and that it was perm. installed..........very nice.....nice job. Put up some pics of Trout, soft hackles,etc. some time.

Thanks for sharing.

notellem creek
04-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Luv it- really like the handle profile,design,configure and that it was perm. installed..........very nice.....nice job. Put up some pics of Trout, soft hackles,etc. some time.

Thanks for sharing.

Will do Im taking my dad on a long float this saturday and hopefully he will get tired early in the day so I can hop out of the boat and swing a few runs with it. Check back monday and Ill add a couple pictures of it getting broke in.

raspberry-patch
04-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Answer is Children. When my daughters were young and wanted to join me fishing, I learnt using two hands (mostly overhead) was easier for them to handle.

Nice setup

Grampa Spey
04-12-2012, 02:30 PM
In May, I should have my new Freedom Hawk Pathfinder tricked out, and I should be a fair sailor with it by then. Then, I can start working on the 2 handed fly rods to use with this yak, casting standing up and/or sitting down

I need a 2 handed fly rod about that length and weight.

In my closet is a great little Sage GIII 490. I will have to contact Steve to see what he can do with that rod to DH it and the cost of a SGS line.

I, also, have a Sage GFL 580 RPL that might be inhanced by Steve's handy work.

Steve if you are reading this, pm me.

I sent my sage flight 8'6" 3wt into Steve Godshall to have him make a scandi head and bottom grip for it. Turned out great and now This rod will being seing a lot more use this summer!

I have a ross colorado 3 on it for the reel and the scandi head Steve made is 195 grains linked to a zenith 15lb running line. Its a pretty fun little rod to cast.

Thanks Steve.

Tight Lines
Levi